PDA

View Full Version : Spitfire MkIIa vs MkIa(100oct)

PanTast
Sep-22-2014, 07:57
What are the measurable differences between those two planes?

The wiki states that the MkIa(100oct) is faster at sea level and the MkIIa allows higher temperatures. But what facts should help the pilot to decide wich one to choose?

:salute: PanTast

Baffin
Sep-22-2014, 09:23
Dear PanTast,

Without regard to performance, I recommend learning on the MKII and later moving to the less forgiving variants.

In my opinion, each individual pilot should practice with all variants to decide which one he likes best. Many pilots will proclaim the altitude vs speed advantages of the different types, and if you can keep it all straight, pick the best one for your planned mission. But, if you are new to the Spitfire, I'd always recommend the later model to prevent the frustration associated with early engine management. You may choose the perfect "Book" version for low altitude combat, but what good is it if you constantly overheat the engine and have to abort the mission?

For technical differences in the actual airplanes, search for "Spitfire Pilot Notes" on the internet. That's what they called the "Flight Manual" back in WWII. :lecture:

3./JG51_Heiden
Sep-22-2014, 12:29
This may be completely anecdotal in nature, but despite everyone's claims that the Mk1 100oct is faster, I always seem to have the most trouble outrunning the IIa. Again, it could be merely perception, but every time I get rattled by a Spitfire (mind you, that's RARE!!!) it always seems to be a MkII. Keep it in mind from an Expert 109 pilot.

Nightdare
Sep-28-2014, 11:03
Well Heiden, from experience I can say I can push the MkIIa longer and harder than the I/Ia
which would make it easier to pursue, not blowing your engine as fast, staying too long at max temps/revs

I also don't know if most of your homeruns were at sea level

ATAG_Snapper
Sep-28-2014, 12:27
Hi PanTast,

All the comments here are spot on IMHO. The Spitfire 2a is much more forgiving than its 1a 100 octane counterpart in terms of cooling. On the deck in level flight I can maintain very close to 300 mph IAS in the 2a for an extended period of time without blowing the rad.

In the 1a 100 octane in level flight at sea level I can maintain 307 mph for an extended time (15+ minutes) and 310 mph for a max of 5 - 6 minutes before the rad bursts. However, the 1a 100 octane is much less tolerant of high temps: glycol at 120 C will very quickly pop a rad vs the 2a's glycol + water which will survive 130 C for a brief time. I can also achieve a bit better sustained climb rate from the deck to 25 angels in the 2a than I can in the 1a 100 octane (although ironically I find care must be taken not to overheat the 2a above 15 angels or so in a hard climb).

i usually live at 25 - 37 angels in Clod, where the 2a does better than the 1a 100 octane. If it looks like I'll be intercepting fighters or bombers below 20 angels, I'll pick the 1a 100 octane.

Many feel the 1a 100 octane is a little more "nimble" in turn maneuvres than its 2a cousin. I'm too hamfisted to really tell.

:)