PDA

View Full Version : Download/Install DCS from Steam or direct from DCS?

ATAG_Dave
Dec-30-2014, 06:55
Are there any pros and cons as to which method to use?

I was intending to do this direct from DCS as I would like to install it on a different hard drive (I do not want to take up any more space on my SSD which is where steam and its apps currently reside).

ATAG_NakedSquirrel
Dec-30-2014, 06:59
It depends if you purchased your planes from the DCS store or Steam store.

I recommend downloading and purchasing from the DCS site. It is easier to control your updates (if an update is bugged) and easier to access open beta patches.

ATAG_Dave
Dec-30-2014, 07:17
It depends if you purchased your planes from the DCS store or Steam store.

I recommend downloading and purchasing from the DCS site. It is easier to control your updates (if an update is bugged) and easier to access open beta patches.

I havnt purchased anything - I thought id ask this question before I got started. Thanks for the head up :thumbsup:

Marmus
Dec-30-2014, 07:49
Imho, direct. I still dislike Steam after....how many years?

You have better control over files without Steam. From what I have heard, most people regret going the Steam route.

You can buy modules on Steam, and use the code to install via Eagle Dynamics downloads. But not the other way around....ED codes will not work on Steam version.

But, as is apparent, I am Steam hater.

Mudcat
Dec-30-2014, 08:28
I went with direct instead of Steam myself. Sales seem a bit more frequent or at least sooner than on Steam.

I don't have anything against steam (got 350+ games there :P ) but for DCS I don't see any real advantage for getting them there. Actually looking at the sales going on now, they are cheaper from ED, 70% off of most as opposed to 65% from Steam. Plus you can pre-order stuff through ED etc, game wise, don't think there is any difference, although if steam is down you would be screwed. But direct from ED seems to better option for purchases, just my 2 cents.

ATAG_Dave
Dec-30-2014, 09:00
Thanks guys ill go the direct route then (handy as ive already downloaded all the files)

Is there any issue with installing DCS on a drive other than my C drive (where my OS resides)?

Mudcat
Dec-30-2014, 09:21
Thanks guys ill go the direct route then (handy as ive already downloaded all the files)

Is there any issue with installing DCS on a drive other than my C drive (where my OS resides)?

Nope, have mine on a different drive. Only thing I did was move the location of where the replay and missions get saved to. some of that stuff saved to your (user name)/saved games folder, y ou can just redirect the whole folder to a different drive, or at least I did as my SSD with my OS i try to keep as clean as possible.

ATAG_Dave
Dec-30-2014, 10:54
Nope, have mine on a different drive. Only thing I did was move the location of where the replay and missions get saved to. some of that stuff saved to your (user name)/saved games folder, y ou can just redirect the whole folder to a different drive, or at least I did as my SSD with my OS i try to keep as clean as possible.

Thanks Mudcat :thumbsup:

ATAG_((dB))
Dec-30-2014, 11:15
Are there any pros and cons as to which method to use?

I was intending to do this direct from DCS as I would like to install it on a different hard drive (I do not want to take up any more space on my SSD which is where steam and its apps currently reside).

Even you buy it on Steam you can still place it on a different drive.

ATAG_Lolsav
Dec-30-2014, 13:32
You can also combine the 2 worlds, non-steam and steam. Install the game by downloading the files and later add it to STEAM as a "non-steam" game. The beneficts? You will show as playing DCS World and your friends can still check where you are.

ATAG_Dave
Dec-30-2014, 14:33
You can also combine the 2 worlds, non-steam and steam. Install the game by downloading the files and later add it to STEAM as a "non-steam" game. The beneficts? You will show as playing DCS World and your friends can still check where you are.

Thanks for the info Lolsav :thumbsup:

Well I have it installed. Ive taken off and landed in the unarmed p51 (ive also managed to take off and crash but we'll skip over that bit....lol), though im yet to work out how to save my control settings so im having to re do them each time - the 'save as' option when i adjust from in game doesnt seem to do anything.

Much to learn.....

9./JG52 Mindle
Dec-30-2014, 14:36
I have also recently started flying dcs. Got the p51 and fw190 and f 86. Dcs download. On my one and only 1Tb hdd. No problems at all. [emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ATAG_Dave
Dec-30-2014, 19:13
I have also recently started flying dcs. Got the p51 and fw190 and f 86. Dcs download. On my one and only 1gb hdd. No problems at all. [emoji1]

Yeah its not a space issue - i have a 120gb SSD and a 1tb HDD. Ive kep the SSD pure, just like me :) so its has Windows and Clod only. Everything else goes elsewhere.

I think i need to check the realism (?) settings in DCS as it seemed way too easy to take off on default settings

9./JG52 Mindle
Dec-30-2014, 19:16
Make sure you are in the TF 51 real or sim option

9./JG52 Mindle
Dec-30-2014, 19:18
The p51 is not hard to fly though I find.. The take off is much easier than the fw 190

9./JG52 Mindle
Dec-30-2014, 19:27
Also check take off assistance is off

ATAG_Dave
Dec-30-2014, 19:52
Also check take off assistance is off

Yep i used the 'real' (or whatever its called ) version, switched off the take of assistance etc. Its only the free one iv'e tried - the one with no guns. The real one is about 9 dollars so ill need to save up for that :)

9./JG52 Mindle
Dec-30-2014, 19:53
Ha ha! Ask Mrs Dave!

ATAG_Dave
Dec-30-2014, 19:56
Ha ha! Ask Mrs Dave!

...clearly you've not met her :)

9./JG52 Mindle
Dec-30-2014, 19:59
Ha! She can't be worse than Mrs. mindle!!! She knows I bought the nice new case but I managed to overlook the 300 pound gpu that came with it! I said ' oh good my new power supply has come too'. [emoji1] if it's not 'big fat gypsy something or other she's not interested.

ATAG_Dave
Dec-30-2014, 20:08
if it's not 'big fat gypsy something or other she's not interested.

:glaughter:

9./JG52 Mindle
Dec-30-2014, 20:09
[emoji33]