PDA

View Full Version : New Pilot looking to be taught

Cryptiks
Nov-18-2014, 16:50
Hello everyone,

I was hoping to request some help from some of the veteran players out there. I have very minimal realistic flying simulation game experience with most of my flying having been done in arcade dish games; mostly War Thunder. I have installed COD with all the TF patches and played a few hours and setup the controls that were recommended in the New player guide. I'm flying with a Thrustmaster HOTAS X and a ps3 camera with FacetrackNoIR. I consider myself a massive newbie... I still have not been able to take off with a spitfire in over 7 attempts (I always end up spinning out to the left even thought I use my right rudder...). Anyways, my Timezone is GMT+1 and I'm available to play most days of the week, if anyone would be kind enough to teach me some of the basics I'd be very grateful.
Thank you!

DRock
Nov-18-2014, 17:28
Hello everyone,

I was hoping to request some help from some of the veteran players out there. I have very minimal realistic flying simulation game experience with most of my flying having been done in arcade dish games; mostly War Thunder. I have installed COD with all the TF patches and played a few hours and setup the controls that were recommended in the New player guide. I'm flying with a Thrustmaster HOTAS X and a ps3 camera with FacetrackNoIR. I consider myself a massive newbie... I still have not been able to take off with a spitfire in over 7 attempts (I always end up spinning out to the left even thought I use my right rudder...). Anyways, my Timezone is GMT+1 and I'm available to play most days of the week, if anyone would be kind enough to teach me some of the basics I'd be very grateful.
Thank you!

I should be on tonight and tomorrow night if you are on. If you see me on TS, say hi.

Just a tip, use Tab-7-3 to find out take off conditions from ground control. Then, taxi slowly to to active runway, which is pointed directly into the wind. Proper runway will be marked with yellow painted signs up the right side of the runway.

Your spinning out may be cause by the wind. Once you get the hang of taking off, you will be able to take off with any wind direction.

~S~

Cryptiks
Nov-18-2014, 17:38
I should be on tonight and tomorrow night if you are on. If you see me on TS, say hi.

Just a tip, use Tab-7-3 to find out take off conditions from ground control. Then, taxi slowly to to active runway, which is pointed directly into the wind. Proper runway will be marked with yellow painted signs up the right side of the runway.

Your spinning out may be cause by the wind. Once you get the hang of taking off, you will be able to take off with any wind direction.

~S~

I'll be on too so hopefully I'll catch you :)

ATAG_Snapper
Nov-18-2014, 17:39

~S~

Great advice. :thumbsup:

After literally hundreds of take offs in Spits with this patch I still occasionally find myself opening the throttle too quickly. The engine's torque overpowers the rudder authority at low speed, so I find myself doing the inevitable left curve despite full right rudder and full right trim. The only cure (before damaging your aircraft in a ground loop) is to kill throttle completely and let the Spit slow down, then point yourself back into the wind and open the throttle s-s-s-s-s-slowly to about 60%. Once you're going above 60 mph you can continue opening the throttle smoothly to 100% and rotate at 100 mph to lift off. :salute:

Cryptiks
Nov-18-2014, 17:42

~S~

I'll be on too so hopefully I'll catch you! I actually just managed my first take off a few minutes ago! I flew all over the place but finally got some air :)

EDIT: Sorry for double post internet messed up...

Cryptiks
Nov-18-2014, 17:43
Great advice. :thumbsup:

After literally hundreds of take offs in Spits with this patch I still occasionally find myself opening the throttle too quickly. The engine's torque overpowers the rudder authority at low speed, so I find myself doing the inevitable left curve despite full right rudder and full right trim. The only cure (before damaging your aircraft in a ground loop) is to kill throttle completely and let the Spit slow down, then point yourself back into the wind and open the throttle s-s-s-s-s-slowly to about 60%. Once you're going above 60 mph you can continue opening the throttle smoothly to 100% and rotate at 100 mph to lift off. :salute:

Sounds good I'll try that too then!

ATAG_Lolsav
Nov-18-2014, 17:45
I'll be on too so hopefully I'll catch you! I actually just managed my first take off a few minutes ago! I flew all over the place but finally got some air :)

Did you got your hands sweaty and your heart pumping a bit more? :)

Wait until you get someone on your crosshairs! :thumbsup:

Cryptiks
Nov-18-2014, 17:53
Did you got your hands sweaty and your heart pumping a bit more? :)

Wait until you get someone on your crosshairs! :thumbsup:

Haha yeah not going to lie first takeoff was very exciting! However using the wind, trim and the proper runways doesn't give me the same rodeo feeling :( Looking forward to some action! Any advice on settings for gunsight settings?

DRock
Nov-18-2014, 21:11
Haha yeah not going to lie first takeoff was very exciting! However using the wind, trim and the proper runways doesn't give me the same rodeo feeling :( Looking forward to some action! Any advice on settings for gunsight settings?

If you mean convergence, I've seen somewhere that the average RAF pilot used anywhere from 200-250 yards.

I prefer 170 horizontal, 250 vertical. This is really a personal preference. You will find your sweet spot in time.

~S~

Cryptiks
Nov-19-2014, 06:27
If you mean convergence, I've seen somewhere that the average RAF pilot used anywhere from 200-250 yards.

I prefer 170 horizontal, 250 vertical. This is really a personal preference. You will find your sweet spot in time.

~S~

Thanks! I guess the default is way off the actual historical settings.. I'll steal your settings for now!

3./JG51_Heiden
Nov-19-2014, 10:20
If you are interested in flying 109s, contact me via PM and we can set up some times. Our time zones and my work schedule would probably work well.

Osprey
Nov-20-2014, 06:40
Thanks! I guess the default is way off the actual historical settings.. I'll steal your settings for now!

Remember that the settings in game are in metres but the RAF gunsight is in yards so you have to convert, hence the default of 338 as 400 yards. Set in game to 228 metres for 250 yards, 136 for 150 yards.

I would also advise that you start with the Hurricane, it's easier for the beginner. Definitely use Teamspeak too.

Enjoy yourself :) and if you want to explore the history route, ie group flying and big formations BOB style then check my sig.

~S~

9./JG52 Ziegler
Nov-20-2014, 08:10
Looking to get schooled is the proper verbage :)

Cryptiks
Nov-20-2014, 19:20
Remember that the settings in game are in metres but the RAF gunsight is in yards so you have to convert, hence the default of 338 as 400 yards. Set in game to 228 metres for 250 yards, 136 for 150 yards.

I would also advise that you start with the Hurricane, it's easier for the beginner. Definitely use Teamspeak too.

Enjoy yourself :) and if you want to explore the history route, ie group flying and big formations BOB style then check my sig.

~S~

Thanks, I'll go back and start messing around with the Hurricane! Also I'd love to group fly but for the moment I feel like I might just be more of a hassle to have to carry around and probably just a sitting duck...

Cryptiks
Nov-20-2014, 19:21
Looking to get schooled is the proper verbage :)

I suppose it was bound to occur that someone would correct something I wrote :(

Cryptiks
Nov-20-2014, 19:24
Also another two questions for y'all; firstly how do I "enable digital readings" for things like to see what boost I'm currently at? I was reading around and didn't figure out how I could enable such an option. Secondly, when looking at the manuals I saw mention of changing the pitch on the aircraft, should I add a key to swap the pitch or leave it automated?

PanTast
Nov-20-2014, 19:50
click the left ALT key and click with the mouse in the region of the engine sliders. It will light up a little. Right click into that window and choose customize motor controls.

In the left column you see Window. In the middle should be two entrys. Click Engine info one and choose in the left column digital layout. :)

3./JG51_Heiden
Nov-21-2014, 03:36
Also another two questions for y'all; firstly how do I "enable digital readings" for things like to see what boost I'm currently at? I was reading around and didn't figure out how I could enable such an option. Secondly, when looking at the manuals I saw mention of changing the pitch on the aircraft, should I add a key to swap the pitch or leave it automated?

Here's a video I made on precisely how to do it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flpz90gmHGo

Cryptiks
Nov-21-2014, 05:32
This is awesome guys! Really helps out tons :)

Osprey
Nov-21-2014, 05:56
Thanks, I'll go back and start messing around with the Hurricane! Also I'd love to group fly but for the moment I feel like I might just be more of a hassle to have to carry around and probably just a sitting duck...

Not at all. We honestly do not care about standards actually and are happy to train to get you up to speed. In actual fact we like to have inexperienced pilots in with us because it actually give what we do a realistic feel, because in the BOB there were many pilots on both sides who were inexperienced. Of course, this is not meant to be a job, I can promise fun too ;)

Also it is what we consider part of our contribution to COD, that we can help out new pilots which helps keep their interest alive and in the sim. This is a difficult genre, it's not pleasant trying to learn how to fly and then just finding yourself butchered all of the time - that's a sure fire way to quit and it does happen. Group flying tends to stop that from happening.

~S~

Osprey
Nov-21-2014, 06:17

Personally I don't use digital readings, I simply look at my boost and RPM dials, and airspeed. This is the best way, and more realistic. Prop pitch is only automatic on the Bf109E-4 (in light fighters), a different system is used for the RAF types. In the BOB the prop pitch was varied by a governor automatically against airspeed to keep it to the RPM set by the pilot.

Cryptiks
Nov-21-2014, 08:30
Not at all. We honestly do not care about standards actually and are happy to train to get you up to speed. In actual fact we like to have inexperienced pilots in with us because it actually give what we do a realistic feel, because in the BOB there were many pilots on both sides who were inexperienced. Of course, this is not meant to be a job, I can promise fun too ;)

Also it is what we consider part of our contribution to COD, that we can help out new pilots which helps keep their interest alive and in the sim. This is a difficult genre, it's not pleasant trying to learn how to fly and then just finding yourself butchered all of the time - that's a sure fire way to quit and it does happen. Group flying tends to stop that from happening.

~S~

Alright then I'll make sure to get in touch with you guys and hopefully we can start flying together soon :)

Personally I don't use digital readings, I simply look at my boost and RPM dials, and airspeed. This is the best way, and more realistic. Prop pitch is only automatic on the Bf109E-4 (in light fighters), a different system is used for the RAF types. In the BOB the prop pitch was varied by a governor automatically against airspeed to keep it to the RPM set by the pilot.

Alright and regarding fine and course pitch? I was reading in the manual that fine and course are both viable is that correct?
Once again thanks for all the info and help! Much appreciated!

Osprey
Nov-21-2014, 09:02
Strictly speaking, on the CPS (constant speed prop) models the pitch will vary according to your airspeed, so the pitch level actually sets your RPM and the governor then adjusts the pitch constantly. On older De Havilland (DH-20) models there is a strict choice between coarse and fine pitch, but nobody flies these, they are pre Fall of France.

So, just set RPM according to what you are doing, 3000 for takeoff and landing, 2100 level flight cruise, 2700 climb and combat will serve you well.