PDA

View Full Version : Getting started: 3D modeling with Blender

♣_Spiritus_♣
Nov-18-2014, 17:29
I have got more than a couple PM's as of late so I figured I would post some tips and hints about starting 3D modeling with Blender. I use "cycles render" instead of the default "blender render" engine. I find it easier to work with nodes to apply textures and materials to the 3D model. More on nodes later.

1) DL Blender here: http://www.blender.org/

2) Bookmark these to get started:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tG2wSNCBmE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2-FfB9kRmE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5KcOwCL6RA

With that said, I didn't limit myself just to these. This should get you started. There are a lot of amazing tutorials out there, just google or youtube search "How to ___________ in blender" and you will be surprised. That's how I learned a lot. I would get something done then realize I need this for this model, back to google/youtube, so on.

3) Poly counts:

Keep them as low as possible and use circles and cylinders only when needed. These add tons of polys. Know that you can adjust how many sides they have when you bring in (Shift+A) a new object in blender. Before reshaping/resizing or anything, have all your toolbars up (T and N) and look on the left one, you will see number of sides is 32. The less you have the better poly count but also the less smooth it will be. Find a good trade off.

Delete all unseen polys. For example, you have a big house and a small house connected on one side. You should delete both the bottom faces since the ground is there and will be unseen. You should also delete the smaller houses side that connects to the larger one since it is also unseen.

REMEMBER! You don't have to model everything/every detail. A lot of that can be added in with the texture and proper drop shadows. For instance, a plumbing exhaust line running on the outside of the building. Instead of a cylinder and another 50-100 polys, add this detail in the texture work in photoshop with a drop shadow and bevel/texture options. Then you will see it and it will look 3D from the texture.

4) How to pick a model to work on:

Start simple of course but if you are like me, I lost interest quickly in square houses. Get into CloDs FMB and browse the object list. Think of it from a mission builders PoV. What do you wish you could add and see in CloD? Pillboxes? Train signals signs? Keep it simple but keep it interesting and related to CloD if you can. After that google for photos to use as references. Try to get a scale to look at, proper scale is hard and your eye is easily tricked in 3D programs. Blueprints are key in more complex objects. You can import photos (blueprints) into blender and build on top of them, see here for a good way in doing this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mu9J0D6ebVw (please don't start with a 747)

5) Learn UVmapping/unwrapping:

This is key for texture work. It is hard and better learned through doing. With time and experience you will start to see better progress. I still am honing my skill in this, it is difficult!

7) ALPHA!:

If you saw my control tower from when I was learning, you will notice that the railing was done in Blender, while this is cool and looks good, it is no good for CloD because of poly count. Things like this must be made in Photoshop (or equivalent) by alpha. What do I mean by alpha? Just follow this:

Make your object, in this case a railing, in photoshop by whatever means you use. So in the end we see this:

Then you make an alpha of this, meaning you use your magic wand in PS and select all of the background, then go to select, inverse selection so now the railing is all highlighted. Then you get your brush out and paint over all the texture to make it all white. Then go back up to select, inverse selection again so now the background is selected, and paint all that black. You are left with this: By using the magic wand process you can quickly do this rather than carefully trying to paint. Make your brush 300 size and done.

Then you save that alpha separately! So you should have something like railing.jpg and railingA.jpg

Then we get to the point of using these in Blender, here is a quick and dirty example. The links above have some good info and a step by step video so I suggest using them and just reading this to get a taste.

Again, this way will only work in "Cycles Render" engine.

These are the steps: (In Blender)

File-import-images as planes (IF THIS ISNT AN OPTION YOU NEED TO DO THIS: File, Userpref, click on addons tab, then look for import/export-images as planes. Its about half way down. Click the box to make this active. Then save. I suggest reading into these, there are other things worth clicking on that are above and beyond this post)

Next, find where your railings.jpg was saved and select it, the one with texture and hit return. Now you see this:

No image! Now you'll need to do is this:

Then select "material" and it will render the image with the material/texture on the plane.

Now adjust your plane to however it should be by means of XYZ axis. Now the hard part!

Go into UV editing:

Then go into the node editor by clicking on that little colored photo in the bottom left:

Now you see this:

Click on the image texture box, the one furthest on the left and duplicate it (shift+D), moving it just above the other one. Like this:

Now on the new node you just added, click on the folder icon and search for the ALPHA image of your railing, so in my case railingA.jpg and click enter.

Next, we have to add a couple more nodes and link them properly for the Alpha to work its magic. Go to the ADD on the bottom, go to shader, then at the top you'll see "mix shader", select it. Then link it up to the other nodes like this photo:

Now, go back to ADD, and to shader, and select the transparent BSDF. Then place that node here:

Now we need to attach this this way:

Still not good! Now do this last connection (see image below) and voila!

This is how you do alpha work in cycles render in blender. The possibilities are endless with alpha and saves countless polys. Instead of a railing built in blender with cylinders that have 20,000 polys, we use the above technique and we get that number down to about 20.

That is all for now, keep your PM's coming if you have questions, I will help out where and when I can.

:salute:

RAF74_Buzzsaw
Nov-18-2014, 17:53
Thanks very much for your work on this Spiritus. :thumbsup:

PFT_Endy
Nov-19-2014, 02:18
Thank you Spiritus, that was most helpful, PM incoming :)

ATAG_Ribbs
Nov-28-2014, 12:24
Thanks Spiritus!.. always wondered how this was achieved. S!

Ribbs

Stefan
Dec-08-2014, 13:17
sorry, but a beginner cannot deal alone with these few basic tips. for him, it's too much advanced and for one, who knows the basics, it's too few infos, how to get a model into CloD. i really don't know, what the point of this "tutorial" is lol

Continu0
Dec-08-2014, 13:56
sorry, but a beginner cannot deal alone with these few basic tips. for him, it's too much advanced and for one, who knows the basics, it's too few infos, how to get a model into CloD. i really don't know, what the point of this "tutorial" is lol

Read the interview with Spiritus Mortem here and you will get the point: :salute:

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13942

♣_Spiritus_♣
Dec-08-2014, 14:55

Its not a tutorial. Its an outline of steps that you need to know in no particular order to start to make sense of Blender and what is required to model for CloD. So it is an outline for beginners.

See step 2 for entry level tutorials on how to learn how to do basic things. The steps I listed aren't "do this in this order," they are steps of things you need to know eventually if you want to start making models for video games.

The point of this "outline" was to get a list of things that one would need to know who has no experience. Now they should know that if you want to be able to model things for video games these are things they must know how to do.

Stefan
Dec-08-2014, 14:57
bist du sicher, daß du den richtigen Beitrag verlinkt hast? weil ein "interview" zur Ergänzung dieses eher dürftig gestalteten tutorials, kann ich da nicht drin entdecken. bin aber nach wie vor interessiert! :)

♣_Spiritus_♣
Dec-08-2014, 15:01
<snip> "are you sure that you have linked the right post? because an "interview" to supplement the rather meager designed tutorials , I can not see in there . but I am still interested in!"

That link he gave you was just to show you that I learned what you need to know in a couple days. Again, this post is not a tutorial, its an outline, step 2 has links to tutorials or a basic google/youtube search of "How to do _____ in Blender" will suffice.

Stefan
Dec-08-2014, 15:02
@Spiritus Mortem

yes, it's a collection of various steps which are needed. was also my own impression. beginners will not happy with it anyway. so it is a "tut" for advanced 3D artists, or?

hope i will get it today :)

Stefan
Dec-08-2014, 15:18
i have 8 years experience with blender (still sticking on the older 1.49b version), so i don't need a lesson in modeling in general btw. did you wrote a tutorial how to implement own stuff to clod?

♣_Spiritus_♣
Dec-08-2014, 16:48
I see, no its just a basic thing for new people to look through when learning the various things that are needed in 3D modeling.

No tutorial on importing into CloD, thats above my pay grade for good reason.

Marmus
Dec-08-2014, 17:50
This post is just to get back on track. I had no experience with Blender prior to seeing the video tutorials that Spiritus posted.

Here are some images of a wooden ship hull I have been modeling overt he past 2 weeks. The HMS Druid, built 1775.

No, it is not a TF project, but it is allowing me to work out many of the mechanics of basic model making using Blender.

Linework with the "Line" drawing in background:
http://i989.photobucket.com/albums/af12/marmusman/HMSDruid112-06_zps26573a0b.jpg

Hull with Full Sail image as background:
http://i989.photobucket.com/albums/af12/marmusman/HMSDruid112-07_zps327162f3.jpg

Ortho of Front:
http://i989.photobucket.com/albums/af12/marmusman/HMSDruid312-07_zps3f402024.jpg

Ortho of Rear:
http://i989.photobucket.com/albums/af12/marmusman/HMSDruid212-07_zps591087b8.jpg

Wolf
Dec-08-2014, 18:50

Get people up to speed with producing a model good enough to import and then I shall do final touches to ready it for CLOD and then import it and provide it a s a MOD for testing. Then you can take the final product and build and learn from that.

Stefan
Dec-09-2014, 10:39
really good work for a new/b :thumbsup:

always take care, that there are less as possible bumps and wrinkles on the surface. you will see it later on the Render or in-game,mainly caused by light- and shadow incidence. you can simply solve it by adding a few more "loops", close together near by very sloped areas, or just by the separation of seams.

red line = separate. the green lines = new loops/ seams

http://i.imgur.com/Vr726gf.jpg

buster_dee
Feb-23-2015, 06:55
Wolf, how do you handle pivots and smoothing groups? Are they created/preserved from Blender, or do you just have to hash it out with the author? I'm too thick for Max, and my 3D Canvas/UU3D are dead ends.

Stefan
Feb-23-2015, 09:45
Wolf, how do you handle pivots and smoothing groups? Are they created/preserved from Blender, or do you just have to hash it out with the author? I'm too thick for Max, and my 3D Canvas/UU3D are dead ends.

what Blender Version you use? in the older 2.49b version under "Editing" (F9)/ "Set Smoth". smoothing groups are not available. i don't how it's done in blender 2.72 or higher, because i don't uses it. i hope this article will help you https://blender.stackexchange.com/questions/734/how-to-smooth-shade-an-object-while-retaining-hard-edges

♣_Spiritus_♣
Feb-23-2015, 16:00
That article explains it well, set the edge in auto smooth to around 45 and you'll get get results. Also you can manually set edges by selecting the edges you want, cntrl E, then "mark sharp."

buster_dee
Feb-24-2015, 07:03
I was unclear. I don't have Blender. I don't use Max much either (it's like asking a room of cockroaches to point North). For IL2 46, I exported a 3DS file from my UU3D mapper (I model in 3D Canvas, but I use a separate UV mapping tool, both of which can export a 3DS). The IL2 46 game import tools (as far as I know) only accept Max files. Since Max does not recognize pivots and smoothing from my program, someone had to rebuild all that for me. Do the Cliffs tools work directly with Blender, including accepting it's pivots and smoothing groups? Or, do exports from Blender to Max preserve the pivots and smoothing created in Blender? If so, I need to start using Blender and kick my apps to the curb.

If I'm getting this thread off track, please point me elsewhere. Gotta run. Work still thinks it owns me.

♣_Spiritus_♣
Feb-24-2015, 10:36
No worries, I think someone will be by shortly and answer your question. I probably know the answer to your question but don't want to provide wrong info.

VO101_Tom
Feb-24-2015, 12:02
I was unclear. I don't have Blender. I don't use Max much either (it's like asking a room of cockroaches to point North). For IL2 46, I exported a 3DS file from my UU3D mapper (I model in 3D Canvas, but I use a separate UV mapping tool, both of which can export a 3DS). The IL2 46 game import tools (as far as I know) only accept Max files. Since Max does not recognize pivots and smoothing from my program, someone had to rebuild all that for me. Do the Cliffs tools work directly with Blender, including accepting it's pivots and smoothing groups? Or, do exports from Blender to Max preserve the pivots and smoothing created in Blender? If so, I need to start using Blender and kick my apps to the curb.

If I'm getting this thread off track, please point me elsewhere. Gotta run. Work still thinks it owns me.

Hi.
The Blender is good, the export files is fully compatible with Max.

buster_dee
Feb-24-2015, 16:38
Thanks.

♣_Spiritus_♣
Mar-08-2015, 17:45
If anyone is still learning Blender and getting stuck on the UVunwrap/maps of complex objects, then PM me and I can give you a trick that I just figured out that really should make you happy if you've been having issues with uvunwraps/maps. May be obvious to some but it works like magic.

Stefan
Mar-09-2015, 18:59
If anyone is still learning Blender and getting stuck on the UVunwrap/maps of complex objects, then PM me and I can give you a trick that I just figured out that really should make you happy if you've been having issues with uvunwraps/maps. May be obvious to some but it works like magic.
äthe UV Mapping in the newset version has been improved? the UVM in 2.49b is crappy as hell. i use the ancient 4 version of Unfold3D 4, which is even 100 times better.

ATAG_yotheguy
Jun-28-2015, 17:09
Great thread SM. This helped me out so much and for anyone learning this is a great place to start. Thanks SM!!:salute:

Jhames Jhones
Dec-17-2015, 02:33
Great!Thanks for sharing:thumbsup:

thee_oddball
May-04-2016, 20:25
I know the rule of thumb is to keep the poly count down

thank you Buzzsaw!

The external model maximums are 15000 poly for fighters, and 25000-27000 for bombers.

The cockpit can be more detailed, the original cockpits are around 25000 poly, 40000 polys is ok for more detailed cockpits like bombers.

Tanks are 4-7000 poly, buildings as low as possible, couple of 1000 poly for the more detailed houses.

Ships can be a maximum of 50000-60000 poly, for larger types like Battleships... smaller types less.

I started watching this guy but you mentioned not using cylinders or circles, am I learning bad habits from this video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mu9J0D6ebVw

thnx for any help

FluxCapacitance
Sep-05-2016, 11:28
Hi 69th_Spiritus_Mortem (and all)

Nice. Didn't know you guys were making your own stuff!

I've been using Blender since it fit on a floppy in the late 90's. Also was a Solidworks CAD admin for a few years. If you guys need help let me know.

The ultimate aviation Blender modeler (in my opinion) is Witold Jaworsky. He has an extremely detailed tutorial for beginners and vets for accurately modelling, texturing and rendering aircraft from references. I bought his P-40 books and his mastery of topology is above par. He's started a free tutorial for an SBD Dauntless here (https://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?370606-SBD-Dauntless-(US-Navy-dive-bomber)&highlight=dauntless).

Regards.

♣_Spiritus_♣
Sep-05-2016, 12:57
That is a great tutorial, wish I saw that when I started. You should PM MysticPuma, we are always looking for 3d modelers!

Hyperus
Jul-19-2017, 23:48
Okay, here my first status update on making some better looking buildings than the ones ingame.

goal for me is to make CPU efficient good looking buildings. Therefore i will keep the 3d models mnimalistic and let the textures do the most thing so that it goes on cost of the GPU.

Here is a image of the raw 3d model. I oriented myself on french buildings of the time.
Textures are getting laid out right now.

♣_Spiritus_♣
Jul-20-2017, 00:25
Good luck with the black hole you've just entered. :D

Building textures are generally 512x512, bigger buildings can be 1024x1024 and really large and deatailed buildings can be 2048x2048, but that should be avoided at all cost.

CloD doesn't use PBR as of now, but buildings will have diffuse, normal, specular, and alpha maps. Diffuse and alpha will be in the same dds (diffuse as file, add the alpha into the alpha channel you create via CS). Normal and specular will be in the same dds (normal as file, spec added into the alpha channel you create via CS).

Delete all unseen polys.