PDA

View Full Version : A Sigh for a Merlin

ATAG_Snapper
Apr-30-2012, 07:49
With apologies to author Alex Henshaw for stealing the title of his excellent book. But when you hear the flyby sound in this DCS P51D beta, it'll be enough to make you weep! :blush!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFYRKKffkF8

ChiefRedCloud
Apr-30-2012, 17:54
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFYRKKffkF8

Nice ... thanks :hpyclp:

Peaveywolf
Apr-30-2012, 18:53
Are there gonna be ww2 campaigns for this sim. From what I read there isn't gonna be an awful lot for it to fight.

Peaveywolf
Apr-30-2012, 19:02
Hmm, just read the faq. Not for me. It looks like a sim only in a limited area, not real world by the looks of it. No ww2 scenerio's at all. No campaigns. It's gonna be a sandbox by the look of it.

ATAG_Snapper
May-01-2012, 08:40
As it stands right now I have to agree, Peaveywolf. I've been reading some interesting speculation over at SimHQ about it - hopefully it'll develop into something a lot more interesting re other aircraft, maps, campaigns, etc etc.

Don't know if it has the complexity and detail of A2A's Wings of Power 3 Spitfire, but it does have guns :thumbsup: (and bombs, too, I believe). It took the best part of yesterday to download all five files which I'll install today. If they install OK (ie. not a corrupted download), I think I'll spring for the 40 bucks to suss it out. But I do this only as a personal sacrifice for furthering the knowledge of my fellow ATAG Forum members. :Grin:

ATAG_Snapper
May-02-2012, 13:10
What I posted over at SimHQ:

Lengthy downloads but everything installed smoothly with no issues. Initial impressions:

Runs extremely well on my system at 1920 x 1080 native resolution and all details turned up.
Cockpit looks very good, seems to be as detailed as A2A's WPO3 Spitfire cockpit.
All peripherals recognized in Controls section (Warthog HOTAS needed its TARGET software running to be recognized)
TrackIR 5 works perfectly
Instructional Missions very good -- especially start up
Take off is difficult --lots of torque
Landing is difficult -- lousy pilot
1 vs 1 dogfight is fun if you don't mind losing
Terrain is very good, if drab
Water looks good - not as good as CoD IMHO; better than FSX with REX plug in
Frame rates good for the limited play I've done; some slowdown at zero alt flying sometimes; other times very smooth. Need to suss out why.
Explosions look good
Tires are orange LOL (Yeah, I know, beta version)

Worth forty bucks? Yes!

Looking forward to final (retail) version and hopefully campaigns and other a/c & theatres of operations.