PDA

View Full Version : HE 111 Low Level Bombing Instruction

InvaderZim
Nov-28-2014, 17:54
This is for beginners like me. If you have suggestions please add them. I could find no instructions for low level and dive bombing for the HE 111. Probably cuz it was a high altitude bomber but I have been using successfully for low level.

To start with, I have keys set up for all facets of bomb control thanks to ATAG-BKellum but the only keys that seem to work with the HE 111 are the arm bombs and Bomb series delay (BUG?).

So for low level and dive bombing this is how I go about it. On the runway I go to copilot position and look at bomb-sight to ensure it is set to only one on light (default) and set the series delay to Zero. This can be seen in the first jpeg. This means I have complete control over the low level drop. “I have to press the button for every bomb dropped”. This allows you to control whether you want a series or just a couple on any single target.

In the air you arm bombs and open bay doors. As you approach the target start your dive. I use the nose gun as the bombsight. When the nose gun is just prior to the target, start dropping. I used the two pine trees to line up on and the first pine tree as the drop trigger when the gun was on or next to the pine tree. You can see this illustrated in in the second jpeg. Speed was ~250 to 300.

I manually triggered all 8 bombs as I flew by, you can see the result in the third jpeg. Perfect for a tank farm or with a bit more delay between button presses, a pass down a runway.

Hope this helps somebody. The HE 111 is a lot friendlier to fly than the JU 88 for a beginner and packs a similar punch!

xvii-Dietrich
Nov-28-2014, 19:19
Great post! Yes, the He 111 is vastly more pilot-friendly than the Ju 88, and you are right that tutorials and information are pretty scarce. I'd be reluctant to use the phrase "dive bombing" and "He 111" in the same sentence, but the He 111 is certainly a good low-level bomber.

I think the He 111 can take batches of SC50 bombs too. That might also be a good way to carpet bomb "tank farms".

InvaderZim
Nov-30-2014, 18:38
Thanks Dietrich, Here is a visual comparison of drop pattern for the fully loaded JU88 in series mode. The darker pattern is the 1 meter (series) drop from the 88. The other two are a 5 meter (series) 88 drop pattern thru the 1 meter. So a well timed 111 drop is quite effective. I agree a load of 50s in 111 should do the job. I did this cuz I like visual comparisons to help figure out what load out/series pattern works best for whatever target.