PDA

View Full Version : This could be an ultimate card for simmers :-)

Tvrdi
Mar-22-2012, 09:51
- nice performance (yes it beats 7970 hehe)
- adaptive VSYNC
- support for 4 displays
- finally powerfull card from nvidia which is less power hungry
- HDMI connector on a nvidia card yaaay :Grin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=YCuejLSnvjU#!

- its pricey for my pocket but I can wait for price drops...or will take 670ti Twin frozr....

Guru3D review:
http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-680-review/

MajorBorris
Mar-22-2012, 11:03
Nice!

335th_GRAthos
Mar-22-2012, 14:32
Hi Trvdi,

I will have to dissagree a bit on the statement. This was supposed to be a middle level GPU (for that reason only 2Gb VRAM) but because of the poor performance of ATI7970 it became a top-performer.
At the end we (end users) lost because now NVIDIA sell their middle class model at top class prices :welcome!:

The real top class GPU (with the high performance core) is expected in August.

For the German speakers: :hiding:
http://www.tomshardware.de/geforce-gtx-680-test-benchmarks-Kepler-GK104,testberichte-240979.html

The real problem for the COD fans is the 2Gb VRAM :!sad!:
Since CoD uses up to 2,4Gb VRAM we need to see what happens when the 2Gb VRAM of the GTX680 will be exhausted. My experience (from my GTX570) is that the fps is halved :0:

So, I will better wait two weeks as Luthier promised to e-mail me first the new graphics patch... :angrymob:

~S~

Tvrdi
Mar-22-2012, 16:31
Hi Trvdi,

I will have to dissagree a bit on the statement. This was supposed to be a middle level GPU (for that reason only 2Gb VRAM) but because of the poor performance of ATI7970 it became a top-performer.
At the end we (end users) lost because now NVIDIA sell their middle class model at top class prices :welcome!:

The real top class GPU (with the high performance core) is expected in August.

For the German speakers: :hiding:
http://www.tomshardware.de/geforce-gtx-680-test-benchmarks-Kepler-GK104,testberichte-240979.html

The real problem for the COD fans is the 2Gb VRAM :!sad!:
Since CoD uses up to 2,4Gb VRAM we need to see what happens when the 2Gb VRAM of the GTX680 will be exhausted. My experience (from my GTX570) is that the fps is halved :0:

So, I will better wait two weeks as Luthier promised to e-mail me first the new graphics patch... :angrymob:

~S~

Heh Athos, for prices both vendors take the guilt (duopoly on the GPU market)...
now, 2GB shouldnt be a problem since I can run most demanding games at max at 1920x1200 on my OC-ed GTX470 TF2 (800mhz on core) with 1280 MB of VRAM.
Now, lets wait and see how much of RAM and VRAM will CLOD use after optimisation patch since usage is somehow wrong now (too much memo needed). We have memo leak bug also....
Lets wait...but you must admit (if you saw a video) adaptive VSYNC is very good news for simmers....:thumbsup:

335th_GRAthos
Mar-22-2012, 17:56
Thanks for the Adaptive Vsync mention Trvdi, that is indeed good news.

And I read that a 4 GB GTX680 is in the pipeline as well.

~S~

Tvrdi
Mar-23-2012, 05:42
Athos, this somehow proves you was probably right....

http://www.techpowerup.com/162901/Did-NVIDIA-Originally-Intend-to-Call-GTX-680-as-GTX-670-Ti-.html

Recoilfx
Mar-23-2012, 07:40
Well, I guess Nvidia got caught off guard but in a good way.

Originally the Kepler parts were rumored to be released August or later, but then 7970 happened and they had to answer. They aren't getting good yields yet with Kepler, but luckily even their mid range parts are kicking 7970's butt so now we have the 680, heh.

Tvrdi
Mar-26-2012, 06:15
Something about "new" FXAA and TXAA (better than MSAA)
look here (http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviews/1455/pg16/asus-geforce-gtx-680-oc-vs-r7970-oc-vs-gtx-580-oc-performance-review-fxaa-and-txaa.html)

MajorBorris
Mar-26-2012, 09:04
FXAA work very well in skyrim giving 60fps w/max settings.

$500 for what was to be the gtx670 is a rub! at least its better;)

Tvrdi
Mar-26-2012, 16:12
FXAA work very well in skyrim giving 60fps w/max settings.

$500 for what was to be the gtx670 is a rub! at least its better;)

Then again, for the price of 7970 you get a faster card....with physX, adaptive VSYNC, FXAA/TXAA and surprisingly low power comsumption (on def. clocks)...

MajorBorris
Mar-26-2012, 19:03
oh ya the 7970 adopters might be checking there reciepts for the date:0:

jaydee
Mar-27-2012, 05:01
make no mistake,680 GTX is top of the heap right now !.Without voltage adjustments it can be overclocked to 1250 mhz and give up 20% more fps...Whats it going to overclock like With voltage adjustments ?..regarding Vram,2gig on a single monitor is heaps,even for COD !...As soon as Gigabyte GTX 680 OC comes out ill be placing my order !..and like my GTX 580(1.5 gigs),Im sure ill have a big smile on my face....Now i have to find a way to pay for it !...BTW, 7970's are going to drop in price as soon as Nvidia can supply enough 680's for the demand !

Tvrdi
Mar-27-2012, 06:15
Guys, a friend of mine tried the new 301.10 drivers with his GTX470. After installing the new drivers he replaced nv_disp.inf with the one from 296.10. And he said adaptive VSYNC works perfect. Also he got FXAA in nvidia CP and turned this ON after he disabled MSAA in game (F1 2011). He said he gained more FPS with the same visual result on edges. Fantastic news for all GTX 4xx and 5xx users.
Ofcourse to download 301.10 drivers from nvidia site you need to pick GTX 680 from the drop-down list ;)
Later, maybe we will get the official nvidia drivers with adaptive VSYNC and FXAA for 4xxa and 5xx series....

Recoilfx
Mar-27-2012, 08:10
I have 301.10 running on my 570gtx. No need for the AA injectors anymore, as FXAA can be enabled via the control panel. Adaptive VSYNC is cool, but it's not perfect, I still get a bit of tearing at times when frame rate dips below 60fps, but it works much better than with it off and best of all, no more lag caused by VSYNC! :)

335th_GRAthos
Mar-27-2012, 14:38
Thanks for the info Trvdi :thumbsup:

Recoilfix, did you change the inf file as per Trvdi's explanations above or can you activate AdaptiveVsync straight away for your GTX570?

~S~

ATAG_Septic
Mar-27-2012, 15:06
Guys, a friend of mine tried the new 301.10 drivers with his GTX470. After installing the new drivers he replaced nv_disp.inf with the one from 296.10. And he said adaptive VSYNC works perfect. Also he got FXAA in nvidia CP and turned this ON after he disabled MSAA in game (F1 2011). He said he gained more FPS with the same visual result on edges. Fantastic news for all GTX 4xx and 5xx users.
Ofcourse to download 301.10 drivers from nvidia site you need to pick GTX 680 from the drop-down list ;)
Later, maybe we will get the official nvidia drivers with adaptive VSYNC and FXAA for 4xxa and 5xx series....

I gave this a try a few days ago but the installer stopped due to not having correct hardware. Is there a way to circumvent this?

Cheers,

Septic

EDIT; I might just try the 64bit version.......sigh,

EDIT2; It wasn't that.

ATAG_Snapper
Mar-27-2012, 15:35
I got the same, Septic, even tried rebooting in Safe Mode then installing. No joy. (yet!)

This is exciting stuff!

ATAG_Septic
Mar-27-2012, 15:43
I got the same, Septic, even tried rebooting in Safe Mode then installing. No joy. (yet!)

This is exciting stuff!

Cracked it. I was using a faulty modded .inf file, there's a new one now that works, you can grab it here; http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?p=4275053

Scroll down for the working file. :-)

Recoilfx
Mar-27-2012, 16:47
Thanks for the info Trvdi :thumbsup:

Recoilfix, did you change the inf file as per Trvdi's explanations above or can you activate AdaptiveVsync straight away for your GTX570?

~S~

Yep, it was a modded inf from guru3d.com

MajorBorris
Mar-27-2012, 17:41
I have 301.10 running on my 570gtx. No need for the AA injectors anymore, as FXAA can be enabled via the control panel. Adaptive VSYNC is cool, but it's not perfect, I still get a bit of tearing at times when frame rate dips below 60fps, but it works much better than with it off and best of all, no more lag caused by VSYNC! :)

I used the mouse in my left hand for years untill I tr5 but if those drivers eliminate mouse lag that will make a few people very happy:thumbsup:

ATAG_Deacon
Mar-27-2012, 19:20
I have 2xGTX 570's, downloaded and get error message "can't find compatible hardware" and can't/won't install :sad!:

I'm so not technologically proficient :scream:

ATAG_Deacon
Mar-27-2012, 20:09
I have 2xGTX 570's, downloaded and get error message "can't find compatible hardware" and can't/won't install :sad!:

I'm so not technologically proficient :scream:

I figured it out!!!

:doh!:

Snapper, get with me on comms and I will explain :0:

ATAG_Deacon
Mar-28-2012, 09:08
~S~ Snapper,

Per our conversation last night, I got the drivers to work, you have to put the modded .ini file into the folder before you install the drivers. :doh!:

They worked great last night just after I installed them and I was happy as a clam. When I awoke this morning things were much, much different. I use a triple monitor set up and everything was skewed. I was only seeing 1/2 the screen at a higher resolution that I selected. It would not change whatever I tried, it always would start the game at the default for my monitors and only 1/2 screen.

In fixing my issue I un-installed the "new" drivers and rolled back to what works for me. I will wait for Nvidia as the FXAA and the Adaptive V-Synch are fantastic!!!

Hopefully Nvidia adds those with the next rollout for 500 series cards....

~Deacon

ATAG_Snapper
Mar-28-2012, 09:34
Thanks for this, Deak! :thumbsup:

I saw your earlier post last night but was caught up with other non-CoD stuff and couldn't get to my PC to speak with you on TS.

Will give it a go and see what happens! :shocked:

EDIT: Hmmm, getting the same error message re incompatible hardware. No doubt I'm doing something wrong. Probably best to wait for 500- series driver update for this.

ATAG_Bliss
Mar-28-2012, 15:20
Those new drivers sound very promising.

An OT question here: What are the chances the graphics patch actually works with Nvidea/ATI's control panel? :runaway:

Wolf
Mar-28-2012, 18:19
Those new drivers sound very promising.

An OT question here: What are the chances the graphics patch actually works with Nvidea/ATI's control panel? :runaway:

I would think it will all work smoothly. A while back I heard that 1c was consulting with Nvidia to fix connection issues. As it is new graphics from ground up I would think it may work even better with Nvidia than ATI.

Now IF I was to buy a 690 when it comes out.. How the Hell am I going to fit 4x 42" LCD's on my desk... Seriously....

Who am I kidding... My 580 3gig whoops so much ass now I am not going to need an upgrade for 2-3 years. And if this new patch fixes SLI I will plug in my second 580 3gig and die in a pool of my own drool. :)

ATAG_Snapper
Mar-29-2012, 10:10
~S~ Snapper,

Per our conversation last night, I got the drivers to work, you have to put the modded .ini file into the folder before you install the drivers. :doh!:

They worked great last night just after I installed them and I was happy as a clam. When I awoke this morning things were much, much different. I use a triple monitor set up and everything was skewed. I was only seeing 1/2 the screen at a higher resolution that I selected. It would not change whatever I tried, it always would start the game at the default for my monitors and only 1/2 screen.

In fixing my issue I un-installed the "new" drivers and rolled back to what works for me. I will wait for Nvidia as the FXAA and the Adaptive V-Synch are fantastic!!!

Hopefully Nvidia adds those with the next rollout for 500 series cards....

~Deacon

Finally got it to work last night.

The thread on the guru3d forum has gotten lengthy, but more modded display.ini files were posted up. One of 'em actually enabled the 301 driver to install on my PC (I have a GTX 560 Ti vid card). Played with it a bit; the forced FXAA does improve the overall look with reduced terrain shimmering in the distance. Tree shadows still vibrate/shimmer, though. Adaptive vsynch worked but still allowed minor tearing of the canopy frame when I swivelled my head (using TrackIR 5). I found this a bit distracting so I reverted to "vsynch ON". Frame rates are fine; didn't notice any change good or bad.

Was it worth it? Yes, IMHO.

The overall look was improved; hopefully a driver update will include forced FXAA for the 5xx and 4xx cards soon.

An odd effect was that I noticed 109's stand out in flourescent orange against the terrain. But that just might be a glitch in modding the driver that hopefully will be resolved in a future update.

ATAG_Snapper
Mar-29-2012, 10:19
Oh, just kidding about the 109 - flourescent orange thing! :bgsmile:

Actually, they were flourescent PINK!!!!!!:shocked:

ATAG_Septic
Mar-29-2012, 11:42
Finally got it to work last night.

The thread on the guru3d forum has gotten lengthy, but more modded display.ini files were posted up. One of 'em actually enabled the 301 driver to install on my PC (I have a GTX 560 Ti vid card). Played with it a bit; the forced FXAA does improve the overall look with reduced terrain shimmering in the distance. Tree shadows still vibrate/shimmer, though. Adaptive vsynch worked but still allowed minor tearing of the canopy frame when I swivelled my head (using TrackIR 5). I found this a bit distracting so I reverted to "vsynch ON". Frame rates are fine; didn't notice any change good or bad.

Was it worth it? Yes, IMHO.

The overall look was improved; hopefully a driver update will include forced FXAA for the 5xx and 4xx cards soon.

An odd effect was that I noticed 109's stand out in flourescent orange against the terrain. But that just might be a glitch in modding the driver that hopefully will be resolved in a future update.

That just about mirrors my experience Snapper. I'm also keeping them, I can't see any benefit to any other injected fxaa the driver one looks fine :-)

Septic

Tvrdi
Apr-05-2012, 09:28
squeal! (http://www.techpowerup.com/163634/Colorful-Makes-GeForce-GTX-680-iGame-Kudan-Official.html)