PDA

View Full Version : Question for the musicians amongst us

ATAG_Bliss
May-05-2012, 02:16
I'm getting older I guess, and have been playing my old tried and true yamerhammer acoustic and wanted to get a bit more serious, possibly do a bit of recording.

I've been looking at getting a Taylor 814ce and was wondering if anyone had ever played any Taylor acoustics? Even though I'd hardly ever "plug in", I feel the natural sound of the Taylor, especially the bright mids / highs just make their guitars the best sounding "un-plugged" acoustics I've ever heard. I'd probably be recording with a couple positional mics, not using the built in electronics.

Anyone have any thoughts on Taylors? I know they are renowned for their playability, but that sound is just amazing (to my ears anyhow!)

I picked up a Martin the other day (D-28), which happens to be one of their flag ship dreds and it sounded like playing through a 55 gallon drum. Quite frankly, I almost puked! :) For the Martin purist, I'm sure it ages well and eventually sounds what I would consider good, but brand new it was embarrassing. Plug it in and that aura system is amazing, but I'm after the natural sound. All the research I've done and you have your Taylor fanboys and the Martin fanboys (just like anything else!) But I couldn't get over how awful every Martin I picked up sounded. My $500 yammer sounded 10x better etc.

I figure I'm getting around 2k / month just in per diem so I might as well be an idiot and buy something I'll have for the rest of my life :Grin:

Any feed back is appreciated! Here's an 814ce in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhAWSjsVi7s

Dutch
May-05-2012, 07:41
Anyone have any thoughts on Taylors?

A mate of mine bought a Taylor. He was so proud of it he brought it to an 'open mike' jam night type affair in a local pub to show it off. Someone knocked another guitar over and the headstock went straight through the side of the Taylor like it was so much Balsawood. Consequently, my opinion is that part of the tone of Taylor guitars is due to the very thin but great quality woods they use.

Martin D28 - My $500 yammer sounded 10x better.

This sums up my approach to all guitars. Expensive doesn't necessarily mean better tonal quality. Besides, new properly stretched strings on a cheap guitar sound infinitely better than old dull strings on a Ј2000 guitar.

Also, 'beauty is in the eye (or ears) of the beholder', so tonal preference is very much a personal thing.

You pays your money and you makes your choice.

That was helpful, wasn't it?! :Grin:

III./ZG76_Keller
May-05-2012, 10:30
I'm not an acoustic guitar guy but Taylors are great guitars. When it comes to a guitar it's not about the pricetag though, it's about how well it plays for you and how it sounds to you. As musicians we always forget the fact that 95% of the population couldn't tell the difference between a high end guitar and a Walmart special. In the end the choice is yours.

ATAG_Knuckles
May-05-2012, 10:36
Although I'm not much of an "acoustic" player, I am Classically trained (nylon string) then I take that style and use it on electric. i have a very low end Fender Acoustic which works for me,

However I have worked with many very accomplished acoustic players, 90% use Taylor (cripes look at the price) all sound wonderful, much better IMHO than the few Martins I have worked with.

As for recording I always opt for a mic instead of direct. Actually the mic shown in the video is the exact one I use (Sennheiser)

If you ever decide to purchase a "home recording" set up we can send files back and forth and really make some great sounding tunes

Peaveywolf
May-05-2012, 11:02
I am also an Electric player, but if there was one acoustic I would have it is a Taylor. I don't like Martin guitars either myself. Something stuffy about them. I have a Yamaha acoustic also

Peaveywolf
May-05-2012, 11:15
What sorta stuff are you thinking of recording, what program you gonna use.

ATAG_Knuckles
May-05-2012, 13:00
What sorta stuff are you thinking of recording, what program you gonna use.

Peavy do you have any home recording stuff. Presently I use "Pro Tools"

Peaveywolf
May-05-2012, 18:23
Yep, I use Logic Studio 9, with various plug ins including Amplitube 3, Guitar Rig and other amp modellers, plus a Zak Wylde OD Pedal to give the whole proceedings a bit more of an organic feel.

ATAG_Knuckles
May-05-2012, 18:49
Do you know what format you recorded files are, most are compatible with pro-tools

Peaveywolf
May-05-2012, 19:24
Well I would normally just mix it down to a wave format, then import it at the other end

ATAG_Knuckles
May-05-2012, 19:55
Thats the most common: Pro Tools by default if aiff. or aif. something like that but can be converted to wav. Just to record with a group called "Soul Objective" everybody lived in different state. Really was having a blast but the guitar/writer one day just e-mailed everyone and said he was gonna shelf the project for a while. never heard back. Was doing progressive rock/fusion:

Anybody interested in a recording project I can certainly lend Guitar/Bass/Keyboards/Pedal Steel. Unfortunately I never acquired much of a writing skill, but can add to whatever is writen.

Peaveywolf
May-05-2012, 20:07
I play guitar, bass, sing a bit, not melodic mind ;) Will post a link to my stuff I have recorded. Logic Studio uses Aiff also.
https://www.facebook.com/TheDarkConceptual

Peaveywolf
May-06-2012, 10:17
"guitar/writer one day just e-mailed everyone and said he was gonna shelf the project for a while"

Sounds like he nicked your idea's to me ;)

ATAG_Knuckles
May-06-2012, 17:30
"guitar/writer one day just e-mailed everyone and said he was gonna shelf the project for a while"

Sounds like he nicked your idea's to me ;)

He was one of those "Musical Geniuses". I've worked with them before, very temperamental and moody, very demanding as well. He did all the writing. He actually wrote the same way "Dream THeater" does, hit the record button and play. His music was absolutely wonderful. We recorded one 12 minute piece, he sent about 3 or 4 minutes at a time, I did the bass, one section, I had to practice it for three days in order to be able to hit the record button. I miss that kind of musical work.

Peaveywolf
May-06-2012, 19:03
Heh, good ol' Dream Theater, I have all their albums on my iPod, and still not managed to listen to one album all the way through

ATAG_Knuckles
May-06-2012, 19:19
I understand. Dream Theater is one where you listen to the album about 6 or 7 times then put it away for about four months, then do it all over again. Alot of great melodies but it really does take a while to be able to pull them all out.