PDA

View Full Version : Messerschmitt Bf.109K-4 released on December 3rd!

Chuck_Owl
Nov-25-2014, 15:38
http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2240721&postcount=4

Dear pilots,

Due to some additional work that needs to be completed before we can release the Bf 109 K-4 open beta, Kurfürst will not be available in November as we had planned and hoped. However, it will just be delayed a few days until December 3rd, 2014.

Also, a new DCS World Newsletter will also be released on December 3rd, 2014.

Sorry for the delay,
The Eagle Dynamics Team

RAF74_Buzzsaw
Nov-25-2014, 16:34
Any delays in DCS releases are usually for good reasons.

I think they can be trusted to provide what they promise. :salute:

ATAG_Colander
Nov-25-2014, 16:51
Two weeks for sure? :)

ATAG_Snapper
Nov-25-2014, 19:38
"Two weeks be sure!" LOL

:)

ATAG_Slipstream
Nov-25-2014, 21:54
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaHuzlPmrko

Two weeks for sure? :)

"Two weeks be sure!" LOL

:)

javelina
Nov-25-2014, 23:31
Any delays in DCS releases are usually for good reasons.

I think they can be trusted to provide what they promise. :salute:

Exactly! I'm really looking forward to this bird!

Bounder!
Dec-02-2014, 14:15
109-K4 has been released today on the open beta
see the >1.2.12 official release notes< thread on ED board (http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2246568#post2246568)

If you download and install the DCS open beta client you can play with the K-4 tonight before it is officially released tomorrow (if you can't wait). The open beta client needs to be installed separately. Link here for DCS open beta installer http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/downloads/world/dcs_world_open_beta/. Once you have installed the open beta client you will need to go to MODULE MANAGER (main menu) and log in. From here you can select aircraft to install. Once installed you will need your activation code for each a/c from the main ED site. For kickstarters this will be under personal section -> backers page.

We have a small multiplayer server up for Kurfürst fun on a secondary home computer whilst we get the main server updated - name of server is "9./JG27 109"

gavagai
Dec-02-2014, 19:20
First DCS warbird I've crashed on multiple takeoff attempts before success. It's a real bitch and yoyo makes it look easy! Great aircraft and needs lots of rudder work to fly.

ATAG_Slipstream
Dec-02-2014, 20:36
Just had a go with this and its gonna please alot of people.

Its similar in taxying characteristics to the 190 with gentle taps of the wheel brakes to achieve the direction required, however on takeoff its a totally different beast. You lock the tailwheel, trim down by 1, apply power to about 2500 rpm and it tracks down the runway quite well with 'gentle' correctional input. I didn't count but it seems that within about 10 seconds the nose is pulling up so you compensate by pushing forward (thus the importance of -1 trim) around the same time there is a strong sense of lift and the plane takes to the sky albeit somewhat unstably, All of this happens very quickly, seemed to be around 15 seconds. You raise the gear, reduce rpm or flick the governor automation on, adjust ATA and trim nose down to gain airspeed. Once airspeed is acquired, it flies like a dream and maneuverability is excellent, as is visibility in and out of the cockpit.

In full landing configuration it is equally stable, although you need some preparation time as the manual flaps deploy slowly. However once configured and on approach it "sits" on the glidepath with only small adjustments to power/trim to steadily bring it in about at 200 kmh, chop the throttle at the threshold, flare and kiss the asphalt!.

Its simply a dream to fly!

:salute:

RAF74_Buzzsaw
Dec-03-2014, 03:38
Just had a go with this and its gonna please alot of people.

Its similar in taxying characteristics to the 190 with gentle taps of the wheel brakes to achieve the direction required, however on takeoff its a totally different beast. You lock the tailwheel, trim down by 1, apply power to about 2500 rpm and it tracks down the runway quite well with 'gentle' correctional input. I didn't count but it seems that within about 10 seconds the nose is pulling up so you compensate by pushing forward (thus the importance of -1 trim) around the same time there is a strong sense of lift and the plane takes to the sky albeit somewhat unstably, All of this happens very quickly, seemed to be around 15 seconds. You raise the gear, reduce rpm or flick the governor automation on, adjust ATA and trim nose down to gain airspeed. Once airspeed is acquired, it flies like a dream and maneuverability is excellent, as is visibility in and out of the cockpit.

In full landing configuration it is equally stable, although you need some preparation time as the manual flaps deploy slowly. However once configured and on approach it "sits" on the glidepath with only small adjustments to power/trim to steadily bring it in about at 200 kmh, chop the throttle at the threshold, flare and kiss the asphalt!.

Its simply a dream to fly!

Interesting comments... for most pilots, including the ones I've talked to... the Kurfurst was the worst handling of all the 109's.

Vlerkies
Dec-03-2014, 05:56
First DCS warbird I've crashed on multiple takeoff attempts before success. It's a real bitch and yoyo makes it look easy! Great aircraft and needs lots of rudder work to fly.

I don't have it as yet (still at work) but if it is anything like the Dora, go into the settings page and untick the take off assistance !! JUst in case, make sure that is not enabled.

In the Dora that somehow defaulted to on, and created more havoc than anything else.

gavagai
Dec-03-2014, 06:35
I don't have it as yet (still at work) but if it is anything like the Dora, go into the settings page and untick the take off assistance !! JUst in case, make sure that is not enabled.

In the Dora that somehow defaulted to on, and created more havoc than anything else.

Oh yes, that is true! Funny, because I was the one telling others to do this for the Dora. I'll double check the 109.

Yes, takeoff assistance was at 100! Doh!

Chuck_Owl
Dec-03-2014, 06:49
Interesting comments... for most pilots, including the ones I've talked to... the Kurfurst was the worst handling of all the 109's.

Really? How come?

It does sound kind of weird, knowing that the Kurfurst was one of the later models.

ATAG_Slipstream
Dec-03-2014, 07:04

Oh don't get me wrong Buzz, I found the plane to be "very" unstable just after takeoff. It feels extremely unpredictable (akin to flying a leaf maybe :thumbsup:) and needs to be handled with care and cleaned up quickly, any excessive movement and you're up the creek without a paddle, but once at 400 -500 kph the characteristics are very good. Also on takeoff run, if you use excessive input, its quite obvious you're on a narrow landing gear. The plane loses control very easily and you realize you're the passenger.

Its definately the hardest WWII plane in any sim to get into the air and I can imagine that even the slightest crosswind is going be extremely challenging.

Chuck_Owl
Dec-03-2014, 08:55
109 Manual for those who like to read.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/eyd5n8dmhv3jejn/DCS%20Bf%20109%20K-4%20Flight%20Manual%20EN.pdf?dl=0

jcomm
Dec-03-2014, 09:06
109 Manual for those who like to read.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/eyd5n8dmhv3jejn/DCS%20Bf%20109%20K-4%20Flight%20Manual%20EN.pdf?dl=0

YADAMAN!!!!!!!

Thx Chuck!

VO101_Tom
Dec-03-2014, 11:12
Guys.
I will buy it tomorrow, but I would like to make the hungarian cocpit labels by then, would someone be so kind and send me the cockpit texture files?

The Fw 190 files is here, I bet the 109 have is the same file-structure:
...\DCS World\Mods\aircraft\FW-190D9\Cockpit\Resources\Model\Textures\FW-190D9-CPT-TEXTURES.zip

9./JG52 Ziegler
Dec-03-2014, 12:21
Hmm still can't seem to download it even though the forum says it is now available?

Chuck_Owl
Dec-03-2014, 15:46
Gentlemen, start your engines! Patch 1.2.12 is now available for download for non-beta version. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1-6qSGAIyk

RAF74_Buzzsaw
Dec-03-2014, 16:05
Really? How come?

It does sound kind of weird, knowing that the Kurfurst was one of the later models.

Weight.

The K model was much heavier than the earlier types... the F model was considered to be the best handling of all the 109 types by the pilots who flew it.

The combination of a very powerful engine, with the torque effects during takeoff and landing, plus the overall handling of the 109 at higher speeds was considered inferior to the 190 series.

The 109 overall was considered obsolete in 1945 by the Luftwaffe. Adolf Galland recommended production of it be eliminated as soon as possible in favour of the 190D9/TA152 series.

After the war, the USAAF and RAF didn't bother evaluating the late 109's, they were much more interested in the 190D's and TA-152's as well as the German jets.

So when I read that the 109K4 in DCS seems to be a better aircraft than the 190D9, alarm bells go off.

Every aero historian I have read rated the 190D9 as the best German prop type to see large scale production.

gavagai
Dec-03-2014, 18:01
So when I read that the 109K4 in DCS seems to be a better aircraft than the 190D9, alarm bells go off.

Every aero historian I have read rated the 190D9 as the best German prop type to see large scale production.

People are only thinking in terms of a 1vs1 engagement when they form that opinion of the DCS representations. Also, the conditions under which we are testing these aircraft have almost nothing in common with the combat conditions of Europe in December 1944.

Chuck_Owl
Dec-03-2014, 18:27
Did a couple of flights with her.

All I can say is "Man... the blues are gonna LOVE her!"

VO101_Kurfurst
Dec-05-2014, 05:44
Weight.

The K model was much heavier than the earlier types... the F model was considered to be the best handling of all the 109 types by the pilots who flew it.

The combination of a very powerful engine, with the torque effects during takeoff and landing, plus the overall handling of the 109 at higher speeds was considered inferior to the 190 series.

The 109 overall was considered obsolete in 1945 by the Luftwaffe. Adolf Galland recommended production of it be eliminated as soon as possible in favour of the 190D9/TA152 series.

After the war, the USAAF and RAF didn't bother evaluating the late 109's, they were much more interested in the 190D's and TA-152's as well as the German jets.

Naturally I do not agree. :D The F for example was said to be more difficult on the landing/takeoff pattern compared to the E by RAF personnel examining it due to its steeper attitude. Now as a for weight goes, its not necessarily a bad thing on the ground. Lt. Tobak for example, was an experienced pilot but not qualified for the 109, so he went through a crash cource in 1944 in a 109E. He would fly the G, but his instructor reassured him that its less finnicky on the ground due to the higher weight.

Plus lets not forget the K had a number of conscious, important modifications exactly for ground handling - the tail wheel was much longer and improved ground attitude, the main wheel was much larger than previous models and its attachment angle was also changed to more vertical (hence the large streamlining bulges on the top wing) etc. You can pretty much forget about the more powerful engine part as well since nobody in their right mind uses full power for takeoff on later 109s, you use the 30-min rating (1,45 ata) and that's pretty much the same power and torque as the other models. For the adventurous kind, there is of course the option of unleashing the 1850 all the sudden - for me that usually results in a few hundred meters of what we call around here "gypsy roll". :D Its NOT easy to take off, its probably the closest to the real thing ever. It can go berserk on you at any time while on the ground, but in the air, its an absolute delight, as it should be, even if it likes fly a bit dirty with slideslip etc.

And frankly, the 109K has been always a scourge no matter what sim we're talking about. Same in real life. With that crazy power to weight ratio, it simply can't go wrong.

gavagai
Dec-05-2014, 06:49
The obsession with the weight of the 109 is strange to me. Every fighter went through a similar evolution, including the 109's brother, the Spitfire. Fighters in WW2 became faster, more heavily armed, and worse-turning as the war progressed.

9./JG52 Ziegler
Dec-05-2014, 09:10
Did a couple of flights with her.

All I can say is "Man... the blues are gonna LOVE her!"

Oh yeah!:thumbsup:

Vlerkies
Dec-05-2014, 09:38
It looks like during the transition from the channel battles to over Germany, more effort was put into the radiators and less into the strength of the wings :)

Haven't ripped off so many pieces of my wings ever

:doh:

LuseKofte
Dec-05-2014, 10:10
The Dora is perfect, but the 109 is totally uncontrollable, I might have to reinstall or check my controls again :(

Vlerkies
Dec-05-2014, 10:44
The Dora is perfect, but the 109 is totally uncontrollable, I might have to reinstall or check my controls again :(

Check that blasted 'take off assistance' is set to 0 (off) mate.
It defaults to 100% (on) after instal.

http://i.imgur.com/O4rtXv2.jpg

9./JG52 Jamz Dackel
Dec-05-2014, 12:45
Say what you like but that aircraft is a beaut..and that cannon, oh my