PDA

View Full Version : Help a noob

Flyers1228
Nov-01-2014, 23:25
I am going through the training on Il2 COD and trying to get the Hurricane started. Only certain features on the plane will work with the mouse (and yes I am reffering to just the actual modeled parts, ie: throttle, mixture, carb, mags, etc). I click on the handle for the carbs and nothing, click on the mixture and try and move it and nothing, click on the fuel and nothing. I can adjust trim, throttle and a few other buttons with the mouse though.

I have a Saitek x45 and looking for some advice for button mapping for this joystick and throttle as well.

Otyg
Nov-02-2014, 03:13
Here is all the buttons you need. ctrl-v'ed from Lewis excellent guide

Dedicating Essential Keys

To any player new to a full real dogfighting sim and server dedication of keys may seem a very daunting process. In Cliffs of Dover there are over 700 dedicatable keys and axes. However of all the keys that are available for dedication only a few (around 36) are actually essential for competent game play. Knowing which ones these are and where they are will greatly reduce your time doing this sometimes laborious process and get you in the air flying a lot sooner. Remember dedicating keys is a personal choice too, as to where they go on your devices and keyboard is entirely up to you. Spend time flying and re-arranging your keys as you realise when and if you need them during flights and dogfighting, this is the only way to find out. Also as with any learning process the more you fly the more you will become accustomed to where the important keys are at hand until it becomes second nature.

Below are the essential keys for dedication in order as they are in the game 'Controls' list. This list does not include keys dedicated for bombers. It is an introductory list to ease new players into the game to get them in the air and therefore only the more common aircraft from both sides are chosen for initial key dedication, the Bf109 and Spitfire.

KEYS

General

Bail Out
Toggle Canopy (Spits and Hurris)
Jettison Canopy (Bf109)
Toggle Gunsight Illumination
Map

Aircraft

Trim Elevator Nose-Up
Trim Elevator Nose-Down
Trim Rudder Right
Trim Rudder Left
Toggle Landing Flaps
Lower Landing Flaps Position (Bf109)
Raise Landing Flap Position (Bf109)
Toggle Undercarriage
Full Wheel Brakes
Fire Guns (Machine Guns + Cannon)
Toggle Selected Engine(s)
Close Radiator
Open Radiator
Close Oil Radiator (Bf109)
Open Oil Radiator (Bf109)
Boost Cut-Out (Spits and Hurris)
Decrease Propellor Pitch
Increase Propellor Pitch
Toggle Propellor Pitch Automation (Bf109-E4)
Fuel Cock #1 - Toggle

View

External View (For use on servers with external views)
Inside View(For use on servers with external views)
External Padlock - Enemy Aircraft (For use on servers with external views)
External Padlock - Friendly Aircraft (For use on servers with external views)
External View - Cycle Enemy Aircraft (For use on servers with external views)
External View - Cycle Friendly Aircraft (For use on servers with external views)
Lean to Gunsight (Zoom - Bf109)

Camera

Field Of View 30' (Zoom - Spit and Hurri)
Field Of View 90'

Pan Views and Snap Views (These are dictated by the Hat switch on your Joystick or TrackIR if you have it)

Chat

Toggle Net Stats(For Online Gaming)

AXES

Aircraft

Aileron
Elevator
Rudder
Throttle

Cant help you with the hurricane tho..

Osprey
Nov-02-2014, 07:32
I don't know what you mean by carbs tbh. Mixture is either auto rich or auto lean, it is fully back or forward, you can't slide it somewhere in the middle. The fuel tank selector is a clickable on the right side beside the gauges and cycles through the tanks. At default it is on mains, couple of clicks will show reserve.

ACG have more Hurricane pilots than anywhere in COD, if you want to fly this bird well then give me a shout and we can help, check sig for contact details. Will have you killing Huns in no time.

Flyers1228
Nov-02-2014, 09:17
Thanks for the link to all those controls.

Sorry meant Radiator. Well that's the thing, clicking on those things; mixture, radiator, fuel, prop pitch does absolutely nothing. Things that do work with a click of the mouse, Mags, Reticle illumination, Dash illumination, compass, throttle, trim wheel (obviously the last 2 are assigned to my joystick). I see the little hand but clicking, click dragging does nothing. Spent all night trying to figure it out and still no luck. Give this game 1 more week before I just dump it and stick with FSX.

Osprey
Nov-02-2014, 10:05
Well don't do that Flyers, it's probably just a simple misunderstanding because we have no trouble operating all of this stuff. Tell you what, add me as a friend in Steam and I'll catch you online so we can walk through it. Do you have a headset/mic for Teamspeak? Or you can just join our TS (in my sig) and do the same. We'll be doing a campaign tonight @1900GMT and you are welcome to join in.

Some of these are analogue, some digital, and some just give mouse over reads. Some things are worth clicking in the cockpit and some things are better bound to a control. I can talk you through each no problem - give me a shout, this sim really is worth it.

Flyers1228
Nov-02-2014, 11:32
Well don't do that Flyers, it's probably just a simple misunderstanding because we have no trouble operating all of this stuff. Tell you what, add me as a friend in Steam and I'll catch you online so we can walk through it. Do you have a headset/mic for Teamspeak? Or you can just join our TS (in my sig) and do the same. We'll be doing a campaign tonight @1900GMT and you are welcome to join in.

Some of these are analogue, some digital, and some just give mouse over reads. Some things are worth clicking in the cockpit and some things are better bound to a control. I can talk you through each no problem - give me a shout, this sim really is worth it.

Thanks man really appreciate that. I do have a mic and headset. Will add you to steam and will have to get and set up teamspeak. Not sure if I will be able to join in today though. We will have to coordinate a time being in different time zones though.

Thanks again

Osprey
Nov-02-2014, 17:53
OK well that's true but you can always try our TS at your time (see sig) because we have lots of stateside guys in ACG, though if you can get on during a european evening then someone will be online to help i'm sure. I'm away next weekend until Sunday late afternoon I'm sorry, but will try to catch up with you and give you a hand.

~S~

Flyers1228
Nov-02-2014, 23:17
OK well that's true but you can always try our TS at your time (see sig) because we have lots of stateside guys in ACG, though if you can get on during a european evening then someone will be online to help i'm sure. I'm away next weekend until Sunday late afternoon I'm sorry, but will try to catch up with you and give you a hand.

~S~

Alright sounds good. In the mean time I will keep working at it. Been working on the Solo Tutorial. Finally got my controls mapped to the engine controls so was able to start it up and taxi, there quickly set so probably will have to change them as i get more experienced and find out what I truly need set and where on my joystick. Taking off is different story though, think I just need to set up some curves for my rudder control. So much different then FSX when it comes to torque effects.

Osprey
Nov-03-2014, 11:14
Feed the power in slowly and build up speed. If having trouble start with the Hurricane, a delight on the ground.