PDA

View Full Version : Basic differences between the Spit and the Hurricane?

Blue-lph
Jan-30-2015, 01:24
Hi guys,

I recently took up a Hurricane for a brief spin and found it quite difficult to down an He-111. I loaded up with amour piercing and incendiaries but had little luck. When trying out the Spit earlier I downed one right away...pretty much same armament. Was I just lucky?

Thanks

ps: i was on the Leader Farm server for practice.

RAF74_Buzzsaw
Jan-30-2015, 01:29
Hi guys,

I recently took up a Hurricane for a brief spin and found it quite difficult to down an He-111. I loaded up with amour piercing and incendiaries but had little luck. When trying out the Spit earlier I downed one right away...pretty much same armament. Was I just lucky?

Thanks

ps: i was on the Leader Farm server for practice.

Both have the same number of guns, but the Hurricane's guns are more closely grouped, providing a more effective pattern of hits... plus the pilot's view over the nose is better, easier to judge deflection and see the opponent... overall it is actually easier to shoot down enemy bomber aircraft with the Hurricane.

So, yes, you were just lucky/unlucky to get the kill with the Spit and not the Hurricane.

Against fighters... the Spitfire's advantages in speed make it a better choice.

Roblex
Jan-30-2015, 04:46
Over time you will see that luck can have a big effect. I have had bombers burst into flames from a frustrated half second burst well outside convergence range and I have seen bombers fly on with barely a scratch after I have poured half my ammo belt into an engine at convergence :D

The hurricane is a nice plane. Compared to the Spit it is very stable during the attack, it is easier to take-off and land, it takes more punishment. It climbs nicely and you can easily find yourself over 30,000ft without trying and still able to maneuver well where a Spit 1A would be struggling just to do gentle turns. As Buzzsaw said, you should find most of the time that once you line up on a 109 or bomber near convergence the guns will do more damage even with the same loadout.

Where it loses out to the spit is general nimbleness so it is not so easy to throw around in all directions but it is very good at sustained tight turns so if a 109 tries to stay on your tail instead of hit & run then he will regret it. It also loses out on top speed which can be frustrating when chasing a JU88 or a fleeing 109. You might eventually catch the JU88 but the 109 will escape. Lastly it does not have as good a rear view as the spit which can be a problem when there are 109s nearby (though the 109s is equally bad so it depends who sees whom first and gets in their blind spot :D )

ATAG_Lewis
Jan-30-2015, 05:30
As far as I know the Hurricane had a more stable gun platform meaning there was less shake when firing...Buzz should correct me if I'm wrong on that one...Also the Hurricane spins more easily and is slower than the Spit but could out turn both the Spit and 109...

Some of the vets in CLOD do very well in the Hurri...and use it more than the Spit in some cases

SorcererDave
Jan-30-2015, 06:57
Most of the basic differences seem to have been covered by these chaps. The main advantages in combat are the better view over the nose, more stable aiming, tighter grouping of guns, and its turning ability. If you're in a situation where you're being attacked by multiple 109s and you're constantly evading, riding the edge of your stall speed, the Hurricane will keep you alive longer than the Spit in my experience.

Its big disadvantages (and ONLY disadvantages, in my opinion) are its lower top speed and significantly lower climb rate and acceleration. You will almost always lose a vertical battle in the Hurri, so you pretty much always have to enter the fight with an altitude advantage to be effective. The bad rear visibility is also a problem, but opening your canopy usually helps a great deal, plus in the near future Team Fusion are going to be adding functional rear-view mirrors too.

In real life of course, it was notably more durable than the Spitfire, and in some cases could take obscene punishment and still make it back to base. In the game at present though that's not really the case. Be very wary of getting hit in the wings when flying the Hurricane, because quite often a single 20mm hit will be enough to rip one clean off. This is a far more rare occurrence in the Spit (hence you see a lot of 109 jocks complaining about the Spitfire's "concrete wings"), and it has to be said actually, that the majority of the times I've been forced to bail in the Hurricane were precisely because I lost a wing. It's my hope that the chaps at Team Fusion will be looking into this for TF 5.0 however, so don't let it put you off too much. After all it's probably best you don't get shot in the first place, right? :P

Roblex
Jan-30-2015, 16:53
Its big disadvantages (and ONLY disadvantages, in my opinion) are its lower top speed and significantly lower climb rate and acceleration. You will almost always lose a vertical battle in the Hurri, so you pretty much always have to enter the fight with an altitude advantage to be effective.

Yes, when I said the hurricane climbs nicely I should have been clearer. I was talking about climbing in a straight line at 200mph with your nose pointing at the horizon. That is not the same as pointing your nose at the sky to catch or outclimb a 109, which it wont do :D

ATAG_Lewis
Jan-30-2015, 19:08
. If you're in a situation where you're being attacked by multiple 109s and you're constantly evading, riding the edge of your stall speed, the Hurricane will keep you alive longer than the Spit in my experience.

+1