PDA

View Full Version : 95% prop pitch on IIa Spitty?

muggs
Oct-03-2014, 13:42
Hey guys, I was on Team Speak last night and Jeepy was saying that he uses 95% prop pitch while flying the IIa. That led to some discussion about RPM and water temp limits. I've been trying to keep my RPMs under 2,700 becuase I've read that's all the engine can take. Now I'm hearing that 2, 700 is more a cruising RPM setting.

So, my question is, what are the true RPM limits and what prop pitch so you guys use in combat situations? Is it possible to go 100% throttle and 95% prop pitch?

9./JG52 Mindle
Oct-03-2014, 13:50
I go 2830 or thereabouts in a 2a. Knock it down a notch to 2750 for cruising. Adjust rads as necessary. I don't use the digital indicators, I prefer the analog sliders.

II/JG77_RC
Oct-04-2014, 04:32
Hey guys, I was on Team Speak last night and Jeepy was saying that he uses 95% prop pitch while flying the IIa. That led to some discussion about RPM and water temp limits. I've been trying to keep my RPMs under 2,700 becuase I've read that's all the engine can take. Now I'm hearing that 2, 700 is more a cruising RPM setting.

So, my question is, what are the true RPM limits and what prop pitch so you guys use in combat situations? Is it possible to go 100% throttle and 95% prop pitch?

Forget about pitch settings. Just worry about your RPM's & water temp. Manipulate the pitch to Achieve the RPM for whatever situation you are in. If your RPM's are where they should be you can run that Spitty (or any plane in game) full throttle all day long.

http://www.theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/wiki/doku.php?id=spitfire_iia

The Team Fusion Wiki:

http://www.theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/wiki/doku.php?id=ju88bomb&do=index

Book mark it and open up the page on whatever plane you are going to be flying on your next sortie.

~S~ !

Nightdare
Oct-11-2014, 11:52
I fly at around 67% Prop pitch, which is about 2600 RPM, 90 Degrees
100% throttle, 50% Rads for a 280mph cruise speed at 110 degrees Watertemps

I know the 2A (and 1A) can handle higher RPMs, but this way I got piece of mind that when I've got to go flat out, I got about a minute longer to push it, before temps start getting hairy

Roblex
Oct-12-2014, 02:00
I fly at about 90% in both 1a 2a. I don't usually reduce it (to about 60%) unless I am on a long cruise at altitude.

I have seen people spend the whole flight on 50%, even in combat. While the spit will fly happily at 50% pitch, it means it does not accelerate or decelerate very fast so it can be harder to keep the optimum distance behind an enemy in a dogfight and very hard to gain alt once you have scrubbed off some speed. This speed control issue is also the reason why you should return to 100% when preparing to land.

SorcererDave
Oct-12-2014, 09:37
Like RC said, the only thing you need to really worry about is Water temp. In the IIa you can run it right up to a limit of about 130 degrees, which allows you to do some fantastic power-climbs at 110% throttle and around 85-100% pitch for short periods, which you can't do in the Ia. However if you're desperate to know other peoples' settings:

Casual cruise:
100% Throttle 80% pitch 50% rads.

Low altitude combat:
110% throttle, 83% pitch 65&% rads (bumping the rads up to 75% and sometimes throttle down to 100% in climbs).

High altitude combat (Angels 18+):
110% throttle, 90-100% pitch, 50% rads.

Those are actually the settings I use in the Hurricane since that's the only red fighter I really fly these days, which has a lower max temp. You can push the IIa harder than these settings, but just watch the water temp.