PDA

View Full Version : My first BF-109 K-4 flight. Amazing Plane!

ATAG_Headshot
Dec-06-2014, 10:26
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxlSjn7wO68&list=UUC7VnNMyxG3GG54yi8GS5ew

I thought it could be interesting to record my first attempt at a flight in the K-4. I read through the manual fully, spent a bunch of time doing up all of my controls. I was not looking up procedures as I went and simply did everything off of memory from the manual and talking my way through it.

The landing was really rough but that's because I forgot a step in my landing run. When you drop flaps in this aircraft the trim goes tail heavy and you are supposed to move your trim to the -3 position (which I double checked later in the manual). I forgot to do that for this first landing which very nearly had disastrous results. Honestly I'm surprised the landing gear held up.

My first impression of this aircraft is that DCS did an amazing job. It has a very nice feeling of flight to it (IMO) and seems like it should be very competitive with the P-51. I quite enjoy the FW-190 D-9 but this plane just felt somehow like more of a fit for me. As a warning this plane also starts with take off assistance turned on, so remember to turn that off.

Overall from just this flight I can tell that I am going to have many good hours in this plane. I can't wait to try it in multiplayer servers. I would highly recommend it to anyone who likes full real prop plane combat sims. This is an instant favorite for me!

ATAG_Freya
Dec-06-2014, 10:43
:thumbsup: Very nice vid Headshot! Well explained, bookmarked it for when I try this plane out!

:salute:

ATAG_Snapper
Dec-06-2014, 12:09
That video was a good watch, Headshot! :thumbsup:

Black034
Dec-06-2014, 12:36
Your first flight?

Damn that's impressive!

That climbrate ey? She's a beauty!

Chuck_Owl
Dec-06-2014, 14:17
Yep she is impressive.

ATAG_Flare
Dec-06-2014, 15:01
As soon as there's a sale I'll be picking this up for sure! Looks impressive! And apparently the MK108 just wrecks P51s with a shot or two.

flare

ATAG_Headshot
Dec-06-2014, 15:28
I can't wait to get hits on a player flown P-51 with that cannon.

ATAG_Freya
Dec-07-2014, 10:20
Your first flight?

Damn that's impressive!

+1

Well, after having tried it out about 10 minutes ago, I should have re-watched your vid first to refresh my memory. Had the trim set at -3 for take-off. It was hideous. It ended fast. Nice aircraft though! Love the sounds, and feel of the pit. Any suggestion on stick curves? I know it'll be different for various hardware, just wondering how much people tweak this to curb the sensitivity. I had my curves set at 11, deadzone 3, and it was crazy - need more perhaps...

III./ZG76_Keller
Dec-07-2014, 10:47
Looks good, but when are they going to give you some WWII scenery to fly over. All these WWII birds in DCS look like they're practicing for a modern airshow.

ATAG_Freya
Dec-07-2014, 12:12
Reminds me of Iron Eagles! ha. But, I agree, it needs a proper map! (and flyable B-17s *drool*)

http://www.cavok.com.br/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Iron-Eagle-III.jpg

ATAG_Headshot
Dec-07-2014, 13:01
+1

Well, after having tried it out about 10 minutes ago, I should have re-watched your vid first to refresh my memory. Had the trim set at -3 for take-off. It was hideous. It ended fast. Nice aircraft though! Love the sounds, and feel of the pit. Any suggestion on stick curves? I know it'll be different for various hardware, just wondering how much people tweak this to curb the sensitivity. I had my curves set at 11, deadzone 3, and it was crazy - need more perhaps...

I find with DCS I put my rudder, roll, and pitch axis curves all to 20 for pretty much every plane. Rudder and toe brakes I leave as is, though usually you have to invert the toe brakes the first time. I'm using a thrustmaster warthog with an extension for that too.

9./JG52_J-HAT
Dec-21-2014, 05:09
Hey Headshot, do you have a link for the 109 flight manual? I can't find it anywhere!

Thanks.

ATAG_Endless
Dec-21-2014, 06:10
Got my first online kills with the 190 and 109 kushviper and myself shared 3 kills and I scored two with the 109 those 30 mm cannons are truly devastating

9./JG52 Mindle
Dec-21-2014, 10:01
I find with DCS I put my rudder, roll, and pitch axis curves all to 20 for pretty much every plane. Rudder and toe brakes I leave as is, though usually you have to invert the toe brakes the first time. I'm using a thrustmaster warthog with an extension for that too.

I have started with 25 on the curves across all 3 axis. Only got the p51 at the mo though. Just learning the game. Not dared venture online yet. [emoji85]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ATAG_Headshot
Dec-21-2014, 14:42
Hey Headshot, do you have a link for the 109 flight manual? I can't find it anywhere!

Thanks.

It's actually a .pdf file in your game directory. Most DCS modules have the manual tucked away with the install. For the 109 go to [your DCS foler]\Mods\aircraft\Bf-109K-4\Doc

9./JG52_J-HAT
Dec-21-2014, 16:17
Thanks Headshot! Just finished reading it.

Have you gotten any good servers you play on?

ATAG_Headshot
Dec-21-2014, 18:19
"Dogs of War" I kind of the go to server for WWII right now

9./JG52_J-HAT
Dec-21-2014, 19:29
Tried my luck in that one... It was the only one populated.
Got some shots in multiple Mustangs and got killed by one after failing to realize he followed me in the climb in some sorties earlier today... Pretty fun though. Still haven't been able to land safely without having to repair my plane... That adds to the fun.

jaydee
Dec-24-2014, 04:16
My first kill in the 109 ! some screens :
I never thought I would enjoy the 109 so much !
My spit is Coming ! ~S~

9./JG52 Ziegler
Dec-24-2014, 07:30
Our squad is loving the Kurfurst (Dora too). The 30mm will tear up anything you hit with it. I hope you guys all have Diveplane11's sound mods for the K4 and Dora (Mustang too). It takes things up to another level for sure. :thumbsup: Finger's crossed that the new Edge engine and ensuing maps are up to the level of the FM's of these great planes. Check out the sound mods on this quicky vid I made. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0-55k9bli4

javelina
Dec-24-2014, 11:37
Our squad is loving the Kurfurst (Dora too). The 30mm will tear up anything you hit with it. I hope you guys all have Diveplane11's sound mods for the K4 and Dora (Mustang too). It takes things up to another level for sure. :thumbsup: Finger's crossed that the new Edge engine and ensuing maps are up to the level of the FM's of these great planes. Check out the sound mods on this quicky vid I made. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0-55k9bli4

+1 on Diveplane's sound mods! good "stuff". :thumbsup:

ATAG_Flare
Dec-25-2014, 01:26
I just tried out the K4 myself, and am really enjoying it! The climb is awesome and it's easy to fly, IMHO easier than the Dora. I nosed over on my first attempt at takeoff but it was easy the second time. Landing was much easier than the Dora, (I found it very hard to keep straight on the runway in the 190) the 109 just settles down nicely and I landed no damage first try. In a dogfight the K4 easily manoeuvres with the mustang and the MK108 does a lot of damage! Overall I am very impressed with the performance of the plane and the quality of the simulation. A definite 10/10 from me.

Flare

RAF74_Buzzsaw
Dec-25-2014, 01:42
Landing was much easier than the Dora, (I found it very hard to keep straight on the runway in the 190) the 109 just settles down nicely and I landed no damage first try.

... Hmm.... All the German pilot reports noted the Dora was far easier to land and take off in... in fact the 109's were noted for their difficulty and tendency to drift during takeoff or landing runs due to the off camber, narrow track wheels.

ATAG_Headshot
Dec-25-2014, 03:26
Anyone have a link for the 109 sound mod? I can't find Diveplanes for that plane for some reason. Already have the P-51 and the Dora... I must be blind. Thanks in advance!

9./JG52_J-HAT
Dec-25-2014, 05:16
... Hmm.... All the German pilot reports noted the Dora was far easier to land and take off in... in fact the 109's were noted for their difficulty and tendency to drift during takeoff or landing runs due to the off camber, narrow track wheels.

The problem I have with the 109 is its tendency to dip the wingtip (because of the narrow landing gear). But apart from that it does seems easier to land in it.
Landing in the 190 always ends up bad if you have a slight sideslip or don't control her in the slow down.

Take off is the same in both for me, just put the tail down and it doesn't veer off with just little brake (at the beginning) and rudder input. The 109 just has a tendency to climb all the time with stick in neutral and trim set to 2. So I need to push the stick forward a bit.

But i'm liking it too.

I noticed it's become easier to stall after the last patch. Or is it just me and nothing was changed?

PS: I just hope they don't give in to any eventual moans from forum member over at The Eagle Editions Forums and end up the cannons, climbing ability, turn performance, controllability based on not so accurate data or dabatable information.

javelina
Dec-25-2014, 10:36
Anyone have a link for the 109 sound mod? I can't find Diveplanes for that plane for some reason. Already have the P-51 and the Dora... I must be blind. Thanks in advance!

http://www.lockonfiles.com/files/file/2974-bf109-k-4-audio-production-10/

9./JG52 Ziegler
Dec-25-2014, 14:51

I agree Buzz. After flying the Kurfurst for a while the Dora is piece of cake. The wide stance of the gear makes it a breeze to takeoff and land and the one handle engine control was ahead of it's time.

aus3620
Dec-25-2014, 16:56
Recently decided to have a look at the DCS WW2 rides and picked up the Dora and the Mustang. Had a heap of problems with taking off with the Dora. After checking out the DCS forums I found the following post and it made a lot of sense to me. After a little practice take-offs are now a routine and enjoyable part of the experience. I'm presuming the DCS 109 will have similar characteristics. Here is an extract from the post I mentioned:

1. Absolutely most crucial thing and my most common error was centring the stick too soon. When the tail wheel unlocks your already applied rudder input yaws the plane to the right and you start skidding (and skidding at these speeds is drift extravaganza!). Those that haven't figured it out yet or read it elsewhere: do not centre the stick until you reach ~150km/h. At this speed you can centre it literary in a second and nothing bad should happen. Your tail will get airborne which will only add to your yaw ability and even less rudder will be required to keep you on the runway.

2. Second most important thing is not to do the opposite and hold the stick back for too long. If the elevator is nailing your tail to the ground but the speed creates enough lift under the main wings the first thing that will happen to you after you lift off will be a stall.

3. Be prepared to counter the prop gyro effect and apply a slight roll to the right the moment your wheels leave the ground.

I am no expert at this but following these rules allowed me to perform 10+ consecutive successful take offs. It's a nice change to look at the crash craters from my earlier attempts from above.

Two more things you might find helpful but not related to how you control the aircraft during take off:

1. Enable the Take-Off Assistance for the Dora and observe what kind of movement and to what extend the "AI rudder" is performing during you normal take off. It will help you realize what type of movement you need to reproduce to get in the air with no assistance.

2. Watch your Artificial Horizon the moment you apply thrust and try to neutralize the Turn indicator's movement with the rudder as you gain speed. The thing we don't feel flying our virtual aircraft on PCs is the g-forces the pilot would sense with his whole body. He could counter any initial side to side motion because he would feel it. We need a visual representation of that to act.

Chuck_Owl
Dec-29-2014, 16:22
With sound mods, that Daimler-Benz just sounds mean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HA5CNvC5HM&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HA5CNvC5HM&feature=youtu.be

Jugdriver
Dec-30-2014, 01:00
Chuck, is that the same sound mod?

AKA_MattE

Chuck_Owl
Dec-30-2014, 16:52
Diveplane's.

Black034
Dec-30-2014, 17:30
+1

It almost doesn't matter what you set it, you either need a full size stick or silk hands lol.

ATAG_Headshot
Dec-30-2014, 17:39
I have about a 15 centimeter stick extension and I set my curves for most DCS aircraft to a curvature of 20. You need to be a lot more gentle in your movements in DCS than most other sims in my opinion.

bolox
Dec-31-2014, 06:11
I have a replica KG13 (ie full length) stick and I'm finding it still needs a curve of ~ 20 to feel right.

If it wasn't needed to counteract take off swing I would drop the overall throw of the rudder to ~70% but am running a 30 curve for now with full throw- at least I can take off- most of the time:D

One thing I am finding is the trim stabilizer as an axis is 'odd'- it doesn't act as a 'position dependant ' trim wheel (as does P51) but acts like a centered device that changes speed of change with deflection from centre- if the axis was a standard self centering one like a joystick, it would 'sort of work' to set trim- but with a 5 turn trim wheel it's redundant. Has this been reported/discussed? as I haven't seen any coments on it.
For now I just jam it hard forward (2 on indic) for whole flight.

I also have a replica 109 throttle unit- it would be nice to be able to assign fuel booster pumps to an axis so I can use this control in a realistic fashion

Falco
Jan-01-2015, 16:41
I have a replica KG13 (ie full length) stick and I'm finding it still needs a curve of ~ 20 to feel right.

If it wasn't needed to counteract take off swing I would drop the overall throw of the rudder to ~70% but am running a 30 curve for now with full throw- at least I can take off- most of the time:D

One thing I am finding is the trim stabilizer as an axis is 'odd'- it doesn't act as a 'position dependant ' trim wheel (as does P51) but acts like a centered device that changes speed of change with deflection from centre- if the axis was a standard self centering one like a joystick, it would 'sort of work' to set trim- but with a 5 turn trim wheel it's redundant. Has this been reported/discussed? as I haven't seen any coments on it.
For now I just jam it hard forward (2 on indic) for whole flight.

I also have a replica 109 throttle unit- it would be nice to be able to assign fuel booster pumps to an axis so I can use this control in a realistic fashion

I made a post in the bug reporting section about the trim wheel but it's on the second page by now and nothing mentioned of it by the devs, hopefully a fix is on the way so I can use my Saitek trim wheel

ATAG_((dB))
Jan-02-2015, 05:14
I thought it could be interesting to record my first attempt at a flight in the K-4. I read through the manual fully, spent a bunch of time doing up all of my controls. I was not looking up procedures as I went and simply did everything off of memory from the manual and talking my way through it.

The landing was really rough but that's because I forgot a step in my landing run. When you drop flaps in this aircraft the trim goes tail heavy and you are supposed to move your trim to the -3 position (which I double checked later in the manual). .....

Can you post a link of that manual please.

o7

9./JG52 Ziegler
Jan-02-2015, 05:42
That is Diveplane's sound mod on the k4 and p51 in Chuck's excellent video. The outside of cockpit sounds with dopler are very realistic.

:thumbsup:

9./JG52 Ziegler
Jan-02-2015, 05:59
Can you post a link of that manual please.

o7

It is in your DCS game folder by aircraft module in user side I believe.

ATAG_((dB))
Jan-02-2015, 07:31
Found it, thanks