PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane high altitude help!!

SamJoDo
Dec-11-2014, 19:11
What CEM settings do I need to keep my Hurricane (Hurricane I Rotol 100 Oct) at >+18,000 ft? It seems I can't do it anymore (at least I don't remember ever having an issue). My engine always starts shaking/coughing about 5 minutes after hitting that altitude. I have no problems with the Spits..just the Hurricane. Any help is appreciated!

ATAG_Dave
Dec-11-2014, 19:14
What CEM settings do I need to keep my Hurricane (Hurricane I Rotol 100 Oct) at >+18,000 ft? It seems I can't do it anymore (at least I don't remember ever having an issue). My engine always starts shaking/coughing about 5 minutes after hitting that altitude. I have no problems with the Spits..just the Hurricane. Any help is appreciated!

Have you checked that you are not inadvertently adjusting the mixture? That can cause that issue. It should be left at fully rich (which is the default position)

SamJoDo
Dec-11-2014, 20:08
Yes, I do not touch the mixture.

ATAG_Dave
Dec-11-2014, 20:19
Yes, I do not touch the mixture.

what are your Radiator, Prop and Throttle settings? That Hurricane has the same engine as the spit mk1a (100) so it should behave the same...

Baffin
Dec-11-2014, 22:10
It really does sound like mixture... Try changing it to see if the problem disappears. Keep us posted!

RAF74_Buzzsaw
Dec-11-2014, 22:46
Which model Hurricane is this?

If its a DH5-20, two pitch version, you need to be careful you are not over revving it in fine pitch. (100%)

If its a standard constant speed Hurricane, your problem is either your mixture is incorrectly set, or your install is corrupted.

This could happen if you forgot to delete the cache file after you run each patch, and before you installed the next one.

Roblex
Dec-12-2014, 02:54
I have taken the Hurri to 30K a few times without really trying (poor altitude maintenance while patrolling :D) so not fiddling with the engine settings at all. I generally fly at about 27000-28000rpm and at that alt probably had the rad almost closed. It is possible I have reduced the rpm to 25000 if patrolling. Maybe the secret is that I would have been cruising fast in a gentle climb but you are trying to climb steeper?

A silly question possibly but...are you using the latest Team Fusion patched version? There used to be a problem with Merlins coughing and shaking around 18,000ft but TF fixed it over a year ago.

SorcererDave
Dec-12-2014, 04:49
It could be that the engine's a bit cold all the way up there. I've over-cooled my engine sometimes in long dives at idle throttle, which causes that shuddering effect. Other than that, you could be using the 87 octane Hurricane, which I believe does have some engine-related issues in the current build that might be contributing to this.

Hood
Dec-12-2014, 05:12
OP says Hurricane I Rotol 100 Oct.

Like Fidget says it sounds like the mixture setting. The only other possibility would be killing the engine somehow e.g. overheating. If the shaking goes away below 18,000 it really does sound like mixture. I'll add to Roblex's comment that it's quite easy to amble up to 30,000ft by accident without any of the effects you're describing. Most times I leave the radiator fully open and forget about it (unless I'm running or chasing) so I'm not sure over-cooling is a problem.

It might be worth playing with the pitch controls. I normally keep to around 2,600rpm in the Horribus when patrolling, and only increase prop pitch if I need extra climb ability.

Aside from that, corrupted file maybe?

Hood

SamJoDo
Dec-12-2014, 08:19
I don't think its mixture but I'll give it another look when I get home from work. Thanks for the help everyone!

RAF74_Buzzsaw
Dec-12-2014, 14:12
I don't think its mixture but I'll give it another look when I get home from work. Thanks for the help everyone!

Are you running the Team Fusion patches?

Without them, you will get the misfires.... this was one of the biggest bugs of the vanilla game.