PDA

View Full Version : What really p***es me off

Peaveywolf
Mar-25-2012, 18:17
The peeps over at the yellow forum. We haven't even got the performance patch and now they are bitching on about the gameplay. Christ, lets get the engine sorted before riling 1c up even more. I know the game was rushed out, not 1c's fault, but patience is a virtue. This game will be so good a year down the line.

ATAG_Snapper
Mar-25-2012, 18:54
I think that ultimately it will be 3rd party mission & campaign designers that will rule the day in that area. There are so many well-documented technical shortfalls that urgently need fixing first!

Peaveywolf
Mar-25-2012, 19:26
I agree and concur ;)

Peaveywolf
Mar-25-2012, 19:28
But they could at least let em get the performance and stability patch out first before they start asking for more.

ChiefRedCloud
Mar-25-2012, 20:07
As it most likely has been mentioned before, you have to wonder even for those that payed a full $60 dollars for this sim, like myself, why those that are SO digruntled about this sim and it's progression (or not) are still doing here. I mean $60 dollars is nothing to get an heart attack or high blood pressure over is it?

Now IF it's the only sim they can afford, I might feel sorry for them ... :pouting: .... maybe not .......

ATAG_Snapper
Mar-25-2012, 21:40
Agree completely, Chief. Especially when we factor in what we've paid out on PC's, peripherals, upgrades, and all the software we NEVER use! LOL

We all know the high cost of "professional" software in all disciplines. Not just, say, Microsoft Office, but also the Adobe suites (I paid $1700 for their Premium Production CS5.5) and many others. Say Ubisoft/1C: Maddox Games released Cliffs of Dover in a fully finished in every way condition. Optimized to the hilt and drop dead gorgeous, FM's, DM's, flyable aircraft, dynamic weather, dynamic AND linear historical campaigns.....in short: all things to all people done to perfection and exceeding even the wildest expectations (that's right - a Spitfire with properly animated pitch and trim controls!!!!!). Just imagine. What would people be willing to pay? (Including those that just bought their 31st add on for MS FSX):

$50?
$100?
$500?
$1,000? More?

I haven't checked lately, but I know I have over 600 hours logged on Steam -- and CoD is the only Steam game I possess. Would my online enjoyment flying, fighting, comms on Teamspeak, etc be worth at least $1.00 per hour?

I realize many would squawk at this, but even for a missing parts game that I've had so much fun flying, $60 ain't such a bad deal, IMHO! :Grin:

Dutch
Mar-25-2012, 23:09
Meh.

Patch or no patch, I'll fly the bloody game anyway.

Doc
Mar-25-2012, 23:59
Ditto to what Dutch said. No need to wait to wait until patch is out. This rocks now.

Peaveywolf
Mar-26-2012, 03:26
Hmmm, let me think. The amount of ppl that buy games like mass Effect 3, then finish it in a day, the people that buy MMO's and pay for subscritions, then level in a week, then bitch about how easy it was.

Tvrdi
Mar-26-2012, 04:06
Guys, I think for most folks - Its not about the money (although some mentioned money in their frustration)....Most of them are passionate (sic!) simmers....
Big guys can act like a disappointed boys when their toy is broken (or not working as they expected)...I dont see anything odd here. Really.
But I have a proposal....go to 1C forums only to check if there is an update :hpyclp:

Its good for your health :happy

@Peaveywolf - I would really like to avoid 1c forum like topics here....If possible...please

@Doc - I run CLOD on 1920x1200 without problems (all to med except model detail and texture quality at high, no shadows)...as long as theres no effects near (dust, explosions) its OK. Sometimes when more planes are around me it can get slow too. But as you can see If Im able to run this game on 24" screen with my rig (i7920 OC 3.5Ghz, GTX470TF2 OC to 800mhz on core, 6GB of RAM) I suppose I would run it without issues after next patch....I hope

Peaveywolf
Mar-26-2012, 04:24
It wasn't really a 1c topic. It is about the whole attitude really. At the min, even broken as it is, it is still the most comprehensive flight sim out there as far as realism of damage is concerned. I also don't like the idea that they constantly blame 1c for putting the product out as it was, when Ubi were the ones that pushed it out. Their lead programmer left, and now they have nearly rewrote the graphics engine from scratch. They could have left it as it was with a few tweaks,as other companies have done, or thrown it out to the community, but they didn't. They have taken constant abuse from the word go. I take my hat off to em. At least they are writing wrongs and standing up tall.

Tvrdi
Mar-26-2012, 04:54
It wasn't really a 1c topic. It is about the whole attitude really. At the min, even broken as it is, it is still the most comprehensive flight sim out there as far as realism of damage is concerned. I also don't like the idea that they constantly blame 1c for putting the product out as it was, when Ubi were the ones that pushed it out. Their lead programmer left, and now they have nearly rewrote the graphics engine from scratch. They could have left it as it was with a few tweaks,as other companies have done, or thrown it out to the community, but they didn't. They have taken constant abuse from the word go. I take my hat off to em. At least they are writing wrongs and standing up tall.

UBI wasnt the publisher in the Russia where the game was firstly released.
Who knows what happened "behind teh closed doors" but someething can be read from Olegs leaving (in the last moment), premature release etc.
Whatever it was, all will be forgotten if they fix the game. Which I hope they will. So we can bi*ch about FMs then. I missed those times. Ok Im kidding. :bgsmile:

Peaveywolf
Mar-26-2012, 05:26
Very true

ChiefRedCloud
Mar-26-2012, 09:59
But my second point Snapper was WHY do ALL these GRIPERS over at 1C stay with something they obviously HATE. How does this make since? Is Real Life SO bad for them that CloD is their only focal point for hatred? Any Dr Phils out there want to tackle this thought ...... :bgsmile:

ATAG_Snapper
Mar-26-2012, 10:35
Good question, Chief. I figure there's a reason for everything. In most cases I think we can agree that expectations were high, so disappointment was severe. Many of us gripe about various shortcomings of the sim, but nevertheless enjoy the overall experience and fly online frequently. It makes sense to regularly visit & contribute to forums that reflect ongoing activity.

As with yourself, others that refuse to fly it for various reasons but continue to visit the forums to trash CoD puzzle me. Cripes, I don't visit forums of sims I LIKE (ROF, DCS-A10C, BoB2, IL2 1946, etc) because I'm just "not into them" at the present moment. The LAST thing I'd be doing with my time is visiting forums of sims that piss me off!

Some detractors have stated that they want to prevent others from wasting their money on CoD. Uh, okay. I'm sure these complete strangers will fondly remember these $50 saviours for a long, long time. :no. Other detractors maintain that only by their negative presence will the devs make any changes to improve CoD.....that positive posts about CoD will simply lull the devs into complacency. :cowboy. Hmmm. That could be true. I know for a fact that every morning before Luthier pours his Cheerios he faithfully checks these forums to "see what Snapper is saying about CoD today". Conceivably he's checking others' opinions as well, I suppose. :huh:

So, those are my theories on why complainers stay on. I could be wrong, of course. :Grin:

Dutch
Mar-26-2012, 10:48
It's quite entertaining to guess daily how many new threads will be started saying either;

a) Why Cliffs of Dover/The Developers is/are Good

or

b) Why Cliffs of Dover/The Developers is/are Bad

Then having a quick look and seeing how close you were. It's even more entertaining if you have a small wager with yourself, because you always win your own money, whether you were right or wrong!

If you get bored with this, you can change the parameters of the wager to guess how many threads will have either 'LUTHIER!' or 'BLACKSIX!' in the title, although this is admittedly more rare.
:runaway: :hiding:

ATAG_Bliss
Mar-26-2012, 19:11
What's really funny is the post I've been responding to, which I think is pointless. You have people saying how hard the FMB is (which it's virtually the same as old IL2).

You have people saying their squads aren't playing on it because they can't make a mission? My only thing is they must've never made one in the old game. The FMB, especially the one for IL2COD is fantastic.

I guess I should just lay off over there. All I'm dealing with is the forum warrior crowd that hasn't done one single thing to help the community at all. Typical ;)

Tvrdi
Mar-27-2012, 04:07
What's really funny is the post I've been responding to, which I think is pointless. You have people saying how hard the FMB is (which it's virtually the same as old IL2).

You have people saying their squads aren't playing on it because they can't make a mission? My only thing is they must've never made one in the old game. The FMB, especially the one for IL2COD is fantastic.

I guess I should just lay off over there. All I'm dealing with is the forum warrior crowd that hasn't done one single thing to help the community at all. Typical ;)

CLODs mission editor is so intuitive that even a creepie like me can do a decent job. They must try ROFs editor :hpyclp::bgsmile:

ATAG_Snapper
Mar-27-2012, 07:56

Heh, I saw that thread and shook my head. You can tell 'em, but you can't tell 'em much. The main FMB detractor has another thread detailing his protracted communication problem with Steam that seems to center around his AOL mail account. 'Nuff said.

Dutch
Mar-27-2012, 08:15
All I'm dealing with is the forum warrior crowd that hasn't done one single thing to help the community at all. Typical ;)

Amen. I don't believe in 'ignore lists', but i've been sorely tempted recently, with one in particular. The bloke really winds me up like no-one else. Problem is, once I start an ignore list I'm afraid I won't stop. :Grin:

It just seems that a certain faction will now say anything to bring on yet another protracted argument about how Cliffs isn't as good as IL2. Tedious and erroneous.

ChiefRedCloud
Mar-27-2012, 10:41
As with yourself, others that refuse to fly it for various reasons but continue to visit the forums to trash CoD puzzle me. :Grin:

Errr ....:blush!: ... can you clarify this? I mean I fly CloD because I like it ..... I, as others have my thoughts, but 99% of the time I stand up for CloD. Did I misunderstand here .... :pouting:

ATAG_Snapper
Mar-27-2012, 10:49
Ooops, poor sentence structure on my part, Chief. Meant to say, "As with yourself, I'm puzzled by those......."

My Grade Nine grammar teacher would've rapped my knuckles (not YOU, Knucks!) for that one! LOL

ChiefRedCloud
Mar-27-2012, 10:54
Ooops, poor sentence structure on my part, Chief. Meant to say, "As with yourself, I'm puzzled by those......."

My Grade Nine grammar teacher would've rapped my knuckles (not YOU, Knucks!) for that one! LOL

Thanks .... :thumbsup: I was hoping I wasn't as bad as it sounded ..... :blush!:

Dutch
Mar-27-2012, 11:42
You rap Knuckles all you like Snapper mate. He deserves it all. :Grin:

[FFCW]Urizen
Mar-29-2012, 23:04
Amen. I don't believe in 'ignore lists', but i've been sorely tempted recently, with one in particular. The bloke really winds me up like no-one else. Problem is, once I start an ignore list I'm afraid I won't stop. :Grin:

It just seems that a certain faction will now say anything to bring on yet another protracted argument about how Cliffs isn't as good as IL2. Tedious and erroneous.

I for one sure as hell canґt go back to PF, if only for the FM alone. Since i touched Clod, i havenґt logged another hour in PF and will never do so.

What most people donґt seem to realize is, that rewriting an engine from scratch will take at least 1 month (for a team like epic or crytek with dozens of programmers) or more for smaller teams like 1C. Optimistic estimate of mine was at least 3 months until alpha stage, realistic estimate 5 months. Seems more like my optimistic estimation becomes true and even surpasses it.