PDA

View Full Version : Finding a suitable WW11 Server UK based

TWC_BikerJack
Jan-05-2015, 08:00
Hi all,

Recently been trying to fly the P51 on line (feel like a real noobie!!!) but having problems with FPS rates.

On most of the available servers I have tried either US or Europe based, the maximum FPS I can achieve is around 20 - just about flyable but drops significantly and causes horrible lag if any AAA or enemy planes appear.

Some servers only get to 3 or 4 FPS with the cockpit taking ages to load and blacked out. What's gong on? I possibly understand that the servers are not as "powerful" as the ATAG CLoD server (on which I can get a steady 40 FPS or higher with a Ping of around 130) but I am not sure what to look for. I have played with screen resolution and lowering in-game graphic content specs but doesn't ever make a significant difference.

Even with servers showing a Ping of less than 100 it is unplayable.

What's the best WW11 server for UK based players and how can I attempt to improve things? Any help or suggestions much appreciated.

Performance playing off-line is OK with my set up - not fantastic but certainly flyable..

Biker

ATAG_((dB))
Jan-05-2015, 09:49
Same here Biker, I think from the information's I gather here and there that DCS engine is not tune for multiplayer that much. I think that for long range missile engagement 30 FPS is fine but surely not for our type of dogfight. I've been told that with the DCS 2.0 (EDGE) that will improve. I hope that it is true.
For now I only do single player, I can't take online without being sick.

Here's a post I made on the subject

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14834&p=163293#post163293

TWC_BikerJack
Jan-05-2015, 10:00
Hmmmm!:(

Thanks for the response. I was on line with my Squad Leader Fatal yesterday and he was getting 90 fps (US based) plus while I only had 12 or 13! Sounds like a no go on-line for the time being.

S!

Biker

ATAG_((dB))
Jan-05-2015, 10:17
90 FPS really at 1080p res?

TWC_BikerJack
Jan-06-2015, 04:54
90 FPS really at 1080p res?

That's what I think he said?

Remon
Jan-06-2015, 08:51
You shouldn't be getting 12-13 fps with your machine. There's something wrong there.

But the biggest problem with DCS imho isn't the graphics engine, but the fact that we don't have dedicated servers. DCS 2.0 will change that.

ATAG_((dB))
Jan-06-2015, 11:21
But the biggest problem with DCS imho isn't the graphics engine, but the fact that we don't have dedicated servers. DCS 2.0 will change that.

What it is for you Remon? Just asking :)

Remon
Jan-06-2015, 12:31
What it is for you Remon? Just asking :)

Eh?

ATAG_((dB))
Jan-06-2015, 14:16
I just re read your answer and I got mine. You mean no dedicated servers is the main problem. :salute:

Remon
Jan-06-2015, 19:36
Ah, no worries then.

9./JG52 Ziegler
Jan-07-2015, 08:00
You shouldn't be getting 12-13 fps with your machine. There's something wrong there.

Agreed. The new Edge 2.0 and of course the WWII map that should appear later this year should allow much better MP on line experiances. I fly the Dogs of War servers but I am in the States with a ping in the 50s for these. It makes a big differance. Fingers crossed that Edge and DCS world 2.0 adresses this and the LOD problem in one swoop. :thumbsup:

Bounder!
Jan-07-2015, 22:12
The ACG WW2 server is UK based (Lincolnshire) & has P51s, Fw190s & 109s and placeholder AI bombers. Also has AI fighters if numbers are low and I'm told super awesome briefing slide(s) hand crafted by a rather smashing and handsome gentleman. The server is running a mod pack that should be activated (& deactivated) via JSGME (I'll post links at bottom of post). The mod pack helps with some of the problems whilst we wait for EDGE/DCS2.0 e.g. improved LODs for contact spotting, reduced gun-smoke & lower external flyby sounds to reduce sound radar etc. It is super easy to install and activate/deactive for use which is a requirement on joining as an integrity check takes place that checks players files against the servers to make sure no-one has any dodgy files (Mig21 FM for your 109 for example). Feel welcome to join ACGs teamspeak, details can be found via their website - I'm an ex member and they are a nice bunch, always welcoming.

ACG Mod Pack on ED Forums (link) (http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2272536&postcount=130)
JSGME guide for DCS (link) (http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=98607)
ACG mainpage (link) (http://www.aircombatgroup.co.uk/)

[edit] nvm

9./JG52 Ziegler
Jan-09-2015, 07:18
I've been looking for the server Bounder but it isn't always up? I have the mod in my Jones soft folder so hopefully we (9./JG52) can give it a go.

Bounder!
Jan-09-2015, 14:09
I've been looking for the server Bounder but it isn't always up? I have the mod in my Jones soft folder so hopefully we (9./JG52) can give it a go.

If the server isn't up or is having problems for any reason and I am online you can contact me via Steam (9./JG27 Bounder) but the best people to speak to are Nitrous (host) or DavidRed (mission builder and DCS extraordinaire). They can be caught via the ACG website. It's been pretty good and most of us in EU have found it very agreeable fps/lag compared with US based DCS servers and as I have a slight hand in things I'll obviously say give it a good try. It's all realtively new and we are working on expanding and adding misssions etc and feedback/suggestions via the ACG site would be very welcome. Hope to see you chaps online ~S~

ATAG_NakedSquirrel
Jan-09-2015, 22:27

DCS 2.0 with Edge will not add dedicated servers. They said they would work on Dedi server support after they finish EDGE.

What the upgrade is supposed to do is make it so the game runs one .exe instead of multiple instances for every aspect of the game. Currently, you will notice the game loads up a new instance when switching from MP to SP, to Game, ect. So one of the things the new version is supposed to do is integrate and streamline some of these features, along with adding an entirely new graphics rendering engine.

But I could be wrong. I haven't seen any detailed posts about EDGE in a long time. Last I heard it was coming out 2014

:recon:

Remon
Jan-10-2015, 04:36
You're right, from the DCS World 2 thread in the forums.

Direct X 11 support
Improved performance
Dynamic shadowing of the terrain and mountains
Improved weather
Improved lighting
Clipmap support for new maps
Higher object counts
Higher resolution ground terrain mesh and textures for new maps (between 1 and 64 meters per pixel depending on area of map and clipmap level)
More detailed tree models with collision for new maps
Better graphical effects
High resolution road textures for new maps
Ability for road signs and light signals for new maps
Additional ground clutter (rocks, cactuses, etc.) for new maps
Skeleton animation for infantry
Better use of multiple GPUs (CPU multi-threading is not being pursued as it will provide little if any gain)
Ability to create dedicated servers in the future
Unified front end and simulation .exe
Improved API sound support
Improved Oculus Rift support

Let's hope that future won't be that far away.

ATAG_Torian
Jan-10-2015, 05:10
Hi Biker,
I am in Australia and have flown on US and Russian servers with a ping of 300 to 450 with no major problems apart from the usual suspects like bullet rendering. Your rig should should be giving u much better performance than what u describe. There are a number of areas that could be causing fps drops so keep investigating. If u are using any EVGA utility for fps monitoring or nVidia Shadowplay, try disabling them.

TWC_BikerJack
Jan-12-2015, 09:44
Thanks all for your replies.

Bounder - I will certainly try the ACG server and your instructions re mod etc are very clear.:thumbsup:

Torian - I am starting to think that I have some sort of conflict on my system although CloD runs fine?? The only monitoring software I run when using DCS is Speedfan - just to monitor temperatures etc. DCS doesn't seem to like my Nvidia Inspector overclocking (program freezes or exits by itself) so I run the card on standard when in DCS.

I tried a program "repair" yesterday and the first time I went on line to the DoW WW11 server it was ok (ish). After a respawn I went back in and it took bloody ages to load the cockpit detail with very low FPS and laggy performance so I gave up. Perhaps I should try completely reinstalling the software?

I also believe my Sky broadband could be an issue (not fibre). There' s lots of negative posts on various forums about Sky's performance for online gamers. But why no good for DCS when CloD runs well?

I will persevere.

Inbetween messing about with DCS and then CloD and then DCS again, my flying and dogfighting has deteriorated at the same rate as my PC performance!!!!!!!:grrr:

Thanks again.

Biker

ATAG_((dB))
Jan-12-2015, 14:56
How does it perform on SP Biker?

TWC_BikerJack
Jan-12-2015, 16:22
Thanks for your interest Decibel.

SP Low settings - 22 FPS max.

SP Medium settings - 15-18 FPS max.

SP High settings - 12-13 FPS max.

No O/C on card.

If I up the base clock (+130) and memory clock (+400) DCS shows tearing low FPS and locks up.

I am testing at the moment and using the basic "intercept" quick flight mission as a test base.

It's not good is it? Should be getting more performance than this.

Bounder!
Jan-12-2015, 19:39
Hi BikerJack, yes you should really be getting a lot better than that. I'd suggest taking it to the ED forums and posting your in-game settings because something doesn't seem right.

TWC_BikerJack
Jan-14-2015, 04:10
Hi BikerJack, yes you should really be getting a lot better than that. I'd suggest taking it to the ED forums and posting your in-game settings because something doesn't seem right.

I don't know if this is a common issue but I found a potential conflict in Track IR since I named my Profile "DCS" but there is another Nvidia preset profile called "DCS" also. I renamed mine to "P51" and it seemed better.

Also, I am having trouble with Nvidia settings - it seems both DCS and CloD use a Launcher.exe program and I can't seem to set up different graphic card profiles for each - one seems to overwrite or confuse the other. Is there a way round this? According to the ED forums, for DCS, it is best to have most things set to "application controlled" and TSAA an MSAA turned off. I had a perfect graphic card set up for CloD but now that has all changed. I am losing track of changed settings:stunned:

The performance is slightly better at 25 -30 fps SP and 18-20 MP on the DOW server. I haven't tried ACG yet.

Finally, having looked at the ED forums they seem to highlight the fact that DCS doesn't like a multi core processor and they seem to suggest lowering the timing on RAM. I am hesitant to start playing around with the BIOS.

As usual, any advice much appreciated.

Thanks

Biker

ATAG_((dB))
Jan-14-2015, 04:59
I've manage to get 35 to 45 on SP texture high and the rest at low or off. I also think that some servers have performance issues DOW being one of them. Yesterday I've manage to go MP in another server ( I can't remember the name) and I only get a slight drop of FPS (30 to 35). It is still too low but I can live with that until EDGE

I did reduce my settings with the help of the DCS USER Manual, here is a copy in case you don't have.

Several graphics settings are available along the left side of the screen. Selection of a graphics option is done by using the drop down list for each item and selecting the desired setting.
TEXTURES
 LOW. Low resolution textures for terrain, objects, and cockpit.
 MEDIUM. Medium resolution textures for terrain, objects, and cockpit.
 HIGH. High resolution textures for terrain, objects, and cockpit.
SCENES
 LOW. Only basic buildings at airbases are rendered and no trees are rendered.
 MEDIUM. Air bases and large buildings in urban areas are rendered. Only trees in urban areas are rendered.
 HIGH. All buildings and trees are rendered.
CIV TRAFFIC
 OFF. No road and rail traffic.
 LOW, MEDIUM, HIGH. The density of road and rail traffic.
WATER
 LOW. Basic water without 3D surface.
 MEDIUM. Water has 3D surface and shelf.
 HIGH. Water has 3D surface, shelf and full reflections.
VISIB RANGE
 LOW. Ground objects such as buildings and trees are rendered at short range.
 MEDIUM. Ground objects such as buildings and trees are rendered at medium range.
 HIGH. Ground objects such as buildings and trees are rendered at long range.
HEAT BLUR
 ON. Heat blur from aircraft engine exhausts is visible when aircraft are at low speeds.
 OFF. Heat blur is not present.
SHADOWS
 LOW. All objects have planar shading.
 MEDIUM. The object that is the focus of view will have self-casting shadows and all other objects will have planar shadows.
 HIGH. The object that is the focus of view will have soft shadows and all other objects will have planar shadows.
RESOLUTION. Select the resolution that the game will be played in. Note that the Aspect radio will automatically be set to best match the selected resolution. For users with a multi-monitor setup, the total resolution can be entered manually.
ASPECT. The aspect ratio of the display will automatically be set to the current Resolution, but it may also be entered manually.
MONITORS. The game allows you to output video to multiple monitors. Four default configurations are provided automatically:
 1 Screen. All video will be displayed on a single monitor (default).
 3 Screen. Video will be split equally over three monitors.
 Camera + RMFCD. Video will be split between 2 monitors - one for the main camera and one for the right MFCD.
 MFCD. Video will be split between 3 monitors - one for the main camera, one for the left MFCD and one for the right MFCD.
To customize these configurations or create your own new configurations, navigate to \Config\MonitorSetup. Each configuration is defined by a separate lua file.
RES. OF COCKPIT DISPLAYS. Set the resolution of cockpit displays such as mirrors, targeting video indicators, multifunction displays, moving maps, etc. Note that higher resolution settings can negatively impact the smoothness of game play.
MSAA. Select the antialiasing level for game picture.
HDR. Sets the option for High Dynamic Range, which enables some special visual effects (such as sun glare and color bloom).
 OFF. HDR effects are disabled.
 COLD COLORS. HDR effects are at low intensity.
 NORMAL. HDR effects are at medium intensity.
 WARM COLORS. HDR effects are at high intensity.

Note: If you wish to increase frame rates, the most import graphics settings to adjust lower are SCENES, VISIB RANGE, WATER, SHADOWS, MSAA, and HDR.
Auxiliary Settings

CLUTTER/BUSHES. This slider adjusts the range from the camera at which grass/bushes are rendered on the ground.
TREES VISIBILITY. This slider adjusts the range from the camera to which 3D tree rendering extends.
PRELOAD RADIUS. Radius of the preloaded terrain around user position in meters. A large setting can decrease hard disk swapping but it requires more system RAM.
DISABLE AERO INTERFACE. This option turns off the Windows Aero Interface, and this may provides a performance increase for some PCs.

TREE SHADOWS. Check this box to enable trees shadows. Enabling tree shadows may reduce PC performance.
VSYNC. Check this box to enable frame rate vertical synchronization to your monitor's refresh rate.
FULL SCREEN. Check this box if you wish the game to fill up the entire screen. When full screen is unchecked, the game will run in windowed mode. If your desktop resolution is greater than your game resolution and you do not have this box selected, then the game window will be smaller than the monitor's display.
COCKPIT SHADOWS. Check this box to enable dynamic cockpit shadows. Note, this can have a considerable impact on frame rates.
TSSAA. Check this box to enable antialiasing of transparent objects (trees, fences, etc.).

9./JG52 Ziegler
Jan-14-2015, 06:47
Nice post Decibel dB.:thumbsup::salute:

TWC_BikerJack
Jan-14-2015, 07:20
Thanks DB but I have read the manual and played around with all sorts of settings in game. Obviously, on LOW it runs faster but you can't see a bloody thing rendered on the ground until you crash into it!!!!:)

ATAG_((dB))
Jan-15-2015, 23:44
Lol even on medium or high you can't see shit anyways lol. It is not like CloD for sure
o7

ATAG_((dB))
Jan-15-2015, 23:45
Merci Ziegler ;)

TWC_BikerJack
Jan-19-2015, 03:33
Over the weekend I messed about with PC and game settings and managed to achieve 30fps (which I think is closer to normality) in both SP and on the ACG server.

Only after a complete reinstall of DCS World, all updates and the P51 module.

I had a chat on TS with some of the other UK based DCS users and they were equally flummoxed as to why my system was achieving such bad results! General consensus was that DCS doesn't like AMD processors.

No O/C on graphics card, game settings mostly medium and using all cores on the processor - rather than restricting it to just two using Process Lasso. 4GHz processor.

Get a ping of about 90 on ACG WW11 server and managed to fly around for a while but the FPS still dropped away to 3 or 4 on occasion - not good when right on the six of an FW190!

I guess that's the best I can hope for.

Thanks for all your input.:thumbsup:

Biker

ATAG_((dB))
Jan-19-2015, 04:07
I had a chat on TS with some of the other UK based DCS users and they were equally flummoxed as to why my system was achieving such bad results! General consensus was that DCS doesn't like AMD processors.

No O/C on graphics card, game settings mostly medium and using all cores on the processor - rather than restricting it to just two using Process Lasso. 4GHz processor.

Get a ping of about 90 on ACG WW11 server and managed to fly around for a while but the FPS still dropped away to 3 or 4 on occasion - not good when right on the six of an FW190!

Biker

Nor AMD GPU, I am in the same boat I can't wait for EDGE