PDA

View Full Version : Brand new pilot looking for instruction

Galkar
Jan-02-2015, 19:01
Hello everyone! I bought this game during the Steam winter sale and have been reading all about it for the last several days and it looks fantastic! I just picked up my X-55 yesterday so I am ready to start playing/learning this game, but would love some help. I have no real experience with realistic sims (though I do have a fair number of hours on gas-powered R/C planes for whatever that's worth). I've read Lewis's new players guide, set up all the hotkeys detailed there, and have watched a handful of videos. I can take off and land fairly reliably in a Tiger Moth and can take off and land SOMETIMES in a Spitfire. Anything beyond just the most basic operation is still very daunting to me, so I would love some personal instruction so I can more quickly get to real online action.

I have no plane preference other than that I figure I should learn on something that is generally considered to be relatively beginner-friendly. I'll be free all of this weekend (pacific time) if anyone is available to help. Thank you in advance!

ATAG_Lewis
Jan-02-2015, 20:04
Welcome to the community and forums Galkar....~S~

Well...Great news that you bought CLOD and found us...We do our best here to help the new players...

If you fancy trying to learn the Brit fighters then here is an easy setup guide that will get you competitive without the concern of engine management....I actually still use this setup today and works well....Pretty much set it up and then go hunting...

A basic and easy CEM for allied fighters for new players.

Easy Allied CEM for New Players (http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9111&p=100118#post100118)

Also...I'd recommend getting into the online server as soon as you can take off if that's where you eventually want to fly...Its a good environment to learn and there's not really any damage you can do in there as a new player....Pick an airstrip far from the front line ,there is always at least one and then get some alt.. then go hunting...Flying against real virtual pilots is always better to learn and there are manoeuvres you try out of pure desperation that will stay with you because they work....The stall for example..You'll see the full benefit of the stall mid fight which can help you out of tricky situations..something that AI don't tend to do....TeamSpeak is optional but you'll learn a whole lot faster with it even if you are quiet....Say hi and jump in to TS...

Any questions then you've come to the right place....

Good to have you with us buddy...and remember its all about the Fun!!!

...Lew...

Galkar
Jan-02-2015, 20:16
Thank you Lewis! (Somehow my brain morphed Lewis into Stewart the first time around, oops!) It's actually a pretty big relief to know that there's something of a "set and forget" state for some engines. I was worried that part of the learning curve would be a requirement to constantly tune your engine during flight/combat.

I'll be sure to hop on the online server tomorrow to see what I can do/learn, though I think having some one-on-one time with an instructor would still be helpful.

ATAG_Dave
Jan-03-2015, 06:48
Thank you Lewis! (Somehow my brain morphed Lewis into Stewart the first time around, oops!) It's actually a pretty big relief to know that there's something of a "set and forget" state for some engines. I was worried that part of the learning curve would be a requirement to constantly tune your engine during flight/combat.

I'll be sure to hop on the online server tomorrow to see what I can do/learn, though I think having some one-on-one time with an instructor would still be helpful.

You will find plenty of folks in the red TS channel who can help you get started in the spitfire. If you see me or Pantast online (sometimes in a different channel but dont let that put you off) then just give us a shout and well be happy to help you get started and fly with you.

Good luck and remember to have fun :)

ATAG_Lewis
Jan-03-2015, 11:38

Rgrt....When you go into the ATAG server...Pick the Spitfire Ia (100oct) or the Spit IIa....Both of these are pretty forgiving and as far as I know all the maps in rotation have them at the moment....You can pick the Hurricane I (Rotol 100oct) and use the same settings as in the 'Basic Set up' thread but the Hurri has a tendency to snap roll...so I would recommend the Spits as an easier one to fly....

I made the easy CEM for me and folks who wanted to get into the action quicker as a new player...As long as you don't spend more than a few minutes climbing steeply then you can pretty much do anything with that setup by leaving it alone...even dogfighting

If you look at the bottom left in this vid (in HD) you will see the easy CEM setup being used throughout...the only difference being is that for very short periods I will use 100 prop pitch if I want more speed for brief moments...But to prove that it can be done with this basic CEM...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtCoLqV4z-g&list=UUywl9Nymb9_-QesvXiD1l0g