PDA

View Full Version : Rise of Flight MP Server reccomendations?

ATAG_Paranoid_Glitch
Jan-02-2015, 08:29
S! Gentlemen,

I am very late to the party, but have just recently discovered ROF, and I am loving it :)

This weekend I plan to venture into MP- can anyone please point me in the direction a grown up, civilised full real server (ATAG like in other words)?

thanks

Paranoid

ATAG_Headshot
Jan-02-2015, 09:10
I think ChiefRedCloud from our server here runs a ROF server called New Wings.

ChiefRedCloud
Jan-02-2015, 12:41
Hi Paranoid ... There are several good online servers to choose from. The Syndicate is an excellent server as is our own New Wings servers. Syndicate offers a close historical type atmosphere or near full real experience. At New Wings we offer our Basic Training server where you can fly unmolested and learn against AI air and ground targets and get assistance from other pilots and our NW volunteers. We also host the Fast n Furious server for just plane old dogfighting period. And then we host our Wargrounds server where we too try establish a near real historical missions.

If we can be of any help, just pop into our servers or our forums, New Wings Virtual Flight Training (http://newwingstraining.com/news.php) and let us know what help you may need. We also have loads of help videos and books for your interest in the First Great Air War as reflected by Rise of Flight.

Cheers

Chief

ATAG_Paranoid_Glitch
Jan-02-2015, 13:18
thanks Headshot.

Thanks Chief S!

ATAG_NakedSquirrel
Jan-03-2015, 03:20
Yep, Wargrounds and Syndicate are the two best servers at the moment.

Syndicate is usually a little better when there are 30+ players because the maps are a bit larger You can find that number of players on weekends (usually in the afternoon CST).

Wargrounds has smaller maps, and it tends to be more populated later in the evening and on weeknights

ATAG_Paranoid_Glitch
Jan-03-2015, 03:40
thanks ns

Otyg
Jan-09-2015, 18:55
I think I would love to give RoF another go sometime soon also. Now that I have all the gear I want.

Wouldn't it be nice to gather a large group from here and have a evening In RoF with either just old dogfights or some sort of campaigne'ish thing?

I'll dl it asap.

ATAG_Headshot
Jan-09-2015, 23:16
Likewise

Donathin
Jan-14-2015, 17:59
S! Gentlemen,

I am very late to the party, but have just recently discovered ROF, and I am loving it :)

This weekend I plan to venture into MP- can anyone please point me in the direction a grown up, civilised full real server (ATAG like in other words)?

thanks

Paranoid

I am recently returned to ROF after 3yr absence. I have tried several MP servers. My observation is that it is pretty much like a QM, say for instance your Camel vs DR1 "ace". Typically you are hurt after first enemy burst, due either to wound and/or oil leak. At least in QM u can just restart. In MP much time is lost respawning. I suspect that the servers are either populated with super skilled marksmen or the hit bubbles are larger in MP. Only people who know are those who programmed the game. Anyway good luck when you go online. Please report your findings.

ATAG_Freya
Jan-14-2015, 18:03
I am recently returned to ROF after 3yr absence. I have tried several MP servers. My observation is that it is pretty much like a QM, say for instance your Camel vs DR1 "ace". Typically you are hurt after first enemy burst, due either to wound and/or oil leak. At least in QM u can just restart. In MP much time is lost respawning. I suspect that the servers are either populated with super skilled marksmen or the hit bubbles are larger in MP. Only people who know are those who programmed the game. Anyway good luck when you go online. Please report your findings.

LOL I get my butt kicked every time in MP but it's great fun. I think J5_Mueller hates me ( - sorry not sure how to spell the name, and :salute: to him he's an awesome pilot). Kills me to death every time! But I keep trying...

Donathin
Jan-14-2015, 18:15
LOL I get my butt kicked every time in MP but it's great fun. I think J5_Mueller hates me ( - sorry not sure how to spell the name, and :salute: to him he's an awesome pilot). Kills me to death every time! But I keep trying...

What puzzles me is that I have pumped numerous rounds into "ace" AI and have NEVER seen ace's plane go down due to wounds yet I seem to get wounded in first or second burst of every online encounter.

ATAG_Highseas
Jul-21-2017, 07:46
Old thread resurrection !

Just got the Channel Map and I'm all enthused....

Can any of you chaps flying in the "older olden days" give your thoughts on the MP current server offerings. Keen to find something ATAG-ish if that exists.

:salute:

Woop
Jul-21-2017, 09:49
I'd be interested in something for RoF too.

ATAG_Freya
Jul-21-2017, 10:15
Always remember thinking that if a group from the cliffs crew got on it would be hilarious! You should do 'Seas wednesday night front line tours or something HS. The rag-tags would be more than just a flying circus, maybe a flying dumpster fire - it would be entertainment no doubt.

Is New Wings servers still up and going? Those were good ones.. ChiefRedCloud still around? Could check the new wings web site, they have a good group of guys there and used to do a weekly flight.

ATAG_Highseas
Jul-21-2017, 10:44
Always remember thinking that if a group from the cliffs crew got on it would be hilarious! You should do 'Seas wednesday night front line tours or something HS. The rag-tags would be more than just a flying circus, maybe a flying dumpster fire - it would be entertainment no doubt.

Is New Wings servers still up and going? Those were good ones.. ChiefRedCloud still around? Could check the new wings web site, they have a good group of guys there and used to do a weekly flight.

I will check it out.

Looks like it has the potential to be a riot ! and with the Channel map is effectively the same playground as in Cliffs.... Kinda hoping its like flying Cliffs of Dover but in the aeronautical equivelent of a grandfather clock.

I will put some effort in and report back soon !

Pans
Jul-21-2017, 18:57
New Wings is still around and their servers still run. Check out their site at http://newwingstraining.org.

They're a good bunch of guys over there and very accommodating; I first cut my teeth with online flight sims a several years back on RoF with New Wings. I'd particularly recommend their Basic Training server to anyone who wants a safe place to learn to fly and fight in controlled circumstances. It has a nice obstacle course to practice your plane handling, static targets, multiple airfields so that you can access all aircraft types and most importantly a strict PVP policy so you shouldn't get molested if you just want to be left alone or to practice against AI. For those of us in the rest of the world it can be fairly quiet as most of the New Wings guys and regulars are North American. Still, if you get the chance to fly with the likes of NW-FourSpeed or NW-ScudWillms you'll have a good time... both are thoroughly excellent pilots and from my experience, happy to share their expertise.

ATAG_Highseas
Jul-21-2017, 20:36
They do indeed still exist.

im struggling a bit with this though.

I cant find a MP server with the channel map. New wings seems dedicate ot the original map. which is fine, but im kind of a seaside guy.

and in single player it seems there isnt an option to just get on and play with the incredible planes. im really hope im missing something. but it feels a bit like im getting all the fun toys out and then having my parent tanking all of themn away in case i break them.

im not sure how to turn off overbearing parent mode and just get on with it.

Chip in you RoF school masters !

ATAG_Highseas
Jul-21-2017, 21:11
This might be straying off topic a bit. But hey ! just roll with it... :D

Maybe I'm just too much of a Cloddite.

Just some Cloddy chap.... Used to just swanning up when I fancy and grabbing whichever plane i like, and taking off where ever i decided to and going where ever i fancy.

This Rof excursion has massively reinforced my Clodidity.

Don't get me wrong mind... I'm loving the WW1 stuff. The planes are absolutely wonderful. The effects are superb, visually, damage model of the planes, and of the pilot too !. The way the pilot progressively gets tunnel vision as the bullets suck the life from him. Gruesome.... very very effective. RoF has got tonnes to offer that i cant get anywhere else and its a keeper for sure.

but man.

Cliffs of Dover?... what we have today... the pre 4.5 pre 5.0 pre 5.1.1.2

Seriously... take a step away from this game for a week. (don't do that in real life though obviously !!)

I've been saying this on and off since I got infected with / addicted to Cliffs.

gonna say it again.

This is the best there is. I'm sure of it.

even if we stripped out the community. (perrish the thought) even if all the servers disappeared.

Cliffs would still be my go to flight sim.

I may be a bit biased as I do live in real life under this part of the sky.

but... even so...

Cliffs would still be my go to flight sim.

SIA_Sp00k
Jul-21-2017, 23:23
ROF was brilliant in its day, but its day is over. Its not the same sim it used to be. Unfortunate in the small niche world of WW1 flight sims. There may be a few dinosaurs hanging on in spider web filled server somewhere, but the meterorite that is 777 forced it into the Ice age and all of us with it with that russian project of theirs. There in lies the danger with 777. A talented group for sure, but prone to wander off and explore shiney things leaving a pile of old bones behind them.

Still!, I am sure our future collaboration with them will be a bright and happy one!

invictus84
Aug-08-2017, 01:47
Last time I was on NewWings a few months ago the Channel map was indeed in the map rotation....

RoF may be old...but I still fire it up for some multiplayer every now and then. :thumbsup:

ATAG_Highseas
Aug-08-2017, 03:20
Good to know!

I will keep my eyes pealed.

BOO
Aug-08-2017, 03:55
A talented group for sure, but prone to wander off and explore shiney things leaving a pile of old bones behind them.

Still!, I am sure our future collaboration with them will be a bright and happy one!

777 are the devs and not the producer. TFS's collaboration is with 1c. I also think 777's wandering days are over given the evidence of the work and commitment they have shown to the BOX series (32>64bit, DX9>DX11, V R capability, New Map due, half a dozen or more new aircraft and countless refinements to the game) in the past 12 months. Its very hard to fault the direction IL2 has taken under the leadership of Jason Williams (and that includes bringing CLoD back into something approaching the mainstream).

WW1 is a niche in a niche (as the tired old saying goes) and likely not profitable enough to give it priority time given the small team, deadlines and the need to keep the main income earner, in the shape of the IL2 name, relevant and popular. If WW1 was popular enough I'm pretty sure ROF would have found out given its potential greatness in the genre. That it hasn't would indicate the player base just isn't there. I have ROF and I think every aircraft ever made for it. Its really nice but it just doesn't chime with me like WW2 stuff. And I don't think I'm in the minority there.

As for the Russian adventure - its incredible but, as a MP user, it lacks something that I find Clod has. Whether this is down to the game or the MP server mission design or the community playing it I don't know. I just doesn't grab me like Clod does. Call it "Soul".

SIA_Sp00k
Aug-08-2017, 08:33
None the less Boo, ROF could have had a large stable contingient (it did in the day). The Red Baron series was an example where WW1 did very well. Even going back to Simguilds Flying Circus there was more than enough WW1 simmers. WW2 floods the market and yes, thats where the money is. IL2 has a large following, it makes sense from a company perspective. But the ROF crowd didnt leave because they were unhappy with the sim. Its a good sim. Many left after ROF went chasing after the Russian Bomber debacle. Again from their perspective, perhaps they saw something in it to attract the Baltic market. Private investor wants russian bombers, throws money at them and away they go. No harm, no foul at the time. The loyal player base understood the requirement to make money. Its that they didnt tell anyone they werent coming back. ROF is a great sim, like CloD, but its not perfect. Time dragged on until even the most fervent believer questioned the wisdom of staying with decreasing numbers. The main arena which was seemingly designed to attract the WW1 War Thunder varient got smaller and smaller. The Camels and Dr1's took precedent and aside from the odd brave F1 pilot, even I, the diehardest WW1 simmer to ever grace the known world became a bitter and twisted keyboard warrior who's destiny was now to forego canvas and string for the metal two winged beasts that permeated the market in genres that I had ventured into but never grabbed my soul.

Its not that they did it, its the way they did it. Still some clung on. Like a dag on the a55 of a sheep. Never letting go in the delusional hope someone would let them and all the other dags back in where they felt safe, at home, warm.

The Russian bomber venture was as expected, an uneventful excercise in futility, but the money was made. To those who considered themselves loyal, comfortable in the glued machines and now offering to pay if it meant their desired return, the whole thing stunk of more poor baby, cant feed my kids on your guys, to oooh......shiney! and the diversion they may have needed to try a new market.

Good luck to them I say, but the trust is gone. Tho to be fair, I am the distrustful cynical type to begin with :)

I got over the days of olde and threw my lot in with Clod. Its not the prettiest, may not even be the best. But its being made by the players, for the players. Like Warbirds. It has an X factor for that reason alone. I hope and god help me, trust, the TFS team will never forget that. While other projects may come their way with offers plentiful, I hope and trust the loyalty that is shown by the faithful will not be cast aside at some distant point in the future because they listened to the advice of those who have done it before at the expense of burning a handful of the pitiful loyal.

Like everyone else, I wait and see what the future holds. Its not TFS in the arrangement that gives me an element of mistrust. Nopthing may happen of course other than great things, of which we will all be overjoyed. Just keeping a mistrustful eye on one small part of Clods overall future.

BOO
Aug-09-2017, 10:12
I think you secretly liked it cos you didn't have to remember to lower your wheels :-)