PDA

View Full Version : Love at first flight

Old_Canuck
Apr-10-2012, 12:44
:thumbsup: Blenheim: first successful takeoff from Willmington to Eastchurch. Left engine overheated a bit. Engine trouble at halfway point. Long glide to Eastchurch for a dead stick landing with wheels touching just short of thresh-hold. I love this plane :bgsmile::bgsmile: If any of you Blenheim experts are willing to teach an old dog new tricks I'm usually on ATAG weekday mornings PST.

Cheers,

O.C.

Doc
Apr-10-2012, 13:32
:thumbsup: Blenheim: first successful takeoff from Willmington to Eastchurch. Left engine overheated a bit. Engine trouble at halfway point. Long glide to Eastchurch for a dead stick landing with wheels touching just short of thresh-hold. I love this plane :bgsmile::bgsmile: If any of you Blenheim experts are willing to teach an old dog new tricks I'm usually on ATAG weekday mornings PST.

Cheers,

O.C.

That's a beautiful plane to fly. Not sure I will be on much during the day on weekends for I have committed myself to a landscaping project for someone but in the evenings I will be around.

If you don't learn from the experts on red by then a recent graduate of the red bombing institute will have to do. I will see if you are on then and ask if you need any assistance.

:thumbsup:

ATAG_Torian
Apr-10-2012, 19:09
Ahh...another convert. Welcome to Bomber Command where we bring the war to
Adolf's door.
If u see me or Dutch on (there are others too) we will be more than happy to give
u the finer points. The Blen is a sweet plane to fly and the idiosyncracies, as
modelled in CloD, once learned, will make it a fun ride every time.
In the meantime here is a post I made some time back that may help.

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?739-A-great-guide-for-the-Blenheim

Old_Canuck
Apr-10-2012, 19:51
Ahh...another convert. Welcome to Bomber Command where we bring the war to
Adolf's door.
If u see me or Dutch on (there are others too) we will be more than happy to give
u the finer points. The Blen is a sweet plane to fly and the idiosyncracies, as
modelled in CloD, once learned, will make it a fun ride every time.
In the meantime here is a post I made some time back that may help.

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?739-A-great-guide-for-the-Blenheim

Thx Doc and Torian. Good info in that link BTW. Will remember to go full coarse pitch after takeoff next time. The sliders had me fooled into thinking they were set 25 percent down from the top. :doh!: That explains the engingine failure.

ATAG_Torian
Apr-10-2012, 20:45
I have just gone back and edited some of the figures in my post so have reread for the updated info. If u experiment with prop pitch u will find that u will get some changes in rpm. I don't tend to fiddle with it but others use it with caution without too many problems. Cylinder head temps are what u live or die by. Running too cool will also affect performance.

ATAG_Knuckles
Apr-10-2012, 20:59
Canuck

I'm in Arizona (PST) and retired. I'll look you up in the mornings.

Old_Canuck
Apr-10-2012, 21:25
Canuck

I'm in Arizona (PST) and retired. I'll look you up in the mornings.

Ok .. look for a bald guy with a greying beard. Will grab a nap in the turret while I'm waiting for you. :bgsmile:

Dutch
Apr-11-2012, 06:45
Yaheeey!

How did I miss this thread?! :bgsmile:

Welcome to 'The Old Pig'!

The first time Bliss flew one with us he said 'Wow, this is a Cadillac' or words to that effect.

Now let's see, you're 7 hours behind us, so your mornings are pretty much our afternoons, so it should be fine for me (domestic obligations notwithstanding).

It'd be nice to introduce you to the joys of a three or four ship formation to France!

Heh heh!

The Blenny;

P.S. See vids here, if you haven't already;

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?891-Flying-and-skip-bombing-the-Blenheim-on-Cockpit-Instruments-only.

Old_Canuck
Apr-11-2012, 15:39
[QUOTE=ATAG_Dutch;11052]Yaheeey!

How did I miss this thread?! :bgsmile:

Welcome to 'The Old Pig'!

The first time Bliss flew one with us he said 'Wow, this is a Cadillac' or words to that effect.

Now let's see, you're 7 hours behind us, so your mornings are pretty much our afternoons, so it should be fine for me (domestic obligations notwithstanding).

It'd be nice to introduce you to the joys of a three or four ship formation to France!

Heh heh!

The Blenny;

P.S. See vids here, if you haven't already;

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?891-Flying-and-skip-bombing-the-Blenheim-on-Cockpit-Instruments-only.[/QUOTE
===============================
Another good link :hpyclp: Torian's link helped a lot already. Third flight was a lot better. You have to work that crate every minute: cylinder head temps, mixture. Always asking myself ok why is it shaking now? Oh too rich for high altitude .. that's better. Now why is it shaking" ok cylinder head temps dropped too low. First decent landing felt great. What a lovely bitch that plane is:stoner: