PDA

View Full Version : Darn it.

Peaveywolf
Mar-21-2012, 19:34
I was happy with my frame rate til I downloaded Fraps. Never noticed it was under 30 fps, happy in my ignorance. Now I am just plain paranoid. Oh well, ;)

Dutch
Mar-21-2012, 19:36
Post up your system specs Peavey mate, Everyone here'll do their best to help out.

Peaveywolf
Mar-21-2012, 19:43
Nah, cos they are s***e ;) You would say get a new computer ;)

Dutch
Mar-21-2012, 19:45
Not at all! There are blokes happily flying with dual cores and old gfx cards. Can't hurt!

Peaveywolf
Mar-21-2012, 19:47
Apple Mac Pro 1.1 circa 2007, 4 cores over 2 5150 Xeon processors running at 266, 4 gig of ram, Nvidia 460 gts, win 7 ultimate 64 bit.

Dutch
Mar-21-2012, 19:59
Okey dokey. GfX card. GTX570 runs the game fine with a i7860@2.8ghz.
The game is very heavy on cards, but the next patch (when, oh when?) may help without spending any money. In the meantime, set all gfx settings to medium but switch on grass, roads and shadows and take it from there. Buildings detail and trees to low also ups the ante.

When you're flying online, the eye candy is good enough at these sort of levels without making your view of the cockpit too fuzzy.

Peaveywolf
Mar-21-2012, 20:13
Will give it a shot, thx Dutch

Peaveywolf
Mar-21-2012, 20:42
Just downloaded MSI Afterburner. Found out that Arma 2 uses about 60% of the gpu, whereas Clod uses 100%

Tvrdi
Mar-22-2012, 05:44
Wolf how you set your ingame video settings?

Peaveywolf
Mar-22-2012, 07:09
Well I actually have everything on high at the min running at 1920 by 1200, grass, roads and shadows on, SSAO, Epilepsy and AA all off. When I go online, I am gonna try everything on medium except textures still on high, cos medium looks absolutely rubbish.

Peaveywolf
Mar-22-2012, 07:10
Arma 2 looks like it is CPU intensive because, whatever changes I make, it stays around the 23 fps mark.

ATAG_Septic
Mar-22-2012, 08:20
I was happy with my frame rate til I downloaded Fraps. Never noticed it was under 30 fps, happy in my ignorance. Now I am just plain paranoid. Oh well, ;)

I wouldn't worry about 30ps, it's plenty. My rig will run CoD at a fairly steady 60fps with some drops but I set it to 24fps as the human eye typically cannot perceive any faster refresh than that. The human eye/brain can perceive around 10 to 12 separate images per second so twice that will easliy allow the perception of fluid motion. Sharpness, fog and movement all impinge on this figure, as perhaps sports viewers will assert but I'm convinced 24fps in CoD is plenty.

Septic

"Edit; I've just read this back and it seems to require a "So Ner!" at the end of it but that wasn't my intention :-)

Peaveywolf
Mar-22-2012, 09:06
I had this arguament the other week with some guy. I said the same and he said he used to be in the air force and they tested the eyes, and he said it made a massive difference up to 60fps. But as you said, I read the same thing elsewhere. I never particularly noticed a difference either between 30 fps and above. I think American tv is about 24fps and english is 29. something

Recoilfx
Mar-22-2012, 10:43
Another thing to recognize is the perceived frame rate. For example, 24fps films look smooth because of the motion blur introduced by the 1/24 shutter. Games don't have that, when presented with images with no motion blur, we can perceive the 'stutters' much higher than 60fps. 60fps seems to be a good trade off between image quality vs reaction time and perceived motion.

According 100fps.com (though no citation is provided on the site), to cover all circumstances, our eyes can perceive up to 500fps (we are very sensitive to flashes, hence the jacked up fps).

Tvrdi
Mar-22-2012, 10:56
Well I actually have everything on high at the min running at 1920 by 1200, grass, roads and shadows on, SSAO, Epilepsy and AA all off. When I go online, I am gonna try everything on medium except textures still on high, cos medium looks absolutely rubbish.

Turn off shadows they are "hungry"...I have trees off also as they still dont have collision model...also go to nvidia control panel and change Texture filtering quality to high performance...Power management mode set to prefer maximum performance.....also set Multi Display/mixed GPU to single display performance mode...

also dont run any of the anti virus applications while playing CLOD or any other game..

MajorBorris
Mar-22-2012, 11:42
60 fps for me...if I can get it. It's most notible when I pan as I notice clearer focus and it feels nice on my eyes w/ no stutter from the vsync.

Peaveywolf
Mar-22-2012, 11:52
I like my cockpit shadows though, if I could turn off the ground shadows only, I would. I know, I am spoilt, I like good graphics.

Tvrdi
Mar-22-2012, 16:35
I like my cockpit shadows though, if I could turn off the ground shadows only, I would. I know, I am spoilt, I like good graphics.

"Spoiled" ppl need best hardware to run advanced sims on their rigs, with max settings ;)

Peaveywolf
Mar-22-2012, 17:30
True, I still think its a bit lame that you can't have different settings for shadows instead of on or off. Sounds lazy. Lets hope the new graphics code will fix all this.

Tvrdi
Mar-22-2012, 18:26
True, I still think its a bit lame that you can't have different settings for shadows instead of on or off.

I agree with you there...maybe there will be in the future.