PDA

View Full Version : He 111 vs JU 88

Peaveywolf
Mar-28-2012, 05:25
Hey, I think the title says it all. Are they both medium range bombers doing the same job.

MajorBorris
Mar-28-2012, 06:16
In level bombing the he 111 has better defensive armor and weapons but is a little slower. The auto pilot works on the He111 in CoD;)

Ju88 carries a larger bomb load and is more versitile being able to dive bomb and carry torpedos. Why not learn both, we have training pilots for each type!

Peaveywolf
Mar-28-2012, 08:10
Well I finally managed to take off and get to a target sight in the JU 87, at a very low rate of climb I must admit. Still wasn't high enough to dive bomb though. Do you have to be over 3 km high.

ATAG_Septic
Mar-28-2012, 08:29
Well I finally managed to take off and get to a target sight in the JU 87, at a very low rate of climb I must admit. Still wasn't high enough to dive bomb though. Do you have to be over 3 km high.

I'm not at all expert in the bombers despite flying them, red and blue, most of the time. I am useless at dive-bombing and need to practice but so far this is my thinking;

The JU87 doesn't need to be at 3k. The main thing is to set the dive brake pull-out height (600m seems to be popular amongst the knowing). I know you can dive-bomb from 1500 mtrs with this setting. I would like higher altitudes if alone to avoid flak. The main tip I have for the Stuka is your water radiator. It only opens once engine is running and the switch needs to be held (there's two switches on the top left dash) until the indicator dial (top right) is half open or so. Throttle and prop pitch at around 75% (can go higher with throttle) and you'll climb.

Hope this is some use until the experts log on :-)

Septic.

Peaveywolf
Mar-28-2012, 09:01
The main tip I have for the Stuka is your water radiator. It only opens once engine is running

Aha, wondered where I was going wrong. Was opening without the engine on. I only made it last time cos when the airframe started juddering I thought I would try opening em more. Thx for that.

III./ZG76_Keller
Mar-28-2012, 09:32
My procedure for the Stuka:

Take off:

Rads fully open.
No flaps.
Full throttle and full coarse prop pitch, reduce prop pitch to 92% once wheels are off the ground.

In flight rules:

Do not set prop pitch to 100% until above 1500m.

Use WEP (Afterburner) only if engines are cool, engine will begin to stutter if it gets too hot - immediately turn off WEP.

Supercharger only when above 3200m, reduce prop and throttle to 60% when supercharger is engaged.

When approaching 3000m engines will run cool if WEP and Supercharger aren't being used, you can begin to close radiators to 50% as you level out.

Dive Bombing:

Set dive altitude - A good height for land bombing is 640m, for water 600m. This is for a 90 degree dive, lesser angles may use lower dive altitudes.

Before diving - Arm Bombs, close rads, feather prop, throttle to idle, engage air-brake.

After diving - Disengage air-brake, increase throttle, increase prop to 92% (you will again be below 1500m), open rads.

Notes on the Stuka:

Prop pitch will govern speed more than throttle will. When on final approach to land reducing the prop will slow the plane down more than just cutting the throttle alone, all the Jumo engines seem to work this way.

Stuka will have trouble getting to higher altitudes without using the supercharger.

WEP is a toggle switch, you must turn it on and off manually, it is not automatic like the Bf-109. Engine temperature will determine how long you can use the WEP for.

Stuka will out-turn any Spit or Hurri; use this to your advantage.

Stuka will pull out of almost any stall, forcing a stall can be a wise tactic for evading an enemy.

If I think of anything else I'll add it later. :salute:

Peaveywolf
Mar-28-2012, 11:54
Hmmm, didn't pull out a spin last night. Thanks for that Keller ;)

Doc
Mar-28-2012, 12:21
You are not BaronBonBaron are you??

Peaveywolf
Mar-28-2012, 12:37
Heh, nope, it was about 6.30GMT. Over in England trying to divebomb a ship.

KGJ54Lord_Pyro
May-20-2013, 16:25
What changes have been applied to the Ju88 in particular? I tried to fly with a mate (he as bombardier) and so far everything went fine but somehow my engines start to die what didn't happen prior the fusionpatches. The enginelimmitations i took your wiki and i was within the continuous settings (1,1ATA - 2100 RPM). We noticed, that my oiltemps said about 40 deg while my mate could read 80 deg's. He also got the message that we have some oilproblems (but it seems like i have disabled these messages). Thing is, i used to fly that plane for hours without enginefailures. IIRR the Ju88 has no Oilcoolant, operated by the pilot, i tried to open it anyways though. Or might it be some superchargerissue? I read about he is able to blow the engine if applied while to much engineforce is set. But as i said, the engines run at max cont. settings.

So did i miss something?

Torric270
May-20-2013, 16:44
What changes have been applied to the Ju88 in particular? I tried to fly with a mate (he as bombardier) and so far everything went fine but somehow my engines start to die what didn't happen prior the fusionpatches. The enginelimmitations i took your wiki and i was within the continuous settings (1,1ATA - 2100 RPM). We noticed, that my oiltemps said about 40 deg while my mate could read 80 deg's. He also got the message that we have some oilproblems (but it seems like i have disabled these messages). Thing is, i used to fly that plane for hours without enginefailures. IIRR the Ju88 has no Oilcoolant, operated by the pilot, i tried to open it anyways though. Or might it be some superchargerissue? I read about he is able to blow the engine if applied while to much engineforce is set. But as i said, the engines run at max cont. settings.

So did i miss something?

Make sure you have both water and oil radiators open and that they are open for both engines. It happens to me every now and then that after starting eng #2, then you start opening rads then it only happens for eng #2 as all engines have not been selected.

For easy start up, open both water and oil rads to 100%, then start the engines.

I have both water and oil rads bound to keys rather than trying to find the oil rads over the left shoulder behind the seat.

Were you reading engine temps off the engine nacelles? (cowlings)

The only other thing I can think of is that you only had one engine selected and you had one engine still screaming at 2400 rpm.

Let me know.

KGJ54Lord_Pyro
May-21-2013, 01:17
Ich checked settings for both engines. It seems i have to do the thing i always avoided so far... I have to enable these throttle/radiatorindicatorbars. They should tell me about the actual coolantperformance.

Or are there any other indications? The Ju87 has one for the watercoolant but in Ju88 or He111 i never found some...

Torric270
May-21-2013, 02:08
Ich checked settings for both engines. It seems i have to do the thing i always avoided so far... I have to enable these throttle/radiatorindicatorbars. They should tell me about the actual coolantperformance.

Or are there any other indications? The Ju87 has one for the watercoolant but in Ju88 or He111 i never found some...

In the 88 there are dials for the water rads to the left of the pilot seat behind the prop pitch knobs but none for the oil rads that I could find.

The 111, the oil rads are 2 levers on to the left of the pilot below the throttles, the water rads you can go to the lower nose gunner and look back at the engines and you can see your radiators move up and down.

KGJ54Lord_Pyro
May-21-2013, 03:02
To view left behind the seat in Ju88 is almost impossible for me (although i use track ir).
Would be great if future Fusionpatches change some of the restrictions for headmovements for the bombercrews. I dont know why the pilots shouldn't be able to bend sideways and look behind the seats. Or the He111 bombsightoperator. He has a real small turningradius, he can even turn 90deg sideways. I dont get the reason for this. It would be great if the pilot could shift some navigational tasks to him but right now it's pointless.

Roblex
May-21-2013, 05:12
I always run with 50% oil rads from getting in the cockpit onwards and generally run on full throttle the whole sortie and have only once had an oil system problem.

The only possibilities I can suggest are:-

Taking off before the engines are warm enough. Technically they need 40 degrees oil temp but I am usually taxiing out at 20 and don't look at temps before take-off. I suppose if you just took off from where you spawned without waiting then you might overstress a cold engine.

Running on full revs too long. You can't run full throttle at 100% pitch (12:00) for more than 1 minute. If you don't change to 10:30 soon after wheels-up then you might think you got away with it but the damage is done and the engines will fail later unless you treat them extra gently. Even running the engines at the orange mark (2300) can damage the engines after 30 minutes.

Engaging supercharger at full revs. This is where I did blow my oil seals; I was having trouble maintaining climb and tried raising the revs briefly to see what effect it had then immediately remembered I had not engaged the supercharger. Thirty seconds later the engines started failing.

KGJ54Lord_Pyro
May-21-2013, 05:32
I stood down aprox 10min and pressed the oilcoolantbuttons but had no reference about how far (or even IF) they opened. Vuess i really have to enable these lameass indicators... Taxi was 1 or 2 mins and i immideatly throttled back to 1,15 ata 2100 rpm ad my feet liftet from the ground. I even feared the climb settings, going straight to continuous setting. But the more i read here the more i suspect the oilcoolant to be the culprit. So i will look into this asap. Unless rof doesn't offer the possibility to let the crew use the bombingsight instead of the pilot (and most likely BoS wont change that) CloD is the only way to do this job as it should be done. By multiple persons!

1lokos
May-21-2013, 10:28
Unless rof doesn't offer the possibility to let the crew use the bombingsight instead of the pilot (and most likely BoS wont change that) CloD is the only way to do this job as it should be done. By multiple persons!

In Ju-88/He-111 are the possibility to engage Autopilot (Not offline IA Autopilot) before go to bombardier position.
Is worst in Blenheim and Br.20 (this at least has aileron trim).

Sokol1

KGJ54Lord_Pyro
May-21-2013, 13:34
In RoF it is also possible to let the AP take over while you bomb. But thats by far not as cool as letting a human do this in multiplayer.

The problem was really the oitemperature. Knowing this should prevent me from overheating again.