PDA

View Full Version : A Commentary Video of a sortie on ATAG

CanvasKnight
Apr-07-2012, 00:08
Hey guys! This is a video I made of an interesting sortie that I had on ATAG on April 5, 2012, complete with commentary. Watch in 1080p!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ftDac-8JOw

S! to any involved!

ATAG_Snapper
Apr-07-2012, 00:29
Good stuff; excellent commentary. :thumbsup:

Doc
Apr-07-2012, 03:15
Very good!! :thumbsup:

ATAG_Septic
Apr-07-2012, 03:30
Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed and learned from your commentary.

Septic.

CanvasKnight
Apr-07-2012, 12:07
Thanks guys. I'm glad you liked it, I was not sure if a commentary was going to work.

ATAG_Septic
Apr-07-2012, 12:11
Thanks guys. I'm glad you liked it, I was not sure if a commentary was going to work.

The commentary is very useful, I was hoping Requiem, who has made many great ROF videos, would get Cliffs so I could learn but maybe you will make more? :)

Cheers.

Doc
Apr-07-2012, 14:01
I love it! We should wing up with you for part 2. And I can record from my pov send it over to you for your use.

CanvasKnight
Apr-07-2012, 17:43
Haha, that would be awesome. Sounds like a great idea. I won't have as many opportunities to fly this month, but after that I'll have tons of time to fly and hopefully make some good videos. I'll be sure to drop in teamspeak to get to know you guys and maybe we can plan a cooperative video or something. Should be a lot of fun.

9./JG52 Lopp
Apr-08-2012, 01:25
Great video. Thanks for sharing.

ATAG_Knuckles
Apr-08-2012, 09:59
Very well done; You may just have a knack for the commentary end. I would diffidently like to see more Good job

especially the part on HOW to shoot down a 109 !!

Dutch
Apr-08-2012, 10:03
As a Red only chappie, that's as useful for the 'Idiotenrahe' (Sp?) as it is for the Katchmareks/Budding Experten.

Good Job! :)

[FFCW]Urizen
Apr-08-2012, 10:22
http://www.hornoxe.com/wp-content/picdumps/picdump253/thumbs/thumbs_hornoxe.com_picdump253_049.jpg

@Dutch: U probably meant the "Idiotenreihe", so idk what thatґs supposed to mean :bgsmile:

Dutch
Apr-08-2012, 11:13
Thx Uri! :Grin:

Apparently that's what the Luftwaffe Jagdflieger called the RAF Squadrons in close vic formation, the 'row of idiots'!

So I've read anyway.......:happy

[FFCW]Urizen
Apr-08-2012, 11:18
humour in the sky :bgsmile:

Dutch
Apr-08-2012, 11:25
Indeed! Wonderful for air displays, hopeless for combat. :Grin:

CanvasKnight
Apr-08-2012, 14:16
Believe it or not, the "Idiotenreihen" was usually even worse than that! When RAF squadrons formed up to attack bomber formations, they usually formed up their Vics one directly behind the other, so that when you looked at it from above, it was like three long columns of fighters flying in line astern (and four rows line abreast). That's where the rows of idiots term comes from. There's a nice wartime photograph of 12 Spitfires in this exact formation on page 57 of Tony Holmes' "Spitfire vs 109" book.

The Vic itself isn't a bad formation if you are well trained to use it, and it was the standard formation for all air forces until the Germans modified it into the Finger Four. The main weakness of the Vic is formation mobility. But it you are good at it, you can at least cover each other (if you don't tighten up the formation, but keep it loose so that everyone isn't always having to stare at the flight leader to avoid collision). In a properly maintained Vic, nobody can bounce the flight leader without one of the two wingmen noticing first, and if the formation is loose enough, the two wingmen can cover each others six, since they are flying line abreast to each other - they can see behind each others airplanes for a long distance. The two wingmen are depending on each other for their lives - if one guy slips up and isn't paying attention at that one bad time, the other guy will die because of him. If you can't trust the other wingman to watch your six, then a Vic is not the formation for you.

Bit of trivia - even though most countries had adopted the Finger Four by mid-war, the Japanese stubbornly kept the Vic as their main formation until the bitter end.

ChiefRedCloud
Apr-08-2012, 18:10
Let me add my thumbs up :thumbsup: To this fine video ...... More would be appreciated .....

CanvasKnight
Apr-10-2012, 15:29
A second video, but will probably be the last one for a little while - this month is turning out to be really busy for me IRL so I won't have much time to fly. I'll squeeze some sorties in when I can though.

The second commentary is of another evening sortie that took place here on April 9, 2012.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dE_YlSOAxI

P.S. Does anybody know of a way to fix the brightness on these videos? When they get rendered into the mpeg4 format for upload into youtube they always turn out darker than the original footage. I had my cockpit lights turned on in this one, and you can barely notice that there is lighting at all. I hesitate to use youtube's "lighting fix" thing that they offer since I can't vouch for its quality.

ChiefRedCloud
Apr-10-2012, 19:38
Very nice ..... :hpyclp:

Atreides
Apr-10-2012, 19:51
Nice commentaries :clap:

Doc
Apr-10-2012, 23:03
Hi what do you record with?

CanvasKnight
Apr-10-2012, 23:30
I use Fraps. I edit with Vegas 11.

Doc
Apr-11-2012, 00:00
Same here but Vegas 10. Try this.
With media on your timeline.
Tools->Medix FX->Sony Brightness and Contrast
Think to brighten the who thing try Video Track FX.

CanvasKnight
Apr-11-2012, 00:04
Thanks for the tip, I'll try it out next time the flight is in low light morning/evening conditions and hopefully I can get things a bit brighter and easier to see.

Herr-B
Apr-13-2012, 11:31
Great vids and commentary. Thank you! :thumbsup:

Old_Canuck
Apr-15-2012, 22:40
:hpyclp: enjoyed that - clap clap - well done. :thumbsup:

Wulf
Apr-21-2013, 22:12
Believe it or not, the "Idiotenreihen" was usually even worse than that! When RAF squadrons formed up to attack bomber formations, they usually formed up their Vics one directly behind the other, so that when you looked at it from above, it was like three long columns of fighters flying in line astern (and four rows line abreast). That's where the rows of idiots term comes from. There's a nice wartime photograph of 12 Spitfires in this exact formation on page 57 of Tony Holmes' "Spitfire vs 109" book.

The Vic itself isn't a bad formation if you are well trained to use it, and it was the standard formation for all air forces until the Germans modified it into the Finger Four. The main weakness of the Vic is formation mobility. But it you are good at it, you can at least cover each other (if you don't tighten up the formation, but keep it loose so that everyone isn't always having to stare at the flight leader to avoid collision). In a properly maintained Vic, nobody can bounce the flight leader without one of the two wingmen noticing first, and if the formation is loose enough, the two wingmen can cover each others six, since they are flying line abreast to each other - they can see behind each others airplanes for a long distance. The two wingmen are depending on each other for their lives - if one guy slips up and isn't paying attention at that one bad time, the other guy will die because of him. If you can't trust the other wingman to watch your six, then a Vic is not the formation for you.

Bit of trivia - even though most countries had adopted the Finger Four by mid-war, the Japanese stubbornly kept the Vic as their main formation until the bitter end.

I enjoyed the video and commentary very much however I'm not sure I would entirely agree regarding the value of the Vic as a combat formation (and yes I realize this was posted about a year ago) . As I see it there are essentially two problems with the Vic, the first being a fundamental flaw, while the second concerns an issue more closely associated with the RAF itself, and the way it developed during the interwar period. As the Germans found out while fighting I-16s flown by Soviet 'volunteers' during the Spanish Civil War, the smallest effective unit of air combat consists of two aircraft, a leader and a wingman. When a formation of aircraft based on this two aircraft system is engaged in combat, the leader and wingman can cover each other if attacked or while executing an attack. With the Vic, there is always the potential for one member of the formation to be left alone and vulnerable. That is the first problem. The second and perhaps more serious (though correctable) flaw concerned the way the Vic was employed by the RAF. The RAF, as it evolved during the interwar period, was a very formal (snobbish) overly rigid, hierarchical organisation that placed great emphasis of discipline. In the RAF one did not so much fly in Vics as 'tight' Vics. Air discipline was everything and the relative tightness of a Vic demonstrated just how good or bad that disciple really was. While a good tight Vic may have looked impressive in some fly-past or other, as it turned out, it was hardly much good in air combat. As reality started to strike home in 1939-40, it eventually became apparent, even to the staunchest advocates of disciplined flying, that one simply couldn't maintain a tight rigid formation in the air and watch out for enemy aircraft at the same time. The Germans of course, having already worked this out through a process of trial and error in Spain, had already adopted the 'finger four formation', a loose grouping of four aircraft consisting of two pairs.

CanvasKnight
Nov-04-2013, 02:37
It's been a really long time since I've been active flying in Cliffs of Dover, but upon hearing about the Team Fusion mods and 4.0 I decided I'd install and give it a go. And man, do I regret not having done so sooner! No other game genre gives me the same thrills as combat flight sims.

Even though I flew the Bf-109 and Bf-110 almost exclusively before, I figured that now would be the perfect time to learn a completely new aircraft, and I chose the Hawker Hurricane. I've loved every minute of it, from the couple of days of practice that I put into learning to fly it, and then the few days of multiplayer action that I've been having on ATAG with it. I'm hooked! I managed to record enough footage from the past couple of days that I will be able to make a few more youtube videos and commentaries. I won't necessarily post every single one here, but this one should serve as a decent milestone vid, since it contains my very first online victory in a Hurricane, and also my first victory for the RAF. Hopefully some of you will find it enjoyable!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_KmSV20iKA

DUI
Nov-04-2013, 04:47
That was a nice video with some great commentary! Nice to have you back and looking very much forward to seeing more videos of this kind! :signs5:

Royraiden
Nov-04-2013, 09:07
I enjoyed that very much.Its nice that you went with the Hurri for a change, that means you are brave:-P

Headshot
Nov-05-2013, 09:29
Nice landing,lol and you will never do that again uh, good luck with that. My greatest recurring mistake when I fly red is remembering to open the dam radiator. Sit there warm her up set guns, prop-pitch, taxi, take off,retract landing gear,level out and trim. Then bang goes my engine. Now I open radiator as part of my preflight start up.
Oh and nice videos with great cometary. You have a very good way of explaining the things that more advanced pilots take for granted. You Sir are a natural instructor. :salute:

Roblex
Nov-05-2013, 14:47
I have said this before but I will say it again; we have a wealth of videos explaining how to kill red fighters with a 109 but very few explaining how to do the reverse. There are several nice videos showing reds winning dogfights but no commentaries. Is that because there is no 'Step1, Step2..' method for the reds? There still must be things that can be demonstrated in videos. Canvas Knight may have talked through his video but he did not really illustrate any firm tactics other than 'Hope the 109 makes a mistake.' Perhaps that is all us Reds have? :D

Royraiden
Nov-05-2013, 16:58
I have said this before but I will say it again; we have a wealth of videos explaining how to kill red fighters with a 109 but very few explaining how to do the reverse. There are several nice videos showing reds winning dogfights but no commentaries. Is that because there is no 'Step1, Step2..' method for the reds? There still must be things that can be demonstrated in videos. Canvas Knight may have talked through his video but he did not really illustrate any firm tactics other than 'Hope the 109 makes a mistake.' Perhaps that is all us Reds have? :D

Im no qualified red pilot by any means but I just recently started flying both the Hurri and the Spit after 6-7 months of flying the 109 almost exclusively and Im loving them. I plan to start making some video tutorials and or live commentary of both sides if I have enough time in the coming weeks.My videos might not end up as good as KanvasKnight's , but I will give it a try:thumbsup: