PDA

View Full Version : New beta Nvidia driver 301.24

ATAG_Snapper
Apr-15-2012, 21:36
For those that have installed them it should be possible to force FXAA using the Nvidia Performance utility (6xx, 5xx, and possibly 4xx Nvidia cards).

These are settings that Kendo posted over at SimHQ (see his screenshots a few posts down in the thread) that worked really well on my PC:

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3554646/Great_find_301_Drivers_allow_C.html#Post3554646

Up 'til now I'd been pulling my hair out trying to get the best possible combo of framerates, smoothness (no stuttering) and visual quality. These settings courtesy of Kendo worked great for me today on ATAG, even in multi-plane furballs.

Thanks, Kendo!

ATAG_NakedSquirrel
Apr-16-2012, 01:23
I gave this a shot and I gotta say this is some incredible stuff. It works pretty well with Clod (except that it also does some anti-aliasing to the text).

FXAA is some pretty kick but technology. It is able to apply Anti Aliasing to objects that normally get looked over by games (for instance textures with alpha layers). As far as performance, I really haven't noticed much (if any) impact from having FXAA on. I can even run games at a lower resolution and it's almost impossible to notice that a game is running at less than native resolution.

My native resolution is 1920x1080, and I can run games as low as 1360x768 without noticing. (Any lower and things start to seem a bit blury.) Things at a distance are a little harder to make out, but it's incredible how sharp everything looks with FXAA on. It's definitely worth a look if you have an Nvidia card. Incredible!

(Also, here's a good Screen shot comparison of what FXAA does before and after. I don't know what the game is, but it's pretty easy to tell what is going on with FXAA)

ATAG_Deacon
Apr-16-2012, 09:44
For those that have installed them it should be possible to force FXAA using the Nvidia Performance utility (6xx, 5xx, and possibly 4xx Nvidia cards).

These are settings that Kendo posted over at SimHQ (see his screenshots a few posts down in the thread) that worked really well on my PC:

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3554646/Great_find_301_Drivers_allow_C.html#Post3554646

Up 'til now I'd been pulling my hair out trying to get the best possible combo of framerates, smoothness (no stuttering) and visual quality. These settings courtesy of Kendo worked great for me today on ATAG, even in multi-plane furballs.

Thanks, Kendo!

Thanks for the link Snapper. Only had time for a quick flight after making the adjustments as recommended. Although overall the game was smoother, I did have a slow down in fps over Oly-Plague...went there low intentionally to test the settings.

Hopefully this won't be an issue in a week or so: :go:

~S~

Deacon

Doc
Apr-16-2012, 12:47
When the patch is released we will be in sim nirvana.

ATAG_Knuckles
Apr-18-2012, 11:08
Just downloaded the drivers: i need to "Add" COD to the "program Settings"
what is the correct address/link to add cod to the programs ??

ATAG_Deacon
Apr-18-2012, 11:55
Just downloaded the drivers: i need to "Add" COD to the "program Settings"
what is the correct address/link to add cod to the programs ??

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover.exe"

Follow your path to get it correct.

ATAG_Knuckles
Apr-18-2012, 12:11
Perfect

Thanks you sir

ATAG_Deacon
Apr-18-2012, 12:12
Perfect

Thanks you sir

:thumbsup:

Follow Snapper's link above and use the settings in your Nvidia Control Panel, they're great!!!

ATAG_Knuckles
Apr-18-2012, 12:18
:thumbsup:

Follow Snapper's link above and use the settings in your Nvidia Control Panel, they're great!!!

Just did that as well

Appreciate all that

Knucks

Doc
Apr-18-2012, 12:25
Save time. Save bandwidth. Save the planet - think green.

http://simhq.com/forum/files/usergals/2012/04/full-21787-32454-nvid1.jpg642
http://simhq.com/forum/files/usergals/2012/04/full-21787-32455-nvid2.jpg643

ATAG_Knuckles
Apr-18-2012, 12:27
atta boy Doc :thumbsup:

ATAG_Snapper
Apr-18-2012, 13:13
Thanks, Doc.

I gotta say, these settings of Kendo's really helped. I was putzing around in the Nvidia Control Panel with no real idea of what I was doing. I was getting frustrated with the lousy results when I would go online. I still get slowdowns when I go low over terrain (with features turned up 'cause they're purty), but with any luck the patch (2 weeks, be sure) will address this. :thumbsup:

Dutch
Apr-18-2012, 13:32
Good Stuff.

The CSAA makes a good bit of difference.

I got screen tearing with the adaptive vsynch thingy tough, so went back to application controlled.

Now the best of all worlds. Clear picture, writing not fuzzy, no screen tearing.

Thx chaps! :thumbsup:

Dutch
Apr-18-2012, 15:54
Just took a few screenshots with the above settings plus 8x in-game AA. Thought you chaps might like a look.

ATAG_Deacon
Apr-18-2012, 17:37
Just took a few screenshots with the above settings plus 8x in-game AA. Thought you chaps might like a look.

Great pictures Dutch! :shocked:

ATAG_Snapper
Apr-18-2012, 17:48
That last pic in particular had a bit of the Jack Morris-touch to it! :hpyclp:

Dutch
Apr-18-2012, 19:34
That last pic in particular had a bit of the Jack Morris-touch to it! :hpyclp:

Hmmm............not quite sure how to take that!:bgsmile:

P.S. Tonight I won Ј147.00 at the pub quiz. Good night was had. Bought all the regulars a beer after giving them all the traditional British salute!

ATAG_Snapper
Apr-18-2012, 20:03
Nice! Bit of a class act buying drinks all 'round, mate! :thumbsup:

Dutch
Apr-18-2012, 21:30
All of the questions were about Spitfires and 100 octane fuel......:bgsmile:

Doc
Apr-19-2012, 10:49
You know what...did this last night. And while I have to say that it is a massive eye candy improvement - I mean to me stunning improvement - I do notice what I have read from others that the server chat text is a little more blurry.

It will take some getting use to since I now have to get use to new settings. The pucker factor was a little bit uncomfortable last night flying around over Dover using the new settings.

Will take a little getting use to.

Dutch
Apr-19-2012, 10:57
I noticed it only in the NetStats, the chatbox looked pretty much normal for me.

But the difference in clarity of picture is HUGE! :Grin:

ATAG_Deacon
Apr-19-2012, 11:04
But the difference in clarity of picture is HUGE!

That's what she said.............:runaway:

(my apologies, sometimes I can't help myself :bgsmile: )

ATAG_Knuckles
Apr-19-2012, 11:09
I noticed it only in the NetStats, the chatbox looked pretty much normal for me.

But the difference in clarity of picture is HUGE! :Grin:

Mine's the same as well, any writing stats, chat is distorted

ALSO I notices distant background "flickers" I really dont think I like the new drivers: perhaps its a setting thats wrong: I used the settings provided by (whoever that was) My resolution is 1920X1080 60 Hz

ChiefRedCloud
Apr-19-2012, 12:44
Has anyone noticed text in Microsoft Live Mail program (if you sue it) being way out of focus witht hese settings? Also this is my path to CloD ... it says Launcher ... is this correct? I can't seem to get it to acknowledge it in the NVIDIA Control Pannel.649 And I'm refering to the EXE not the Config file.

ATAG_Colander
Apr-19-2012, 12:54
Chief,

"launcher.exe", you have the extensions hidden in windows.

Colander.

ATAG_Knuckles
Apr-19-2012, 12:54
Chief: If I am correct I used the application just above that: with the "roundel" Icon

when you get the right application it will show "WRC 2010"

ChiefRedCloud
Apr-19-2012, 12:59
Chief: If I am correct I used the application just above that: with the "roundel" Icon

when you get the right application it will show "WRC 2010"

OK .... I got that WRC 2010 ....but I guess my computer/windows mislead me by putting the LockOn icon on it ..... :pouting: .....go figure

ATAG_Deacon
Apr-19-2012, 13:04
Using Nvidia Inspector I deleted the WRC 2010 launcher and added the correct path through the Nvidia Control Panel.

This worked well!

ATAG_Septic
Apr-20-2012, 07:40
Both Nvidia Inspector and Nvidia Control Panel mis-name Launcher as WRC2010, they do modify the correct exe though.

Septic.

ATAG_Knuckles
Apr-20-2012, 09:10
I had to roll back the driver last night. I had three launcher crashes in 15 minutes (usually i get one every two hours) twice once I taxied out of the hanger at Hawkage my Spit 1a just freaking disappeared , I was left up off the ground looking at everyone else s aircraft. Didn't especially like the broken and distorted text or the distant flickering. After rolling back the driver everything seemed to work O.K.

anyone else ????????

Doc
Apr-20-2012, 09:18
Still works fine for me. Still getting use to the clearer more vivid picture. No saw tooth lines or very few. So far all good.

Dutch
Apr-20-2012, 09:27
That's weird Knucks. The disappearing plane is a game bug that I've experienced myself, so nowt to do with the driver I'd say.

It's even happened just after wheels up for me. :Grin:

I've flown for 2 hrs solid on the new driver with no crashes at all, but did see a field flickering slightly from about 5000ft over Manston. That's the only graphical anomaly I've seen though.

Which card you got?

ATAG_Knuckles
Apr-20-2012, 12:17
GE 570

I also agree that all my issues may not be from the new drivers, its just odd that all this happened right after the download

still open and checking

Dutch
Apr-20-2012, 12:22
Mine's a EVGA GTX570 1280mb, so you should be as happy as me. Weird.

ChiefRedCloud
Apr-20-2012, 12:23
Doc, so far (one flight) it (your settings suggestion) works great for me. :hpyclp: I even flew up to me some 17's and shot two down ..... which for me is special since I'm usually the one getting shot down. Only Stuuter I got is the usual around Hawk as I landed there ..... but this is normal

ATAG_Knuckles
Apr-20-2012, 12:30
Mine's a EVGA GTX570 1280mb, so you should be as happy as me. Weird.

Just looked it up to be sure

EVGA GeForce GTX 570 1280 MB exactly the same hummmmm

perhaps I should start looking at some settings

Dutch
Apr-20-2012, 12:37
I have everything on the global 'High' setting, usually with only 2x ingame AA, ssao off and vsynch on. I turned 'adaptive v-synch' in the nvidia control panel back to 'application controlled' as I was getting screen tearing with the adaptive setting.

Since the new driver, I've upped the ingame AA to 8x, and switched ssao back on. The results show up well in the screenshots I posted earlier in the thread.

I may have to back off the 8x ingame AA though, as there's a good deal of fps slowdown in certain circumstances, particularly smoke and other particle effects.

It looks bloody great though! :Grin:

ATAG_Knuckles
Apr-20-2012, 12:45
Thanks Dutch: I'll try again and see if those setting work better,

I'll let you know.

Seems a bit odd that I am the only one thats had issues:blush!:

dont really know where I'm going with that ????

ATAG_Knuckles
Apr-20-2012, 12:56
Also I am using a res of 1980 X1080 60 Hrz

Dutch
Apr-20-2012, 13:24
Yep, me too. 1920 x 1080 @60Hz

ATAG_Knuckles
May-31-2012, 21:27
Trying to find the source of some recent graphic issues: note my Nvidia settings

see arrow, is this the correct path for ClOD ??

ATAG_Deacon
May-31-2012, 22:17
Trying to find the source of some recent graphic issues: note my Nvidia settings

Not sure. I deleted whatever the default in NV Control Panel was, hit the add button, and directed NV to the launcher:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover

Worked like a charm

ATAG_Septic
Jun-01-2012, 04:24

That path looks correct (if that's where you installed Clod of course :). I have Gamma correction off as it's for OpenGL. I also enhance application AA rather than over-ride because I read persuasive advice on one of the internets that I should.

Cheers,

Septic.

ATAG_Knuckles
Jun-01-2012, 13:33
As long as I'm showing everything: here is the rest of the settings: anything look amiss?

ATAG_Septic
Jun-01-2012, 15:00
[QUOTE=ATAG_Knuckles;13736]As long as I'm showing everything: here is the rest of the settings: anything look amiss?

Nothing amiss as far as I know old chap. I use 'prefer maximum performance' for power management and High Quality for less filtering and more candy. These settings are guaranteed to be settings and they are based on extensive research of my own opinion. :)

Cheers,

Septic.

EDIT; Did you see my post about the newer drivers btw? 301.42 are WHQL.

ATAG_Knuckles
Jun-01-2012, 18:36
[QUOTE=ATAG_Knuckles;13736]As long as I'm showing everything: here is the rest of the settings: anything look amiss?

Nothing amiss as far as I know old chap. I use 'prefer maximum performance' for power management and High Quality for less filtering and more candy. These settings are guaranteed to be settings and they are based on extensive research of my own opinion. :)

Cheers,

Septic.

EDIT; Did you see my post about the newer drivers btw? 301.42 are WHQL.

Thats what I have Downloaded