PDA

View Full Version : By the Beard of Zeus!

Mr_Burgundy
Apr-04-2012, 15:04
Hi there!

I am brand new to the flight sim genre and was directed here by someone on a forum! I thought I'd drop by and say hello as once I've worked out how to get a plane started...I mean off the ground I'll drop by the server. I can see the vulchers hovering already....

I'm 24 currently applying for the RAF and when I'm not drinking/trying to mount girls I like online gaming. Anything so long as theres no F**King Gnomes or pixies init.

Oh that note I have taken abit of a plunge with this...I've just brought at Saitek X52 flight thing and IL Cliffs of Dover. Anyone know of a new guys guide to get the thing set up?

Oooohhhh

ATAG_Deacon
Apr-04-2012, 15:10
Anyone know of a new guys guide to get the thing set up?

Get a headset/ speakers & microphone/ soup can & string, whatever works for you.

Go here:

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?64-Teamspeak

Download Teamspeak 3, get on comms (Red or Blue) and there will be plenty of folks who will be willing to help.

We've all been new to this at one time or another.

~S~ and welcome,

~Deacon

PS:
so long as theres no F**King Gnomes sex with Gnomes is proscribed on this server. I'm sure you can find that service elsewhere on the interwebs
:thumbsup:

Mr_Burgundy
Apr-04-2012, 18:20
Ok I'll come on tomorrow when my comms are here, I must say though this game looks shocking. I have Yellow/red textures on the instruments and I dunno if I've set my new joystick up right but planes just seem to pull up all on their own?

Dutch
Apr-04-2012, 18:31
Hello old chap! Turn off your 'epilepsy filter' in video settings and the psychadelia will evaporate forthwith.

P.S. Aeroplanes do pull up on their own, unless you a) reduce power, or b) apply down trim.

Chin chin! :)

Doc
Apr-04-2012, 19:12
I'm 24 currently applying for the RAF and when I'm not drinking/trying to mount girls I like online gaming.

Oh man you're going to fit in around here.

I am not sure I'd call the person that directed you to this website my friend lol.

Welcome anyway! :bgsmile: :welcome!:

Mr_Burgundy
Apr-04-2012, 19:14
Thanks Dutch! Thats looks alot better now!

Hmm....last question how does one apply down trim? and what is down trim? struggling to line bombers up at the momment!

Edit: Thankyou for the warm welcome! :D

Dutch
Apr-04-2012, 20:16
how does one apply down trim? and what is down trim?

One sets up a convenient control within the controls menu for both up trim and down trim (and left and right rudder trim and aileron trim, if available in your particular steed of choice), according to one's available buttons or axes on one's joystick! :Grin:

Trims are the things wot allow you to fly 'hands off', with a given attitude, such as straight and level, climb or dive, for any particular power setting.

For instance, if you're flying straight and level at 140mph and increase your throttle setting, the a/c will tend to climb, unless you compensate by adding down trim. Conversely, if you throttle back, the a/c will begin to descend, unless you apply up trim.

At the risk of appearing a wuss, the training exercises in microsoft's flight simulator (cough) are actually very good at teaching you this sort of stuff. Basics of flight etc.

Welcome to a world of perpetual discovery!:happy

kopperdrake
Apr-05-2012, 06:01
Welcome Mr Burgundy :)

For what it's worth - having spent some time in a fighter and less in a bomber, I have found the fighter easier to start off with. Personally I'd start in a Spitfire and get used to her controls - one engine makes things a bit easier (unless some arse has shot it out of your nose, in which case two engines are definitely better), and they really are a forgiving plane to fly. A Hurricane Rotol I found more difficult, though that's what I tend to fly/drop out of the sky nowadays, and a Blenheim is lots of things to watch all over the cabin!

The trim is the wooden wheel on your left, about hand height, just below the throttle and mix levers. Check out your keyboard shortcuts in the game - I assign a couple of joystick buttons to 'trim nose up' and 'trim nose down' - makes it much easier to adjust when changing flying speeds.

Good luck and see you up there (or on the ground trying to start the bugger).

Drake

ATAG_Deacon
Apr-05-2012, 06:13
If you have the room and the money I can recommend the CH Throttle Quad:

http://www.chproducts.com/Throttle-Quadrant-v13-d-718.html

It's a great piece of gear. I have all 3 trims(Elevator, Rudder, Aileron) plus mixture, radiator, and prop pitch on the sliders. There are an additional 12 "buttons" with the toggle
switches. It goes great for any HOTAS set up!

Dutch
Apr-05-2012, 06:46
Or the Logitech G940 has dedicated trim wheels on the base of the main stick;

http://www.logitech.com/gaming/joysticks/devices/5855

(here's a pic, sorry for quality, my phone camera is rubbish)

But you don't need this expensive gear to enjoy the sim/game, just map your trims to wherever convenient, whether on your keyboard or joystick, and go fly!! :)

Herr-B
Apr-05-2012, 07:53
I'm 24 currently applying for the RAF...

May I ask what trade you're going for? I did 12 years and regret leaving (but don't tell the wife!), make the most of it - grab every opportunity to do everything, even if you don't initially feel like it. :thumbsup:

Mr_Burgundy
Apr-05-2012, 08:40
Wow what a response! Thanks to all the advice I recieved I'm now able to start up, fly in a straight line and even land...sort of. You gotta love the fact that tree's don't seem to damage your steed at the momment! Over shot it abit!

I'm using this;

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GC-031-SK&groupid=702&catid=288&subcat=

Seems to work well so far, although this is my first ever joystick, its got plenty of buttons and I've only mapped afew so far but I'm sure as i get afew more hours behind me they'll be a use for the rest.

I'm sticking to the Spitfire as you suggested drake, I think I'm getting on ok so I may venture onto the server over the long weekend! :) Just go easy on the new guy! hahah

May I ask what trade you're going for? I did 12 years and regret leaving (but don't tell the wife!), make the most of it - grab every opportunity to do everything, even if you don't initially feel like it

I've literally hit a wall with it I'm afraid, I had my apptitude tests yesterday and got 51 when I needed 70 to go in as a SNCO. I was going to go in as SNCO Air Traffic Control with a view to move into Tactical Air traffic control. Due to the amount of applicants these days people who would usually go straight to OASC have to sit the airmen/airwoman test and get over 95% correct. Only then will they go through to OASC, according to the recruitment guy (who seemed to have a serious chip on his shoulder). So I'm not really sure what to do I can either take a role that my score qualifies me for...or wait 6 months for my final attempt and see if I can improve my score. Can I ask what trade you were in? :)

Dutch
Apr-05-2012, 09:05
I'm sticking to the Spitfire as you suggested drake, I think I'm getting on ok so I may venture onto the server over the long weekend! :) Just go easy on the new guy! hahah.

The Spit Ia or IIa are the best to go for, as they have constant speed props, i.e. you can set your rpm independantly of throttle setting (Boost). Also the Spit has an elevator trim indicator on the dashboard lower left. It needs a good bit of down trim for level flight at say +5 Boost and 2800 rpm.

The server is the best place to be, with teamspeak. One of the regulars will be only too happy to take you to the cockpit training channel and have you up and running with CEM (complex engine management) in no time.

Those controls on the base of your stick would be ideal for trims, but it's also possible to map them to a hat switch (pov thing) if you have one available.

Any X52 users around? Knuckles? Septic?

Doc
Apr-05-2012, 09:36
What are the operational RPM ranges of the Ia and IIa??

ATAG_Knuckles
Apr-05-2012, 09:41
Yeah I use the X 52 Burgandy: Used it for many years, Feel free to P.M. me or catch me on comms for any questions pertaining to that stick.

Knuckles

Dutch
Apr-05-2012, 10:06
What are the operational RPM ranges of the Ia and IIa??

Well, it's more about the combined Boost and RPM as I understand it, for instance at 6 1/4lbs boost, min rpm is 2080, max 3000, do not exceed 3000 for more than 20 secs in a dive.

Cruising with rich mixture, the recommended is 2600rpm @ 4 1/4lb boost, weak mixture 2600rpm but only 2 1/4lb boost.

(These figs are from the Spit pilot's notes provided with the collector's edition, before the purists jump on me!)

But, 1800rpm and zero boost also gives a nice steady cruise (1800rpm being what you get in coarse pitch with the 2 speed prop), and you don't suffer any damage going up to +6 1/4 boost at this rpm...

Geoff Wellum in 'First light' talks of 2650rpm and emergency boost engaged in combat for 'better response'. Which is the CSP of course.

[FFCW]Urizen
Apr-05-2012, 10:32
Problem especially on the spit1a is its very low speed and hence insufficient airflow through the radiator. at boost 3 lbs and rpmґs at 2650, you hit 94° oiltemp in no time and that with rads fully open. i usually set rpms at around 2500, which keeps oiltemp a bit below 90° and then usually just work with boost settings. that doesnґt mean of course that during combat i go up to 3000 for very short periods, usually after a very hard and nasty turn :angrymob: .
the problem of the spit2a is, its way too fast to use 2650 rpms at any given situation :bgsmile: .

Dutch
Apr-05-2012, 10:51
Interesting! :Grin:

If I'm honest, I take-off at max power and rpm, then back off to 2650 and +5 boost, rad to halfway and pretty much leave it there, unless diving hard with coarser pitch, or climbing hard @ 3000rpm.

I've never had any overheating problems at all using these settings. The manual says max coolant temp 120 degrees for 1/2 hour on the climb or 5 mins 'all out', and 95 degrees on the cruise.

90-95 degrees is the recommended oil temp in all conditions

[FFCW]Urizen
Apr-05-2012, 10:58
then where the heck did i read not to exceed 94° oil :pouting:
btw are those gauges in Fahrenheit or Celsius :blush!:

Dutch
Apr-05-2012, 11:01
Gotta be Celsius. Surely. Must be. Pressurised water/ethylene glycol? Must be celsius.

[FFCW]Urizen
Apr-05-2012, 11:08
you never know what with the brits and their imperial measurement :hiding: :bgsmile:

Dutch
Apr-05-2012, 11:13
Urizen;10810']you never know what with the brits and their imperial measurement :hiding: :bgsmile:

You're not kidding! :Grin:

There's nothing more confusing than buying fuel in litres when your car measures miles per hour, and roadsigns tell you how many miles away you are from your destination.

We used to calculate fuel economy in miles per gallon. Now we buy fuel in litres but still measure distance in miles. Miles per litre? Bloody meaningless to us Brits, but hey-ho, we had to join the EEC.......:hiding:

ChiefRedCloud
Apr-05-2012, 11:14
By Odens beard ........ Welcome :welcome!:

Doc
Apr-05-2012, 11:24
Well, it's more about the combined Boost and RPM as I understand it, for instance at 6 1/4lbs boost, min rpm is 2080, max 3000, do not exceed 3000 for more than 20 secs in a dive.

Cruising with rich mixture, the recommended is 2600rpm @ 4 1/4lb boost, weak mixture 2600rpm but only 2 1/4lb boost.

(These figs are from the Spit pilot's notes provided with the collector's edition, before the purists jump on me!)

But, 1800rpm and zero boost also gives a nice steady cruise (1800rpm being what you get in coarse pitch with the 2 speed prop), and you don't suffer any damage going up to +6 1/4 boost at this rpm...

Geoff Wellum in 'First light' talks of 2650rpm and emergency boost engaged in combat for 'better response'. Which is the CSP of course.

Thanks! I will give this a shot. I don't think I really yet have the hang of any of the red fighters. I am just so so. I have fun driving them. But I am either spot on and a total menace but then the very next engagement I start even if I am at an advantage I am scratching my head wondering how I managed to mess it up. I'm not consistent enough.

ATAG_Headshot
Apr-05-2012, 11:37
With the x-52 I would highly recommend using the large rotary knob on the top of your left hand for elevator trim and the small rotary knob by your left thumb for rudder trim. Assign them on the axis tab in controls not buttons. Personally I found this to be a huge difference in trimming aircraft until I got my ch throttle quadrant.

Mr_Burgundy
Apr-05-2012, 11:55
Oh dear...it seems I have ALOT to learn? I've just been jumping in and flying....I havent looked at any of the dials so far... :blush!:

I imagine you can get more performance out of the aircraft if you know what your doing?:blush!:

[FFCW]Urizen
Apr-05-2012, 12:03
definitely. take the 109 for example and itґs proppitch, if you do not fiddle with it a) you will fry your engine at 1 point or another and b) will never achieve max speed as the prop will actually slow down your ac at some point.

MajorBorris
Apr-05-2012, 12:52
:welcome!: Mr. Burgundy,

If you ever want to get a Ju88 up, I can help;)

Mr_Burgundy
Apr-05-2012, 13:01
Urizen;10824']definitely. take the 109 for example and itґs proppitch, if you do not fiddle with it a) you will fry your engine at 1 point or another and b) will never achieve max speed as the prop will actually slow down your ac at some point.

Does the same thing happen with the Spitfire? It would explain why people speed off into the distance!

Thanks Borris! But I think I've got my hands full at the momment haha!:thumbsup:

[FFCW]Urizen
Apr-05-2012, 13:15
i tend to use lower rpms for higher speeds, i actually donґt know if it is really necessary or not, just being a bit used to it as i flew 109s before.

Mr_Burgundy
Apr-05-2012, 17:51
Guys... I keep reading posts about peoples engines over heating, oil temps being wrong and such like. I've had no such problem now this is down to two reasons; 1). I'm like a totally amazing pilot even though I've only clocked 5 hours or 2). I'm playing some retarded arcade version.

I've seen the realism option in the game options, just wondered what should I change them to to match your servers settings?

ATAG_Knuckles
Apr-05-2012, 18:05
Yes it is a arcade version

and Yes change them to the Server standard

that way you can become just as frustrated as the rest of us:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Mr_Burgundy
Apr-05-2012, 19:38
Is there a topic on the forums for this setup? I can't seem to find anything relating to it. Last question I promise!

Mr_Burgundy
Apr-05-2012, 19:55
Cancel that found the option for realistic....duh.

Dutch
Apr-05-2012, 20:08
Mate, get on the server now. We're all there!

ATAG_Deacon
Apr-05-2012, 21:41
Mr. Burgundy,

Great flying with you tonight :hpyclp:

Can't wait to see you in the server again!!!

~S~

~Deacon

ATAG_Bliss
Apr-05-2012, 22:24
Hi Mr. Burgandy,

Lovin the avatar :Grin:

Mr_Burgundy
Apr-06-2012, 06:50
I had a blast last night before the X52 took a dive, even though the only person I saw was some 109 who took me out. I fixed the flight stick this morning with some super glue! WINZ!

I look forward to joining you again but I have alot to learn still! :)

Dutch
Apr-06-2012, 10:32
I've seen the realism option in the game options, just wondered what should I change them to to match your servers settings?

Heh! Sorry we were a bit busy last night Burgundy! We'll have to pick a quieter time for a more in depth tutorial. :Grin:

The server is 'full real', so go to the 'realism' settings and click all of them on except 'cannot switch positions'. This will give you the same conditions as online play.

If you're around at about 8pm UK time tonight, I'll jump on for a tuition session if you like. Let me know! Cheers. :thumbsup:

Mr_Burgundy
Apr-06-2012, 10:41
Count me in!:thumbsup: I've been having a mare with the realism settings but I've just about mastered taking off with the Spitfire IIa. Mainly due to some usefull videos on YouTube

I'm just having afew problems in the air, like cut outs, keeping it steady (it keeps pulling to the left or right) etc new player stuff really.

It sounded great last night on TS so I'm really looking forward to joining the fray!

:happy

Dutch
Apr-06-2012, 10:44
Excellent! See you later then. :happy

kopperdrake
Apr-06-2012, 10:55
Sorry to have missed it last night :D Guess you've sorted your prop pitch thing out depending on your speed? I tend to whack it right up the scale (fine?) when taking off and landing, pull it back to coarse (about 60% up the scale) when cruising - keeping revs about 2,400-2,500rpm - that's in a Hurrican Rotol, but I use similar in the Spittie, though it tends to bounce a bit more if I get it wrong - seems less forgiving than a Rotol. Mind you - the Rotol is less forgiving when I try and turn at high speed ;)

Having only been flying a couple of months myself, I've found the gauges are useful, but not necessary to have fun, at the start. The really great thing I've found out with this game/sim is that the depth is there when and when you decide you're ready for it. That's usually when you've got Mr X or Little_D on your arse :pouting:

ATAG_Snapper
Apr-06-2012, 11:53
+1 to Kopperdrake's post.

In Realism settings be sure to uncheck Anthromorphic Controls. It's a neat concept that we've found to be less perfect in actual function, so the ATAG Server has disabled it -- as have other Full Real servers.

The need to adjust trim in the British fighters is near-constant, especially in the Spit. I have assigned the rudder and elevator trims to two axis on my CH Quadrant for smoothness and control. Just be sure your trim controls are handy since they're used so frequently.

In an earlier post Urizen rightly corrected me on temperatures (oil & water) needed before take off. After literally hundreds of take offs in this sim, frequently under pressure of strafing 109's/110's or carpet bombing AI bombers from on high, we quickly learn to do the expedient things in order to reduce warm up times and take off quickly. Some of these develop into bad habits which we pass on to newcomers, when it's far better to learn correct procedures first. ( We can always show you what NOT to do later LOL).

Looking forward to flying with you soon!

Snapper

Mr_Burgundy
Apr-06-2012, 12:12
Kopperdrake - I've just been wacking the pitch on full for take off and generally leaving it alone, I havent done much cruising to be fair...I keep getting into spins! haha!

Snapper - Can I ask which trim adjusts the 'level' of the aircraft? I have the nose up/nose down bound to a switch on my stick so thats ok but I find myself veering left or right and requiring constand correcting.

At the momment I'm following the rookie procedures of waiting for Oil temp to be 30c and water 70c before taking off.

Looking forward to flying with you all later!

MB

Dutch
Apr-06-2012, 12:18
Thinking about it, Kopperdrake has a point here, in that I fly using cockpit instruments only, i.e. no information in terms of % this and % that, just the cockpit instrument readings.

But using the cockpit instruments is just as easy in my opinion, and much more realistic, but if you'd prefer to use percentages, let me know and I'll set up the necessary info boxes for tonight.

The 'veering off' is due to a combination of power setting and rudder trim. It's pretty nigh impossible to fly a Spit totally 'hands off', but it shouldn't be too troublesome. Some right rudder trim is needed at all times.

I wasn't aware of the anthrapowhotsit thingy being off, so thx Snapper! :Grin:

P.S. You might want to try reducing the sensitivity in the 'controls' options. At 100% I find them far too sensitive, particularly the rudder. Try reducing to 50% on aileron, elevator and rudder. This should reduce the 'twitchiness'.

Mr_Burgundy
Apr-06-2012, 12:26
%'s would just confuse things, I like keeping an eye on the instruments! :shocked:

Dutch
Apr-06-2012, 12:29
Heh! Cool, but see edit above re sensitivity! :happy

Herr-B
Apr-06-2012, 18:05
Can I ask what trade you were in? :)

I finished up as a Telecommunications Controller with a sleepy hollow tour of Boscombe, but my heart will always be with TCW (now 90SU). I knew loads of AATCs who went on to become SNCO through a fast track method in just a few years - don't know if they still run that.

As for the tactical side of air traffic - the only true tactical side is TACATC and that's only a handful of people (coincidentally part of TCW for some reason!) and the majority, if not all, were officers. It's also not a job you can just jump into, you need a lot of experience and you need to do the Para course too.

Good luck in whichever route you take.

Mr_Burgundy
Apr-07-2012, 07:33
I finished up as a Telecommunications Controller with a sleepy hollow tour of Boscombe, but my heart will always be with TCW (now 90SU). I knew loads of AATCs who went on to become SNCO through a fast track method in just a few years - don't know if they still run that.

As for the tactical side of air traffic - the only true tactical side is TACATC and that's only a handful of people (coincidentally part of TCW for some reason!) and the majority, if not all, were officers. It's also not a job you can just jump into, you need a lot of experience and you need to do the Para course too.

Good luck in whichever route you take.

That was my plan before the broadsided me with some rediculous apptitude test, I'm currently a senior engineer at one of the biggest ground works company in the UK and currently runing seven different projects. (I don't mean to sound big headed I'm just trying to get across the stupidity of the situation). Now according to my results in their apptitude tests I'm 'Not' able to apply for the role I wanted but also apparently I'm also not able to apply for 'FireFighter' (Not that I want to) despite being a volunteer fire fighter for two years when I was twenty.

The whole process was a joke if I'm honest and I have become abit disillusioned by it, I'm taking the weekend to cool off then think about my options.

TACATC is what I'm going for I'm aware it will take time and its a long shot as it is, but I can be a peresistant bugger! I go skydiving once or twice a month so parachute training will be fun :happy

Dutch
Apr-07-2012, 07:49
I'm taking the weekend to cool off then think about my options.

For what it's worth, I went for an interview for the RAF at 17yrs old.
Because of the process and the attitude of the interviewer, I gave up after 'thinking about my options' and took a civvy career path.

Biggest mistake/regret of my life mate. Don't give up, and don't let the b*stards grind you down. Who knows, maybe they want people who exibit strength of character and determination on more than a few occasions!

Good luck anyway. :happy

Herr-B
Apr-07-2012, 12:00
I did an AFF course just beforeI left, can't afford to jump in civvy street though.

Keep trying for what you want. I think for a RAF firefighter the requirements are that you must play volleyball daily and havea perma-tan.

Mr_Burgundy
Apr-08-2012, 06:50
For what it's worth, I went for an interview for the RAF at 17yrs old.
Because of the process and the attitude of the interviewer, I gave up after 'thinking about my options' and took a civvy career path.

Biggest mistake/regret of my life mate. Don't give up, and don't let the b*stards grind you down. Who knows, maybe they want people who exibit strength of character and determination on more than a few occasions!

Good luck anyway. :happy

Cheers for the pep talk :D

After thinking about it I've decided to have another crack at the test in six months, I figure my mark is definatly going to improve so more doors should be open to me.

It also means I get to fly on here for another six months! :D

Tally bally ho!

EDIT: Also I've down loaded FreeTrack and Track No IR and nother wont install properly. I'm beginning to think I'm going to have to fork out for a TrackIR :( Finding it hard to keep track of things with a analog stick on my X52 :(.

ATAG_Knuckles
Apr-08-2012, 09:34
I'd fork out for the TrackIR !

actually I did :pouting:

Mr_Burgundy
Apr-19-2012, 05:25
Hey guys! Struggling to get online at the moment due to working all over the place and can't set my flight stick up in a travelodge properly. That and the Internet is shocking! Hope to get only soon tho!

ATAG_Bliss
Apr-19-2012, 21:00
Hi Burgandy - I know the feeling m8!

At least you don't have a new patch to look for! Next week be sure! :hiding: