PDA

View Full Version : Norton reports virus when installing Team Fusion patch 4

Mark Barker
Jan-22-2015, 15:46
Hello,

Encouraged by the helpful "how to" videos I finally took the plunge to download the updates and try this version of the game. I used the separate versions of each update as the "all mods together" file would not come through properly.

All went well until trying to install patch 4 as the mod installer file was missing from the extracted files.

Clicking on the specific file and trying to force extract triggered a Trojan virus warning from Norton. I am running Windows 7 and have obviously not proceeded past this point.

Am I alone in this ? Is there another location to download patch 4 from ?

Many thanks, and apologies for having to ask a question before I even get going !

Mark Barker
UK

ATAG_Colander
Jan-22-2015, 15:58
Hi Mark,

Is a known issue. Some antivirus are reporting a false positive with that installer.
The solution is to disable the AV, install the patch and re-enable the AV.

ATAG_Lewis
Jan-22-2015, 19:41
and...

Welcome to the community and forums Mark Barker ...~S~

Checkout the 'Beginners Guide'...for info and tips...It will save you a heap of time in getting up to scratch.....and its a really fun learning curve anyway..

Beginners Guide Link Here (http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5058&p=52711)

Also try youtube for startup procedures on all the aircraft...

Any questions then you've come to the right place....

Good to have you with us buddy...and remember its all about the Fun!!!

...Lew...

ATAG_Septic
Jan-23-2015, 07:39
Welcome to the game and forum Mark old chap.

There's no need for apologies about asking questions here.

Septic.

Mark Barker
Jan-24-2015, 11:06
Many thanks for the responses.

It was the excellent beginners guide and You Tube support that encouraged me to dive in.

As my machine is the family PC used for a multitude of tasks I must admit to being very nervous about switching the Anti-Virus off !

Is there a version of the patch that does not ring the alarm bells ? :recon:

Thanks !

Mark Barker

ATAG_Snapper
Jan-24-2015, 11:16
Hi Mark, and welcome to the forum. :salute:

I wonder if if there is not a way to have Norton "allow" this specific update into your system. I don't use Norton, but I use Windows Defender, Windows Firewall, and Malwarebytes for protection. All three have provision to allow/ignore specific apps/utilities that otherwise trigger a blocking response. My PC remains fully protected from all other triggers.

DUI
Jan-24-2015, 11:46
Not sure if still relevant with the auto updater to come soon (fingers crossed): Would it work to report the TF 4.0 to the anti-virus developers as false positive?

Here is some more information on this topic (http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/how-report-malware-or-false-positives-multiple-antivirus-vendors.htm) and a list of popular software developers.

gombrowitch
Jan-28-2015, 06:00
Avira also reports virus. I disabled it and... i had crashes after that, so i scanned system for viruses and deleted it. PC is now stable, but i cant join ATAG server. It will be some installer in all-in-one file?

Continu0
Jan-28-2015, 06:05
Avira also reports virus. I disabled it and... i had crashes after that, so i scanned system for viruses and deleted it. PC is now stable, but i cant join ATAG server. It will be some installer in all-in-one file?

There is an auto-updater on the way (no release date announced, but I guess it will be months...). But you have to install 4.0 to join Servers. The Virus-Alarm is a false positive, false alarm. Just tell Avira to ignore the TF-Patch. There is no danger in installing it!

ATAG_Lewis
Jan-28-2015, 06:59
Mark...If you are still worried about disabling Norton while you install this patch...then why not turn off your internet at the same time as turning Norton off...That way at least you know that while your PC is unprotectected you are not on the internet...

I'm sure we all understand why you are doubtfull, however no one has reported an actual virus from this patch..but we have many who have experienced a false positive.....As far as I know Norton doesn't know what it is so starts stressing and ringing alarm bells when there is no need...

It would be a real shame if this small thing stops anyone from playing this brilliant sim....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKsFYOU9G4E

Stormrider
Jan-28-2015, 07:06
With most antivirus software you can choose what action it must take.You let it be deleted directly or sent to quarantaine.If you choose to sent it to quarantaine you can decide what must be done, delete or restore it back and don't bother it anymore.Ofcourse you must only do it when you are 100% sure thet it is not a virus.Iam convinced that the version downloadable on our forum is 100% virus free.

gombrowitch
Jan-29-2015, 17:03
So why i had PC crashes after ignoring Avira? Also installing all these patches is pain in ass.

ATAG_Colander
Jan-29-2015, 18:42
So why i had PC crashes after ignoring Avira? Also installing all these patches is pain in ass.

Hi gombrowitch,

I don't know of any virus that crashes the PC. Is against what a virus is supposed to do, which is remain hidden and unnoticed.
Chances are there's something else going on.

Questions:
1.- Does your PC crash all the time or only when playing CloD?
2.- How does it crash? do you get a blue screen with messages?

If 1&2 there's a strong possibility that there's an issue related to DirectX. Another possibility is that the power supply is not strong enough and when the video card tries to suck more power, the computer can't handle it and shuts down/crashes.

RAF74_Buzzsaw
Jan-29-2015, 21:22

Your PC is crashing for some other reason than this false positive 'virus'.

We have had over 5,000 downloads of the patches... no one has reported any issues with viruses.

GunSlingerAUS
Feb-01-2015, 04:13
and...

Welcome to the community and forums Mark Barker ...~S~

Checkout the 'Beginners Guide'...for info and tips...It will save you a heap of time in getting up to scratch.....and its a really fun learning curve anyway..

Beginners Guide Link Here (http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5058&p=52711)
...Lew...

Hey Lew, can I suggest you update the beginner's installation guide with information about the false-AV trigger of the patch? I too had this same issue, and it took me about 4 hours of googling to figure it out - a line in your guide about this would help so many players.

Zisi
Feb-02-2015, 02:31

Well... you have Norton installed, so theres one highly plausible reason why your computer may be crashing. AV does not belong on a gaming computer. However if you must have AV, then use most anything other than McAfee or Norton. Vipre is one of the better ones I would recommend, but again, AV really has no place on a gaming computer.

gombrowitch
Feb-04-2015, 13:00
I dont use Norton. I even wrote what im using. PC wasnt crashing before that virus (well, rarely with bluescreen about any new hardware or software, bla, bla). Power supply is ok and have great margin.