PDA

View Full Version : Compass inaccuracies

DangerMouse
Jan-31-2015, 14:01
Hey there. Have been using various sources to learn how to bomb in the He-111. However, none of them have addressed an issue I have:

In order to get the most accurate heading to set up the autopilot and navigate, what should be used?

Say the whiskey compass reads due North. The tool tip that pops up over the compass displays a different heading (usually around 7 degrees off). The repeater and tool tip for the repeater mimic the heading of the whiskey compass, not the whiskey compasses tooltip.

The bombardier compass is also a different heading, though I don't remember if it matches the repeater, the whiskey, the whiskey tool tip or none of the above.

Which heading is accurate?

Thanks

DRock
Jan-31-2015, 15:20
Hey there. Have been using various sources to learn how to bomb in the He-111. However, none of them have addressed an issue I have:

In order to get the most accurate heading to set up the autopilot and navigate, what should be used?

Say the whiskey compass reads due North. The tool tip that pops up over the compass displays a different heading (usually around 7 degrees off). The repeater and tool tip for the repeater mimic the heading of the whiskey compass, not the whiskey compasses tooltip.

The bombardier compass is also a different heading, though I don't remember if it matches the repeater, the whiskey, the whiskey tool tip or none of the above.

Which heading is accurate?

Thanks
There is a 10 degree declination on the maps. This means that true north is actually 10 degrees, south 190 degrees.

I use the main compass, as it seems to be the most accurate.

xvii-Dietrich
Jan-31-2015, 16:13
There are differences for all the various aircraft types and the compasses in them. But the magnetic deviation that DRock mentions applies to them all. Basically, if you look at the map and you want to fly exactly due west (270 deg), then you need to add 10 degrees magnetic deviation correction to get your required magnetic heading (280 deg).

I'm a Ju 88 pilot, so I can't really advise on the He 111. But there is a good video tutorial on He 111 navigation here: http://youtu.be/EEot-4ELnQo

DangerMouse
Jan-31-2015, 17:19
Thanks for the quick replies. I understand that the GM angle is +10, but that is a conversion done from the map to the compass. It shouldn't have any bearing on the before mentioned example. Are you saying that the tooltip is showing the grid heading? Why does the tooltip for the repeater not?

I would think that they would both if that were the case.

If you look at the compass when you navigate do you mean the actual compass or the tooltip?

xvii-Dietrich
Jan-31-2015, 18:32
-

III./ZG76_Saipan
Jan-31-2015, 18:39
...just make sure you take 40% fuel or less..the fuel system transfer doesnt work afaik. even at 40 you can fly all day

1lokos
Jan-31-2015, 19:48
..the fuel system transfer doesnt work afaik.

Technically, work. :)

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12729&highlight=fuel+transfer