PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Bofors guns

jmack
Dec-13-2014, 11:21
Can someone give me instructions on how to 'range' the guns? In play. I've been advised to click 'F2', then 'Escape', reenter and then click 'F1'. I've
also heard it's 'Alt F2 and F1', or that it's 'Ctrl F2 and F1'. There is probably a sequence also...click 'F2 (plus Alt/Ctrl - whichever is correct), 'Escape',
reenter fly and then click 'F1', etc. The procedure has to do with letting AI take over and it will 'range' the gun...logical that this would have to be
done while there is an enemy aircraft to shoot at.

Also, while tracking a target, the guns will start turning in the opposite direction and you have no control until they decide to stop! That can be
exceedingly annoying!!!

Is there any way to track with the Bofors other than left click on the 'mouse' and move it around the pad?

I enjoy 'Bofors guns' because of the 'BOOM' when it fires, it has unlimited ammo, you see the explosion of the shell (when it's working properly - which
is probably my fault) and sometime you get into a 'duel' with an enemy pilot. You also get to see some amazing takeoffs and landings...some amazingly
good and some amazingly 'disastrous'!

By accident, I learned that you can destroy your own position by having the barrel depressed too low and firing a round into the sand bags!

Any instruction will be gratefully appreciated. Go 'shoot'em up guys!

3./JG51_Heiden
Dec-14-2014, 19:43
This is a flight simulator. Why would you want to man a gun on the ground when you could be flying? :-(

Wolf
Dec-14-2014, 19:53
This is a flight simulator. Why would you want to man a gun on the ground when you could be flying? :-(

Because some people would love the challenge of trying to shoot down a human manned plane.
Why would you care anyway what others do... or are you scared that human manned AAA may have a better shot at taking you down than the AI.

No need to back answer this. Just accept tat the ability to man AAA is possible in this great game :)

InvaderZim
Dec-15-2014, 00:16
I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW THE ANSWER TO THE AAA QUESTION TOO!!!!! Can't tell you how many times I have spwaned into a airfield only to have it jumped by a Bleni support group straffin and bombing, Much easier to hop into AAA and duke it out from the ground than try to get airborne only to get picked off coming off the runway. I have manned AAA on several occasions and had a great time doing it. It is fun to see the vultures eating your flack!:) I await the answer with great anticipation. My thanks to TF for the AAA ability.:)

Black034
Dec-15-2014, 06:43
Sorry but engaging vultures with AA is way to much fun, especially when they strafe you head-on! :doh:

jmack
Dec-15-2014, 22:51
Sir, Oblt Heiden, permission to speak,Sir! Guess I'm just a 'ground pounder', a 'grunt' by nature. Without giving excuses, I confess to not having the flying (combat) skills to compete with most of you guys. It's embarrassing to be outflown
and shot down by a JU-87!!! Go on out there and shoot'em up.

Hazza
Dec-15-2014, 23:46
Jmack,

Although as mentioned you can use ALT F1 and F2, I would strongly advise that you try and either contact 69th FAB when he is on the server or contact one of the other 69th chaps to get FAB's details. He almost 100% of the time flies the bofers and with great success. However, if you can't contact him try speaking with 69th Red as I'm sure he will put you in contact with FAB. As a side note I'm just about to speak to 69th Red and will ask him to try and get FAB to answer your question(s). In addition, Jmack, I see no reason for you that you should feel embarrassed about being out flown by a JU-87 as it has happened to lots of people, who perhaps would not wish to admit to it. I for one have been shot down many times by a JU-87 flown by a pain in the butt person called Chubby! However, each time he shots me down, I try and learn from the last time and improve on it. I have tried to fly the Ju-87 to understand its weaknesses, also. Therefore try flying the J-87 and just have some bloody good fun with it, as at the end of the day, that's what we are all here to have! However, I'm sure if you speak with Chubby, he will tell you his JU-87 flying secrets!! PS, he is a KIWI, so you might have to speak very slowly to him!! LOL

Heiden,

Although this is a flight sim, I would question why people would not want to fly other aircraft red or blue, therefore I do not think your response is either helpful or constructive as players should be able to play whatever they choose and we here should be here to try and answer players questions and support them. As a side note, I believe that there are a number of players that, owing to medical conditions or other reasons that they do not have to explain, are unable to fly but are still able to enjoy the community spirit and playing Bofors gives them the same type of satisfaction as perhaps others get from only flying Me-109s. I understand your tongue and cheek reply, however, please try to bare in mind that we should not judge others on what makes this sim buzz for them. Having Bofers "manned' by real people adds another level to this sim and a challenge so with everybody contributing to the game it makes for a better sim experience!

Regards

HAZA

69th_Red}{awk
Dec-15-2014, 23:54
jmack...If you see 69th_Fab48 on line in atag server he will be more then happy to help you..
<S> Red}{awk

trademe900
Dec-16-2014, 02:29
Can someone give me instructions on how to 'range' the guns? In play. I've been advised to click 'F2', then 'Escape', reenter and then click 'F1'. I've
also heard it's 'Alt F2 and F1', or that it's 'Ctrl F2 and F1'. There is probably a sequence also...click 'F2 (plus Alt/Ctrl - whichever is correct), 'Escape',
reenter fly and then click 'F1', etc. The procedure has to do with letting AI take over and it will 'range' the gun...logical that this would have to be
done while there is an enemy aircraft to shoot at.

Also, while tracking a target, the guns will start turning in the opposite direction and you have no control until they decide to stop! That can be
exceedingly annoying!!!

Is there any way to track with the Bofors other than left click on the 'mouse' and move it around the pad?

I enjoy 'Bofors guns' because of the 'BOOM' when it fires, it has unlimited ammo, you see the explosion of the shell (when it's working properly - which
is probably my fault) and sometime you get into a 'duel' with an enemy pilot. You also get to see some amazing takeoffs and landings...some amazingly
good and some amazingly 'disastrous'!

By accident, I learned that you can destroy your own position by having the barrel depressed too low and firing a round into the sand bags!

Any instruction will be gratefully appreciated. Go 'shoot'em up guys!

If you are on tomorrow then I can help with the ins and outs of manning the 40mm, albeit not to the standards of fab!

Chuck_Owl
Dec-16-2014, 03:38

Why would you want to ask that question when you could be giving a meaningful/helpful answer instead? ;)

Chubby Bunting
Dec-16-2014, 03:48
Hey jmack,
The Bofors are great fun, it's so cool you are able to jump in them in this sim. Don't listen to people who look down their nose at AAA gunners, there's nothing better than having proficient gunners defending your airfield, and a place where you can drag a bad guy back to in a fix! Fab has saved me a number of times!
I think to get the gun to 'range' itself you have to jump out (Alt F2), then let it have a look, then jump back in (Alt F1), is this correct bofor boffins?
Stuka is a beast, and great fun to fly, don't try and out turn or out climb it! it is lightly armed so you will always outgun it in a head-to-head (which I try to avoid when flying it), also it turns better to the right than the left.
It's great to see you exploring all facets of the game mate, makes us appreciate just how much work has been put into it! :salute:
I even jumped in a tank for the first time yesterday! driving around shooting at houses, this game is so much fun.

Best of luck. S!

Osprey
Dec-16-2014, 05:37

This is a limited view imho. Oleg had bigger visions for this, hence the driveables and details to the nth degree on the ground. Ground war has a far bigger player base than air war, it would make sense to push this part of COD, but I don't think marketing has ever been a strong point has it....

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14243&p=156907#post156907

ATAG_Snapper
Dec-16-2014, 10:09
When you get right down to it, "It's all about the fun". :thumbsup: Or, "whatever floats your boat". :D

Osprey is dead on, Oleg had so much intended for this sim beyond flying aircraft. It's all there, apparently, as TF is gradually unlocking so much!

Having said that, let's please keep posts on topic with hints and tips for using the Bofors. I may like to hop on one to give a strafing 109 or 110 a nasty surprise at Canterbury!

:devilish:

ATAG_((dB))
Dec-16-2014, 10:45

Weren't we married before?

ATAG_Snapper
Dec-16-2014, 11:02
Before we go the way of the banana, let's call a halt to the proceedings.

Jmack, hopefully the tips you've received (thanks, folks :salute:) will help you knock down some intruders!

:)