PDA

View Full Version : Bf 109 takeoff and tail wheel...

b0czek
Nov-03-2014, 03:22
How to steer during takeoff?

I totaly do not understand how tail wheel works. This has nothing common with car turning (even using reverse gear:) ). This thing seems to have 'lag' or some kind of freedom in rotation. I can not imagine this mechanism.

Sometimes plane go straight that after rudder movement turns around rapidly.

Sometimes slow and gently rudder moves work, while sometimes only rapid and sharp turns allows to keep it quite straithg and takeoff...

How to operate with throttle to get airborne - accelerate slowly or full throttle at once?

Even landing seems to be easier...

I love Stuka for having lock mechanism... :)

How to control this?

RAF74_Buzzsaw
Nov-03-2014, 03:48
How to steer during takeoff?

I totaly do not understand how tail wheel works. This has nothing common with car turning (even using reverse gear:) ). This thing seems to have 'lag' or some kind of freedom in rotation. I can not imagine this mechanism.

Sometimes plane go straight that after rudder movement turns around rapidly.

Sometimes slow and gently rudder moves work, while sometimes only rapid and sharp turns allows to keep it quite straithg and takeoff...

How to operate with throttle to get airborne - accelerate slowly or full throttle at once?

Even landing seems to be easier...

I love Stuka for having lock mechanism... :)

How to control this?

1) Make sure aircraft is straight on the runway and the tailwheel is aligned with the nose direction... always taxi forwards a bit at low speed before stopping.

2) Apply power gently to start, 30%... then 50%... then 70%... don't go 100% till the end of the run.

3) Use your rudder to keep yourself straight.

ATAG_Endless
Nov-03-2014, 04:02
When rolling for takeoff you have to anticipate what the aircraft is going to do this does take considerable practice but soon you'll be an ace at takeoff

hnbdgr
Nov-03-2014, 05:10
Alternative method for takeoff that works for me:

Place yourself on the runway into the wind (or anywhere into the wind if there's no one else taking off)

- chocks in
- warm up engine to 60C (EDIT: not necessary)
- Pitch manual 12:00
- elevator trim to take off position (I forgot the number)
- Throttle 100%
- Activate WEP
- Let RPM's climb to 2000 or so
- apply right rudder like 15%-20%
- chocks out

rocket start in a straight line :flying:

(you still have to apply a bit of rudder here and there to correct for deviation and some aileron)

ATAG_Colander
Nov-03-2014, 10:15
This will explain why it handles like that:
http://www.tomark-carts.com/tech-cart.JPG

:)

3./JG51_Heiden
Nov-03-2014, 10:17
Alternative method for takeoff that works for me:

Place yourself on the runway into the wind (or anywhere into the wind if there's no one else taking off)

- chocks in
- warm up engine to 60C
- Pitch manual 12:00
- elevator trim to take off position (I forgot the number)
- Throttle 100%
- Activate WEP
- Let RPM's climb to 2000 or so
- apply right rudder like 15%-20%
- chocks out

rocket start in a straight line :flying:

(you still have to apply a bit of rudder here and there to correct for deviation and some aileron)

With the exception of waiting for the engine to warm up, which is not required, I endorse this takeoff method. It is excellent for short field takeoffs.

ATAG_Lolsav
Nov-03-2014, 10:17
AH! A Colander with wheels. Cool beans! :mullet:

b0czek
Nov-03-2014, 11:29
This will explain why it handles like that:
http://www.tomark-carts.com/tech-cart.JPG

:)

Thanks - that was very good hint to start research (because tail rotation tendency was hard to understand), so I found this pdf: taildraggers :) (http://www.supercub.co.nz/taildraggernotes.pdf)

I know a little bit more know, some more things to practise, but getting some new knowledge is always fun. :)

hnbdgr
Nov-03-2014, 11:58
With the exception of waiting for the engine to warm up, which is not required, I endorse this takeoff method. It is excellent for short field takeoffs.

Thank you :)

I remember a discussion about the warm up somewhere. It's not required, but the engine will not deliver guaranteed power on takeoff if it's not warmed up. It could only prove a problem if you're 100% fuel, perhaps have bombs in a 4/b and downwind on a short runway :) unlikely I know.

3./JG51_Heiden
Nov-03-2014, 15:19
Thank you :)

I remember a discussion about the warm up somewhere. It's not required, but the engine will not deliver guaranteed power on takeoff if it's not warmed up. It could only prove a problem if you're 100% fuel, perhaps have bombs in a 4/b and downwind on a short runway :) unlikely I know.

I have done countless tests on the matter, and as far as the 109 is concerned, there is absolutely no correlation between available engine power and the engine temperature during the takeoff roll. Additionally, as you're advancing to full power with the chocks in, the engine and oil temperatures will rise rapidly, and you'll quickly exceed 60°. You'll be well over 80° by rotation.