PDA

View Full Version : Target for your stones - A very informal user "preview"...

1lokos
Oct-23-2014, 14:24
Again a "very informal", this is just to create a figure about a review - I am not qualified to do a proper one. And target for people word'ammo. :)

Important say that I don't dare start the "Campaign for unlocks", no motivation for do this...

I confess I twisted my nose at the idea of ​​this game after reading the first informations about the Russian forum (2012/13) - the unlocks are not "last weeks" surprise for me - but I confess that the end result positively surprised me a bit. And much bad impression about some features was created due to excessive "OMG, wonderful fanboy'ism" on official forum and his "ISIS patrol" attitude against "infidels". "Water under the bridge".

The commented items are the same used by Combatsim.com to review O.M. il-2 Sturmovik back in 2001, I add Documentation category (EDIT) and Performance.

BTW - I quote others il-2 as reference, not as comparison!

Take your stones. :devilish:

Setup and Installation

Install the game - Easy to do, download a client that download and install the game.
Advanced users can easy install outside of Program files - location probable culprit by "lost key binds, no saved inverted axis" (these typical "Behind keyboard Bug's).
Updates are automatic.
Is almost "behind keyboard bug's" proof (but you know, people and the Murphy Law...).

Setup - Easy and simple for Graphics, choose one of three pre-set (questionable be many) options, set Sound options accord you hardware (advisable set in game volume in ~100% and reduce in Windows control to don't lost some sounds - the old O.Maddox recipe), hit Apply. Done.

Confuse for Controls due bad language translation, controls names, harmed by the "Less button is better" (really? With ~6 keys only for oil radiator, 6 for elevator/stabilizer trim...) dumb rule, bad key choice for primary controls like use "Ctrl+F" for flap Up, what cause delay problems with external HOTAS software. The use of modifiers (Alt, Ctrl, Shift, Win key - R or L) should be reserved for secondary/less used commands.
The new players (and some "old farts") will have hard time in understand/configure controls.

Graphics

Very good terrain, clouds, a bit overdone sky dome, good planes model and cockpits, shadows and light effects, good but no impressive textures (the "show car varnished painting" on WWII military
planes is little dubious (IMO))... Smoke, leaks and fires a bit "Hollywood" - mater of personal taste.

Damage Modelling

Although the hit-box for various parts/controls seems relatively few, the overall is good in "Release" version, planes came down due diverse causes.
The physical effects added in DM is "love or hate", is nice see hit wings broken off due G, but is dumb see planes flying with the rear fuselage visibly "broken" and "shaking" like a fish tail...

Flight Models

Good flight sensation... I leave more comments for "forum experts" - specially about Luftwaffe planes. :)
Very good stall warnings, spin is not common, if one don't "broken" the joystick , and is easy to out from then.
The fly is bit "waved", what make small last second aim corrections difficult.
On overall the FM is easy to handle, excluding the landing with all planes "boing-boing" tendency...
Due the "Less button is better" will be very difficult for new players pilot without rudder control on twist or pedal, due lack of key option to centralize the rudder.

Sound

Very good, but suffers the same bug of CloD - you hear your hits on enemy planes if under ~100m radius (Probable both games use the same 3rd party sound engine).
Although I don't remember hear the il-2'46/CloD "Batfink Supersonic Sonar Radar" bug: hear the engine of enemy planes on your 6'.

Environmental Effects

Very good clouds, his varieties, the snow falling, a bit exaggerated "blur". Will be nice if the traditional il-2 early morning fog was added.
Smokes and fires on ground is good, but not spectacular.

Training

Well, the SP Campaign come with four easy "test flights" - if the new player pass them successfully is qualified to play the SP Campaign... Assumes that he made the basic flight instruction at some "Link Trainer". Better consider this N/A for avail... since deserves... 0.

Honestly, few WWII sim's excel in this matter, I remember a good animated tutorials in some MS CFS.

N/A

Difficulty

Good options for SP QM and Single Mission, allowing a good flexibility in set options for flight and aids for engine control, navigation and external ordnance aim, but due the "Less buttons is better" rule have some options tied together like see Digital Instruments and "GPS", resulting in less flexible options than desirable, boring the "hardcores" and difficulty things for casual player in SP Campaign, eg. no Padlock in NORMAL mode.

A curious thing is, the new player that choose NORMAL mode will fly with the same FM of EXPERT mode, since no FM simplifications is available in the first mode.

Taking as reference il-2 (1941) difficult configuration options, good at release, excellent with TD expansions due the big flexibility added. Here "more is better".
This "Less buttons is better" rule end applied in wrong places, lack important options (no center key for rudder) but have things like key for "Shoot at balloons"...

AI

The "AI use same FM as player" result in visually ugly AI flight, canted, weaved and sometimes "flapping" wings...
The Skuka seems use "afterburner"...
On the positive side don't have the trigger to start roll when player get in convergence range like in previous il-2
In QM attack planes circle over target area after drop bombs instead do RTB.
In SM they don't spent the external ordnance on target, but near home base, sometimes on player.
Not really obedient to orders via "radio", CLoD cousins?
Attack planes rarely shoot at you if are in your 6'...
Fighters offer some danger in head-on, but rarely get in your 6, or some times get but don't shoot...
Do good fight maneuvers but Fw 190 do a kind of "Candelaria's Snap Roll" more suitable for (CloD) Su-26...
In resume AI is set too passive (probable due complains during early EA and the target public), is more aerial targets, and due this loved by several people.

Single Missions

Not much options ~15. The action in then is OK.
Not grouped by side and plane type, simplified briefings, lack "history"...
The big drawback is no any kind of stats or report at end, just Refly or Leave...

Campaign

Now is clear that the SP Campaign is oriented for the low cost DVD version that will be available only for Russian market ("two free (to flight) planes" mentioned in DD #80 video) targeting new players, for what the "grind" system fits perfectly. No more comments, since I don't play then:)

N/A

Multiplayer

The traditional "Air Quake" on official servers (admit, is the most popular mode for most of MP players) with different difficult options - is planed more "game" (capture fields...) on these server "on the future". It's OK.
Some "moving dogfight" style maps on 3rd party servers. Incipient at this stage...
Is need wait and see - specially if the ME, Skin Viewer came out.

N/A

Comms

Archaic method to send order to AI - Alt+key shortcuts - few options, some useless ("shoot balloon")... No communication with ground control... Need work.

Online Chat is impaired by the "Less button is better" since no option to leave only players messages on screen, this is part of "HUD".
In these TS times is no big drawback, but difficult communication for non English (or other majority) speak language with those that speak on servers.

View system

Powerful and flexible camera options, probable the best implemented in any flight simulator - it's possible see the signal intensity on the RPK-10 on Pe-2 bombardier/gunner cockpit without
contortions like in... that game.

QM builder

Easy to set missions, set flight altitudes, weather, time, situation, good randomization in the distribution of ground targets, but a bit limited in some aspects, you can't set a ground target with fighter cover, although can set both in same mission, the fighters will be restrict at give area not really covering the targets. Good but could be improved. And is impaired by the "unlock" system.
Have a bug with refly, sometimes the plane start in runway instead of air start set on mission.

Mission Builder

The "Achilles heel" of the game...

N/A

Expandability

At moment limited only to "Unlock Field Mod's" and skins - if achieved in the SP Campaign.
Not defined support for user made skins, and due the lack of ME no user made missions and campaigns available... Need see what that "fews" will do in the next weeks/months.

Gameplay

Not considering the SP Campaign grinding system, have a good fun factor - the fly, the fight, the ambience, impaired by the something passive AI.
With engine aids OFF one get a CEM similar to CLoD - minus the need to turn ON fuel cock before start engine - very good for a non extreme "hardcore" in "simulator mode".

Documentation

No manual, no maps, no official guides... but fortunately available nice ones made by 3rd part (users).

Performance

The game run well with solid FPS, no "hiccups", on i53570k@3.4GHZ, 8GBDDR-3, ATI HD7970 3GB.
Has problems with Launcher at end of missions, sometimes the ESC key dont respond and is need use Ctrl+Alt+Del.

N/A

Conclusion

The game is good and fun, despite the actual restrict SP content and debatable design choices ("Less buttons is better", Unlock Campaign...).
Hope that have "future", what depends much on "community". :thumbsup:

My final 0,02$ is: Don't try see this as "IL-2 Sturmovik II", is not - but as NEW "IL-2 Sturmovik", as game and as brand.

Sokol1

LBR=H.Ostermann
Oct-23-2014, 14:37
S!

Thank you Sokol, I like you review.

:thumbsup:

LuseKofte
Oct-23-2014, 14:56
Yes amd coming from you it means a lot too. Very nice and thank you. Liked it and agree 100%

ATAG_Lolsav
Oct-23-2014, 15:37
Seems a fair review. Kudos to taking the time to make the evaluation.

P.S. i dont own the game and i get in a few lines the general idea

ATAG_Colander
Oct-23-2014, 16:38
http://images.sodahead.com/polls/000623039/polls_DSC_0409_5518_389754_poll_xlarge.jpeg

:)

Arthursmedley
Oct-23-2014, 18:06
@Sokol:thumbsup:

Hood
Oct-23-2014, 19:30
I don't like this review. It is too balanced, fair and accurate. There is nothing to annoy me.

Now I'm grumpy so I'm going to bed.

Night all.

Hood

heinkill
Oct-24-2014, 12:47
Best review I have seen.

H

Logan
Oct-27-2014, 08:47
Hold my stones. :) http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y308/blackwolf_927/KeystoneLight-b_zpsc2ad37ba.jpg Good write up :thumbsup:

LuseKofte
Oct-27-2014, 09:04
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMdV7wBp618&lc=z12it1ljwmqbgzx4z04cdrciltjeddczdhw

Here is a video by Ape over at ACG, he describe a reality the way I relate to. No more no less. I am pleased to see squads can have a good experience in this game. It is much like cod that way