PDA

View Full Version : Sloppy Joystick

ATAG_Knuckles
Apr-11-2012, 20:29
Hey gang: just replaced my X52 with a new one. The old one was so sensitive no matter where I put the sliders in "Axis/Controls" one inch of movement would roll the aircraft (thats mainly I purchased a Saitek Yoke for the Blenne)

Now "drum roll please" the new X52 is just the opposite

NOW for my question: I understand what dead zones are, but there are tow of them in the axis control. Would someone explain which one does what ?

ATAG_Septic
Apr-12-2012, 06:15
Hi Knuckles,

My understanding is that the two dead zones affect each extreme of the axis. I'm using a very old x52 at the moment and have found that it works well with no dead zones and better at 0% sensitivity, whereas my Wharthog worked better at 100% sensitivity. There will hopefully be a clever chap along soon to explain all this properly.

As an aside, a more sensitive joystick isn't, in my experience, necessarily better. I also have a comparatively new x52 pro, which is awful in comparison to the cheaper x52, which itself feels like a switch in comparison to incredibly precise Wharthog.

Septic.

jaydee
Apr-12-2012, 07:00
Hey Knuckles,if we use elevator axis as an example: If you leave the top(Linear) slider to the left(I have mine at 50%),that means that when you push past the centre "bump" on the joystick the elevator is going to respond "immediadely" by nosing down the aircraft !..In other words ,every movement of the joystick is translated to input on the elevator directly ! Not much fun coz (1)In real life nobody yanked the stick into their belly and then shoved it forward till it hit the dash (not good aiming)...UNLESS you can do very small inputs with your hand in the heat of battle.(2) most of us never use 100% elevator "suddenly" any way,even in turn fights !....If you set the linear to the right it means the joystick movement is "cushioned"(important around the deadzone for precise control),you wont nose up/nose down QUICKLY ,but to get full elevator(100%) your joystick will be pushed fully forward/back !.......next slider down is deadzone which limits where your joystick responds from push to pull input to the joystick. I have mine set to zero(and atiny deadzone in X52 control panel),to allow for the when the joystick just sits without being touched....next slider down limit how far you you push the joystick to reach 100% movement in elevator...mines at zero ...sorry for wall of words Knuckles ,hope it helps !

ATAG_Knuckles
Apr-12-2012, 09:30
Septic: Jaydee

perfect , I understand exactly, sensitivity and deadzone i understood, it was that second dead zone slider that confused me. Got it dialed in now exactly how I like it

Thanks gang

Knucks
(who will no longer porpoise up and down all the time)