PDA

View Full Version : DK2 for sale

ATAG_((dB))
Oct-24-2014, 03:23
..Brand new DK2 asking 300$

PM me

LuseKofte
Oct-26-2014, 07:23
Where do you live, in terms of shipping this could be interesting to know. 300$ is that full price?

ATAG_((dB))
Nov-02-2014, 09:48
Sorry it is sold :)

Mr Happy
Nov-24-2014, 17:56
Where do you live, in terms of shipping this could be interesting to know. 300$ is that full price?

You dodged a bullet mate. I used Dev kit 1 & later Dev kit 2 with several games. The resolution is so terrible you can actually see the fine black line between the fairly large looking pixels. It does not refresh quick enough. The resolution is horrible and make you feel like you have some sort of blinker around your eyes. It causes motion sickness in any fast paced game, especially dog fighting (tested on War Thunder Arcade & 'Realistic' mode). IMO until they have at least 4k and a refresh rate of 70hz and a graphics card capable of doing that then dont' even bother. It is a novelty that wears off very quickly. I have been a video gamer for over 25 years and have played about 1000+ games on various consoles and several PC's and the longest I could play War Thunder with DK2 was about 20 mins tops, then I had to find somewhere dark and cool to sit and relax to avoid puking. On a normal PC Monitor I can play War Thunder for 8 hours straight with no problems.

ATAG_((dB))
Nov-25-2014, 03:42
Yep it is not a finish product at all, I can see the potential but still far from being ready.

It can however be useful some some users

o7

bongodriver
Nov-25-2014, 18:06
You dodged a bullet mate. I used Dev kit 1 & later Dev kit 2 with several games. The resolution is so terrible you can actually see the fine black line between the fairly large looking pixels. It does not refresh quick enough. The resolution is horrible and make you feel like you have some sort of blinker around your eyes. It causes motion sickness in any fast paced game, especially dog fighting (tested on War Thunder Arcade & 'Realistic' mode). IMO until they have at least 4k and a refresh rate of 70hz and a graphics card capable of doing that then dont' even bother. It is a novelty that wears off very quickly. I have been a video gamer for over 25 years and have played about 1000+ games on various consoles and several PC's and the longest I could play War Thunder with DK2 was about 20 mins tops, then I had to find somewhere dark and cool to sit and relax to avoid puking. On a normal PC Monitor I can play War Thunder for 8 hours straight with no problems.

I on the other hand have had a completely different experience, also a long time computer gamer, I remember when a 800X600 resolution was ultra high, the DK2 is a developer kit and as such is not intended to give any kind of polished game experience, but it does however give a very good idea of what it really feels like to see a virtual world in full depth 3D with natural head tracking, for me that experience has been amazing and there are even 1 or 2 titles that can be played with the current resolution (Elite Dangerous as an example, which I can play for 8 hours straight in the rift with no problems)
from here it can only get better, just like going from 800X600 to 4K it is going to take time and oculus are making sure that what finally gets released is a polished experience and one day we will look back and laugh at the days we used to use monitors for gaming.

ATAG_Naz
Nov-27-2014, 08:55
I on the other hand have had a completely different experience, also a long time computer gamer, I remember when a 800X600 resolution was ultra high, the DK2 is a developer kit and as such is not intended to give any kind of polished game experience, but it does however give a very good idea of what it really feels like to see a virtual world in full depth 3D with natural head tracking, for me that experience has been amazing and there are even 1 or 2 titles that can be played with the current resolution (Elite Dangerous as an example, which I can play for 8 hours straight in the rift with no problems)
from here it can only get better, just like going from 800X600 to 4K it is going to take time and oculus are making sure that what finally gets released is a polished experience and one day we will look back and laugh at the days we used to use monitors for gaming.

I'm with Bongo here lads, agree with everything he said....I bought the DK2 knowing full well it is at a non commercial stage and that it would be a pain in the neck to get working for most applications.... and I was right...but for me, the immersion I get in the games that have decent implementation completely blows me away. You get past the screen door effect pretty quickly (if the game is any good) and I don't get any motion sickness at all. As long as you keep above 75 FPS (granted, you need to machine to be able to do it) the DK2 provides fluid smooth and immersive gameplay. I had to do quite a lot of reading up and stuffing about to get it all working well (each game has its own tricks)...but that's what to expect when being an early adopter of development stage kits.

Luckily for me two of the games that have better implementation are ones that I like (Elite Dangerous and Assetto Corsa). DCS works reasonably well even if I have to turn the graphics down a lot lower than the other two titles... and I tell you what, it gives a whole new meaning to the phrase "keep your head on the swivel". Assetto Corsa is another whole level of awesomeness.

"Each to their own"/"You're mileage may vary" apply in respect to the early release DK2 no doubt. For me, it was worth every penny once I had put in the effort and when the Full retail version releases I know I'll be spending whatever it takes to have a computer to run it properly!

;;)

Infinity
Dec-02-2014, 00:57
I got me a DK2 last month. My impressions: yeah, resolution worse than expected, even though I was trying to keep my expectations in check. The Youtube videos people post are really misleading, it looks much worse when you're looking through the actual device. Head motion and tracking: here they've delivered. Feels much more immersive than trackir. I have't experienced any motion sickness yet; with DK1 I got headache within 5 minutes. After using the thing myself, I think it will be several years or more before our TrackIRs are rendered obsolete for serious flight simming. Still, a worthwhile peak into the future.

Valisk_61
Dec-03-2014, 17:57
It was me that bought it :D

After playing Elite Dangerous, I've turned into the 80's spaceman from the Lego Movie. 'Spaceship! Spaceship! SPACESHIP!!!' Every time I fire the game up I get a sense of excitement that I haven't experienced since I was a kid.

Sure there are the obvious drawbacks of resolution and FoV in the DK2, but this will tide me over until CV1 nicely - thanks Bruce :D

ATAG_((dB))
Dec-03-2014, 18:28
I'm glad to heard that :)

o7