PDA

View Full Version : Brit fighters

Peaveywolf
Mar-29-2012, 17:56
I thought I would try my hand with a brit fighter earlier this evening. I did startup by the book, but when I went to throttle up out of the hanger, it seemed like something was holding my plane back. It just kept whining and shaking. Anyone know the cause of this. Also, one of the smaller hangers doors were half shut. It seemed to rip my wing off.

ATAG_Snapper
Mar-29-2012, 18:38
Hi Peaveywolf,

Sounds like you may not have warmed it up long enough. Water temp should be 60 C before venturing forth.

Those half closed doors are a nasty joke. Yes, you can ease your way through them. Better yet, simply hit escape and respawn and you'll likely be in a larger hangar with fully-open doors or, better yet, out on the airfield itself.

Doc
Mar-29-2012, 19:44
You didn't get a garage remote?

[FFCW]Urizen
Mar-29-2012, 21:28
Hi Peaveywolf,

Sounds like you may not have warmed it up long enough. Water temp should be 60 C before venturing forth.

More important than watertemp is oiltemp, it should be atleast 30°, better 40° before taxiing

Those half closed doors are a nasty joke. Yes, you can ease your way through them. Better yet, simply hit escape and respawn and you'll likely be in a larger hangar with fully-open doors or, better yet, out on the airfield itself.

getting out there in a hurriґs a b***h, spit is a little more easier, just be very gentle on the throttle and use your rudder to the max, squeezing out one wing after another.

Peaveywolf
Mar-30-2012, 02:26
Fickle these Brit planes ain't they. Will try again today. Thx

Peaveywolf
Mar-30-2012, 02:27
You didn't get a garage remote?

Heh ;)

Peaveywolf
Mar-30-2012, 04:03
I thought that maybe's they had chocks on the wheels, was looking desparately in the controls for the chocks off button ;)

ATAG_Snapper
Mar-30-2012, 07:27
Urizen;10462']More important than watertemp is oiltemp, it should be atleast 30°, better 40° before taxiing

getting out there in a hurriґs a b***h, spit is a little more easier, just be very gentle on the throttle and use your rudder to the max, squeezing out one wing after another.

Thank you for those helpful tips, Urizen! :thumbsup:

Doc
Mar-30-2012, 15:41
I've only not clipped a wing once I think. I usually do it the first time right after getting into it. Then I am concentrating more the second time and can get out.

kopperdrake
Mar-31-2012, 06:56
I always get that hangar - think I must've done something really bad in a past life (like vulture that particular airfield). Tactic to get out safely? Look for the centre of the door by looking up, there's a vertical piece of hangar frame in the middle. Then look for a cloud in the distance beneath that vertical, point your nose at it and pootle forwards to that dead on. Right wing out safely then left is most likely safe as well.

Of course, on a nice cloudless day your doomed I say, doomed :bgsmile:

ATAG_Snapper
Mar-31-2012, 09:07
I must confess when I see the hangar doors jammed halfway open I immediately jump out and have an angry word with Chiefie about it. He has unfailingly found me another mount straight away which is free and clear. ;)

ATAG_Knuckles
Mar-31-2012, 10:09
Peavy:

another thing you might or might not know is the British brake system.
American and German aircraft utilised the "Toe Brake System"
Brits have a "lever" (which you map to a button on the stick)
Depress a rudder pedal all the way push the brake button and you turn in that direction. Push the button when both pedals are neutral and both brakes work.

Peaveywolf
Mar-31-2012, 15:19
Yep, they are fickle. Patrolled the skys after 5 false starts, finally got shot at after about half an hour, dived and pulled to the left, spun out of control. Had to eject. couldn't pull out. Ah well, better luck tomorrow ;)

Dutch
Mar-31-2012, 21:02
Yep. It needs some skill to handle the Brit fighters. That's why a lot of people fly 109s.

It's so bloody easy in comparison. Job for girls if you ask me.:runaway::hiding:

kopperdrake
Apr-05-2012, 06:21
Yep. It needs some skill to handle the Brit fighters.

Substitute 'stubborness' or 'stupidity' in place of 'skill' and I reckon you've got a pretty rounded picture of the typical red-side mix :bgsmile:

Doc
Apr-05-2012, 09:00
Yep. It needs some skill to handle the Brit fighters. That's why a lot of people fly 109s.

It's so bloody easy in comparison. Job for girls if you ask me.:runaway::hiding:

Lol

I get more victories in a red fighter in one sortie than I usually do in 2 or 3 on blue. But you get a good blue pilot on you or 2 at the same time then its over.

ATAG_Snapper
Apr-05-2012, 10:35
Substitute 'stubborness' or 'stupidity' in place of 'skill' and I reckon you've got a pretty rounded picture of the typical red-side mix :bgsmile:

That description fits me to a "T". Last night, flying my Rotol in the rarefied atmosphere of 21,000 feet, I spotted a lone contact just slightly below me and down sun. I was able to close undetected to my convergence of 180 yds, lay the pipper carefully just ahead of the 109, and gave him a solid two second burst of my mixed loadout of AP/Dewilde/Ball. (No tracer -- takes 'em longer to react!) Bits & pieces fell off, white petrol or glycol streamed out. A kill? Nope! He zoomed up vertically out of reach, then chased me in a long spiralling descent - neither of us could close the angle for a firing solution. Near the ground he got a split second shot on me -- total systems failure and into the terrain I went.

As Dutch puts it, we don't fly Red for scoring points! :bgsmile:

Doc
Apr-05-2012, 11:17
Found a 109 2 days ago @ 21K over England and I was in the Hurri Rotol. Ended up having to twist and turn dance with him up there. Then he gave up and ran for home. I wouldn't let go of him so I chased him all the way back and started it all over again just beyond the French point where I managed to squeeze out a PK. What a rush.

Dutch
Apr-05-2012, 11:23
I chased him all the way back and started it all over again just beyond the French point where I managed to squeeze out a PK. What a rush.

Wow, you chased a 109 all the way to France in a Hurri and your wings didn't fall off?

I'll never forget diving after GelbeVierzehn in a Hurri and ending up doing a fantastic impression of a javelin as I speared the ground at about 500mph.

With no wings or tail left. :bgsmile:

Doc
Apr-05-2012, 11:29
Wow, you chased a 109 all the way to France in a Hurri and your wings didn't fall off?

I'll never forget diving after GelbeVierzehn in a Hurri and ending up doing a fantastic impression of a javelin as I speared the ground at about 500mph.

With no wings or tail left. :bgsmile:

Well it wasn't what I'd call a dive on the part of the 109 and I was able to keep him in sight though he was out of range for me. I think he didn't see me and became complaisant. Then he turned left 90 degrees over friendly land and saw me turning inside of him. This went on for some time before we started part II. Don't think he expected me to follow. I was on my way back low and the mineboat shot my tail off. lol I always pass over it on blue without a worry.

Dutch
Apr-05-2012, 11:39
Ah, I gotcha. You did a bloody good job catching him again, I know it's not easy! :Grin:

But take it from me, never steep dive after a 109 in a Hurri. It's fatal. But not for him!:bgsmile:

ATAG_Snapper
Apr-05-2012, 11:59
That was good flying and good shooting, Doc! :thumbsup: