PDA

View Full Version : Help with taking off in a Hurri

Pariah Jones
Jan-13-2015, 15:20
See what I did there. :D

Anyway, serious now. I'm new to flight sims and am just trying to get the Hurricane airbourne but am struggling. I can get to the runway okay but when rolling down it I'm constantly fighting it's desire to turn left and this is resulting in me zig zagging my way down the runway. That might be fine for dancing but not so in a plane. Eventually I roll or bounce and bits fall off. :(

I've watched vids but to no avail. Are there any instructors on here able to give me a little or their time? I don't want to try another plane as I really like the Hurricane as I feel it's a bit of an underdog and that suits me.

I have Teamspeak. I'm about this evening (GMT) and Thursday evening.

Neal.

ATAG_Dave
Jan-13-2015, 15:38
See what I did there. :D

Anyway, serious now. I'm new to flight sims and am just trying to get the Hurricane airbourne but am struggling. I can get to the runway okay but when rolling down it I'm constantly fighting it's desire to turn left and this is resulting in me zig zagging my way down the runway. That might be fine for dancing but not so in a plane. Eventually I roll or bounce and bits fall off. :(

I've watched vids but to no avail. Are there any instructors on here able to give me a little or their time? I don't want to try another plane as I really like the Hurricane as I feel it's a bit of an underdog and that suits me.

I have Teamspeak. I'm about this evening (GMT) and Thursday evening.

Neal.

Neal I should be on TS with ATAG_Pantast a bit later on so if you see us (not always in main channel) then give us a shout. Im sure plenty of folks will be happy to help if not.

A general tip when learning to take off that helped me was to feed the throttle in progressively - reduces torue / propwash effects so it will swing less and so less to counter - I think I found goin 40% or so, letting the speed build to about 60mph then 70%, then 100% . Another point is to make your rudder inputs brief, early and light - loads of corrective rudder one way normally results in you over correcting then over correcting the other way and so on

:salute:

Pariah Jones
Jan-13-2015, 15:41
Cool. I'll try what you suggest and hopefully get up in the air.

I will chat to you later on Teamspeak even if it's just to say I got there.

Roblex
Jan-13-2015, 15:44
Dave is right, try to feed the power in gradually while also gradually applying more and more right rudder. Practice on a large grass field where it does not matter if you are not going straight. Wilmington might work.

Hazza
Jan-13-2015, 15:52
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZrmf4h2Y94

Pariah,

I found the link above on Youtube, so try watching this as it explains about using a little flap as well.

Regards

will PM this to you as well.

Pariah Jones
Jan-13-2015, 17:19
I managed to take off and flew for a bit and then crashed due to me fiddling about with the rudder trim. I was so chuffed as I was briefly at one with the birds.

Then tried again and this time couldn't get enough speed up before the rad blew. Man this is difficult.

I went to go onto the multiplayer server but the only airfields where all in the combat zone and I didn't fancy getting shot at whilst trying to take off or crash into someone else. So single player training for now.

ATAG_Dave
Jan-13-2015, 18:17
I managed to take off and flew for a bit and then crashed due to me fiddling about with the rudder trim. I was so chuffed as I was briefly at one with the birds.

Then tried again and this time couldn't get enough speed up before the rad blew. Man this is difficult.

I went to go onto the multiplayer server but the only airfields where all in the combat zone and I didn't fancy getting shot at whilst trying to take off or crash into someone else. So single player training for now.

Make sure your rad is fully open for take off :thumbsup: keep at it, its worth the effort :)

Pariah Jones
Jan-14-2015, 07:52
Cheers Dave, I certainly will keep at it. The short time I was in the air was pure elation. An amazing feeling and I felt I had earned it.

I saw you on Teamspeak but didn't want to disturb you in case you were mid combat.

Baffin
Jan-14-2015, 11:43
Here are some RAF approved techniques that apply to both Spitfires and Hurricanes.

Find a takeoff position on the field where you can point the airplane directly into the wind (Upwind). If the plane rolls straight by itself with power idle, then you're heading directly upwind.

One helpful takeoff roll technique is, when lined up on the runway, select a cloud, spot or other visual reference in the gun sight screen and work hard at keeping it in one spot with rudder only during the takeoff roll. Avoid looking left or right at ground objects because you will likely cause a "pilot induced Oscillation" (PIO). If the heading starts wildly oscillating left and right, close the throttle, apply back stick pressure, stop, (Abort) then try again.

Also, try completely releasing the stick during takeoff roll until the nose drops on it's own. With 5-8 degrees of Aircraft Nose down trim (AND), the nose will lower itself as the airspeed begins to register on the indicator around 50-60 MPH. Common sense will dictate a gentle application of ailerons to keep the wings level if required.

Don't do anything with the elevator until 90 MPH, then, with back pressure, put the base of the center windscreen even with the horizon (Rotate), and hold it there until the gear up light comes on after retraction. Then set 2850 RPM, center the gun sight supports on the horizon, and accelerate to climb speed. Leave the radiator fully open until you have this technique learned like a habit.

Rule #1: Don't continue a bad takeoff. All of us occasionally must abort and start over. It does not challenge your manhood to show good judgement by aborting... crashing on takeoff does. :lecture:

ATAG_Dave
Jan-14-2015, 13:50
Cheers Dave, I certainly will keep at it. The short time I was in the air was pure elation. An amazing feeling and I felt I had earned it.

I saw you on Teamspeak but didn't want to disturb you in case you were mid combat.

:thumbsup: TS invitation stands - just jump in and say hello don't worry about disturbing. Optional of course :salute:

PanTast
Jan-14-2015, 13:55
Hey P J.
You can talk to us anytime. We will tell you if its a really bad moment, but normally we are available :)

Pariah Jones
Jan-14-2015, 15:33
Hey P J.
You can talk to us anytime. We will tell you if its a really bad moment, but normally we are available :)

Will do. It's my innate politeness that keeps telling me not to bother people. :D

ATAG_Lewis
Jan-14-2015, 19:16
I use full opposite aileron....seems to work...experiment with it...

klu.peete
Jan-15-2015, 03:58
I had the same problem...at first.. then i found out that i had to set the nose in to the wind.. (look at the windsack) i set the bloks let the engine go 75% then romove the bloks or brakes. .. after the first meters.. the plane is seeking but when you geth speed it will fly... if you do it garefully as the pilots above here say..
Also look for the yelow marker bords.. they hive the runway position and take of direction.!!

klu.peete
Jan-15-2015, 03:59
O after installing a bigggg... videocart i had it far more easy. ...!!!!!!

Pariah Jones
Jan-16-2015, 11:22
Got some really good help last night from Teepee and Mauf of ACG's 111 squadron.

Getting airbourne is no longer an issue. Landing is the next hurdle.

Otyg
Jan-16-2015, 14:41
Got some really good help last night from Teepee and Mauf of ACG's 111 squadron.

Getting airbourne is no longer an issue. Landing is the next hurdle.

Good job!

Landing, even a stone can land. Just a matter of how nice you want your landing to look.

klu.peete
Jan-17-2015, 03:05
Landing is more easy in a hurricane... it has a wide undercarriage so youre plane is more solid on the ground then a spit..or me109.. i am rusty on the hurri now.. but flew it for 6 years in cfs1. It was the easyest plane and one of the best turners... i am a gliderpilot also ...(or i was for 5 years) so landing thats my second name.. lol. Ok.
1. when you have the runway in sight ... slow down.. til it flys nice .
2.trim it till youre stik is free at the good speed for landing.. (make a long distance landing then its far easier.)
3.gear down. (Field in sight on final is gear down) set propspeed to high.
4.flaps 20%
5. Keep the nose on the runway.. trim it.. and keep speed with trotle.
6. When just above the ground you pull it straid gently.. gas off .. keep gently pulling the stick and youre down... keep the stick in youre belly !! Gently brake.. or you flip over. .

Yea you done it (counting on it) greets. Gen Maj KLu Peete.

Roblex
Jan-17-2015, 03:27
i am a gliderpilot also ...(or i was for 5 years) so landing thats my second name.. lol. Ok.. when you have the runway in sight ... slow down.. til it flys nice ..trim it till youre stik is free at the good speed for landing.. make a long distance landing then its far easier.

I am/was a glider pilot as well but actually the RAF found that glider pilots took longer to teach than complete novices because we had to 'unlearn' certain things and landing is one of them. We are used to turning finals at 45 degrees bank barely 500ft from the threshold at 300ft then diving in with full airbrakes/spoilers/flaps and levelling at the last minute. The concept of being on finals for more than 10 seconds is foreign to us and we don't even know what a base leg is :laugh:

Pariah, I am still a bit 'bouncy' at times when landing but I always console myself with one fact. Major 'Mick' Mannock was one of the best Allied pilots of WW2. He had 2 Military Crosses, 3 DSOs and a VC as well as 61 official kills that his squadron reckon should have been 73 due to his habit of giving his kill credit to new pilots to help their moral. The reason I bring this up? Right to the end Mick Mannock never got the hang of soft landings and broke aircraft on a regular basis :D

klu.peete
Jan-17-2015, 03:36
A we call that a not flyhand... a elafant in the porsolijn closet!!

We alwaist geth jumped by the Mustangs in our me262 's at landings.. by the reds.. ggrrrr. We nots likes. Sthatss... so war is on.. (again)
[emoji372] trough this on youre field..

[emoji61] Klu peete.

Avronut
Jan-17-2015, 06:40
Keep at it! It's such a steep learning curve but a great feeling when you achieve something. May I add my name to the list of TS pilots who are willing to help. Just give me a shout if you want some help or a wingman. :salute:

Roblex
Jan-17-2015, 11:24
Lol Otyg. I have only just noticed that your signature picture was animated when an arm came out of the window. Good one :-)

klu.peete
Jan-20-2015, 07:18
Smoking in the pit.. lol... o o o... a you will be dead in a few missions anyway.. [emoji12]

Otyg
Jan-20-2015, 10:21
Lol Otyg. I have only just noticed that your signature picture was animated when an arm came out of the window. Good one :-)

Haha, yea. That's Lewis good work, i need to give him credit! Did you see the one Pantast made for me? i only had it on for a few days.

http://www.pantast.de/ATAG/ATAG_Otyg.PNG

:thumbsup:

Edit: update your Diary please :D