PDA

View Full Version : German equivalent of mix

Peaveywolf
Mar-28-2012, 08:31
Sorry guys, I have loads of questions. I know the mixture in Brit planes adds to the rpm's when it gets leaner. Would the same apply for the prop in the German planes. I notice that when the prop is high, it starts to whine, so do I lower this to add to the rpm's, as you would go up gears in a car. Or is it something to do with the oil radiator, which the Brits don't have either. I know that if you lower the prop too far it cuts out the engine.

ATAG_Septic
Mar-28-2012, 08:37
Sorry guys, I have loads of questions. I know the mixture in Brit planes adds to the rpm's when it gets leaner. Would the same apply for the prop in the German planes. I notice that when the prop is high, it starts to whine, so do I lower this to add to the rpm's, as you would go up gears in a car. Or is it something to do with the oil radiator, which the Brits don't have either. I know that if you lower the prop too far it cuts out the engine.

You're spot on with the gear analogy for the prop-pitch. The simplest way to describe its use is it keeps your revs at the desired rpm (~2300 for the 109s?). The axis engines seem quite robust unless over-revved for too long.

Mixture in the allied fighters can just be left on full-rich, but I like to adjust it to where the exhaust flames are just turning blue from orange.

Hope this is some use.

Septic.

Doc
Mar-28-2012, 09:32
I think of it as a gear box or transmission. But you are correct.