PDA

View Full Version : Silent Hunter 5 models?

Sandbag69
Dec-24-2014, 07:40
Hi

Anyone been in contact with some of the great Silent Hunter 5 modders to see if they will allow their wonderful ship models to be used in IL2 CLod TF?

They really do produce some great ships. So many of them too.

Just wondering

RAF74_Buzzsaw
Dec-24-2014, 14:11
Hi

Anyone been in contact with some of the great Silent Hunter 5 modders to see if they will allow their wonderful ship models to be used in IL2 CLod TF?

They really do produce some great ships. So many of them too.

Just wondering

Team Fusion cannot accept the use of models which have been officially published in other games. It would raise too many legal issues and put the work of TF in jeopardy.

Models which were built by individuals for their own non-official versions would be acceptable, but the catch is our graphics standards and requirements are quite different from most other games.

Sandbag69
Dec-25-2014, 13:05
Team Fusion cannot accept the use of models which have been officially published in other games. It would raise too many legal issues and put the work of TF in jeopardy.

Models which were built by individuals for their own non-official versions would be acceptable, but the catch is our graphics standards and requirements are quite different from most other games.

Hi Buzzsaw

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking of the Modded ships, which are very high quality models.

Salmo
Dec-25-2014, 22:13
Hi Buzzsaw

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking of the Modded ships, which are very high quality models.
The Silent Hunter files from the ship mods are not in a format that can be used in COD. We'd have to get the original 3D model files (blender or 3D Max) from the mod author before they were converted to Silent Hunter format.

xvii-Dietrich
Dec-26-2014, 10:03
The Silent Hunter files from the ship mods are not in a format that can be used in COD. We'd have to get the original 3D model files (blender or 3D Max) from the mod author before they were converted to Silent Hunter format.

I don't know about SH5. However, SH3 models can be converted to Wavefront and 3DMAX formats using the S3D "threditor". I have tested this with Wavefront into Blender, but there are a lot of issues with nodes and surface windings. So I think that this is probably only useful to assist modelling and would be difficult to do this as a direct conversion. S3D primarily is to convert into the 3DMAX format, but I do not have 3DMAX, so I cannot test its reliability in this area.

As already mentioned, we need to avoid using copyrighted material. Although it seems that a huge number of files exist for SH5, most of these are conversions from SH3 and SH4, and vice-versa, thus boosting the number of ships in all SH-series. This would, however, make it impossible for inclusion in a TF patch as Buzzsaw said.

PS: SH3 is a cool sim. :thumbsup: