PDA

View Full Version : SSAO and Shadows=ON for a CTD cure?

Uther
May-09-2012, 16:51
Can people having CTD's on the ATAG server try these settings please!
Some people at the 1c forum are reporting that it is helping

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=31928

MajorBorris
May-09-2012, 17:17
I saw that earlier, who woulda thought ssao would save ya hehe.

Uther
May-09-2012, 17:31
Hopefully I'll get to try it tomorrow, I'm bored of these CTD's...

*Helo*
May-09-2012, 18:55
Wow, thanks for the tip. Worked for me.

AbortedMan
May-10-2012, 00:07
I CTD'd with SSAO and shadows on about an hour ago...less than 10 minutes into the game. Just coming wheels up out of Hawkinge not an aircraft or flak in sight.

I wish people would stop crying wolf with these supposed "fixes" when they do zero testing or attempt any serious troubleshooting. It gets the community all riled up and will eventually stress people out quicker when their "fixes" don't work over and over.

II/JG53 Rolf
May-10-2012, 02:07
Gents, if you go through that thread at 1C forum, you could see there's a possible relevance between "cloud" setting of the server. Servers without clouds shoul enable pilots to fly there without CTSs, as reported. Worth trying (this is not anti-ATAG advertisement :bgsmile:) . Anyway, it is not cure for cancer... There are possibly multiple CTDs, so this one helps the people with this one. I do belong to them.

My experience:

Before applying the SSAO and SHADOWS ON, I got CTD from 2 to 22 minutes (22 being record) EVERYTIME.

After playing with these on, I didn't get any CTDs. I had 4 sorties with these on, all ended on the ground ;) . Then I turned off shadows and got CTD after 20 minutes. I enabled shadows and flew 40 minut sortie in which I dropped bombs on G7.4 target and climbed and engaged Wellingtons. This would cause crash for sure in past...

So for me worked:

SSAO on
Shadows on
AA in game the same as for card

NVIDIA 460 GTX, beta drivers (latest), Win 7 64.

I hope it helps, anyway, guys keep sending those crash logs and dumps... :blush!:

ATAG_EvangelusE
May-10-2012, 02:21
No body said it was a ureka 'fix' Aborted Man! It is clear that some are having fewer CTD's without SSAO enabled, that's well known. What isn't clear is why others cannot even manage more than a few minutes without getting a CTD. Enabling SSAO seems to improve the situation for some but does little for others.

Why this is so isn't understood, we can only guess and try the suggestions made by members of the community who were experiencing similar problems and shared their progress in trying to resolve them

The fix will eventually come from the devs, but your comments criticising people for not testing their findings are questionable - unless you expect them to buy 120 PCs, and rig them out with a whole bunch of different specs. The devs are struggling to iron out the bugs, hence the alpha. The fact remains that, for whatever reason, it performs OK on one machine and badly on another. If a few have benefitted from having SSAO on then surely it was worth trying it at least.

jaydee
May-10-2012, 02:58
I CTD'd with SSAO and shadows on about an hour ago...less than 10 minutes into the game. Just coming wheels up out of Hawkinge not an aircraft or flak in sight.

I wish people would stop crying wolf with these supposed "fixes" when they do zero testing or attempt any serious troubleshooting. It gets the community all riled up and will eventually stress people out quicker when their "fixes" don't work over and over.

Im frustrated with the patch too ( im not giving up on COD) but i think its great that someone who has COD running better and wants to share what they think it was, that "fixed it" ! Whether it works for me is another thing but the more people that post"Their sucesses",the sooner we will All find a cure for our COD woes !

Uther
May-10-2012, 17:04
OK, on Monday night I had a launcher crash at 5 minutes, 10 minutes, and another one at 30 minutes on ATAG. I had SSAO off, AA off, forest off,grass off, and roads off.
Tonight, I have changed my settings to:
AA off
SSAO ON
VSYNC ON
GRASS ON
SHADOWS ON
ROADS ON
FOREST OFF
And have just flown one hour 40 minutes with NO launcher crashes!

ATAG_Snapper
May-10-2012, 17:22

Hi Aborted Man, and welcome to the ATAG Forum.

Sorry the "CTD fix" didn't work for you, but thank you for reporting that fact. You will find this forum is a little different to the others we all frequent. All ideas and suggestions are welcome here -- and the posters come here knowing they won't be criticized for doing so. Just the opposite, in fact.

I hope and trust you can adjust to this little quirk of the ATAG Forum since we look forward to future creative input from you as well!

BTW, good flying with you the other night. Hope to see you many times again!

Snapper

Dutch
May-10-2012, 18:37
Pre-patch, I had ssao off and shadows on as a matter of course and had a launcher crash maybe every 2 hours or so.

I can't say for sure if the ssao being switched on with patch reduces the frequency of the launcher crash yet, but ssao no longer brings the frame rate down as radically, so it might as well be left switched on.

Not that this improves picture quality enough to make it as nice to look at as pre-patch graphics, but if it helps some people, why not suggest it? It's a simple enough job to switch it off again if it doesn't work for you. :thumbsup:

Edit: I have noticed that the shadows shimmer far less than previously, is this ssao or is this placebo?

AbortedMan
May-10-2012, 18:48
Sorry, didn't mean to put off the "Negative Nancy" vibe...I guess text doesn't convey the proper tone sometimes.

I'm coming from other discussions where people are swearing that the "fix" is using WinRAR to extract files directly rather than copying/pasting files to your directory and vice-versa, which, I'm sure, has zero effect on actual gameplay. You either copy the files correctly or you didn't. It's simple unfounded theories such as these that get less-informed-people's hopes up only to be let down again, possibly shortening their patience with the game. Perhaps shortening it so much that maybe the fix that would have come along and worked is no good anymore because that frustrated player doesn't want to mess with it any longer, or has sworn to stop checking the forums in the name of frustration so the fix is never seen in the first place.

It's just frustrating and I guess I'm passively, ineffectively, and lazily hinting at people to educate themselves a little more about the operations and resource utilization that goes on behind the scenes and in the code/scripts.

Dutch
May-10-2012, 18:52
No worries AM, stress levels are high! :bgsmile:

I read the WinRar thing too, but always use WinRar anyway, and still have had monstrous crashes. Not been online really long enough to test ssao as above, but last night it seemed generally smoother. We shall see! :Grin:

ATAG_Snapper
May-10-2012, 20:20
AM, I hear you loud and clear -- and I know many of us have a lot to learn about this stuff. Nonetheless, there is no way anyone will have to feel reluctant to float an idea or suggestion to try something out of fear that he will be admonished for not doing due diligence in researching the background first. We want a free flow of ideas -- again, we're a different place here. This is NOT the place to be if this concept upsets you.

We have some pretty knowledgeable gents on here already who are very patient explaining the why's and wherefores to us unwashed masses with our frequently-uninformed ideas and thoughts. You are in a position to teach us much, and we're willing to learn. Or you may decide this is not the place for you at all -- your choice. I'm hoping you choose the former.

Snapper

XE9O
May-10-2012, 21:03
~S~ Gents, The SSAO and Shadows Idea did work for me, Now I am turning up the Nvidia control panel up 1 setting at a time, then a test..

But Before you set your SSAO and shadows you must run around your computer Chair 3 times , do one hand stand and then Make your Changes,

Thanks for the help on this Forum.

~S~ 71st_AH-XE90

ATAG_EvangelusE
May-10-2012, 22:08
Deleted, I am getting too many different outcomes for me to be accurate anymore other than SSAO and Shadows seems to resolve my MP CTD with clouds enabled?

I also noticed in BS's latest update that he says lowering textures using this alpha will not give an increase in fps - so I cranked em up! :thumbsup:

III./ZG76_Keller
May-10-2012, 23:02
I flew 2 nights with SSAO on and took a big 25 fps hit, brought me down to 28-35 fps, but I had very few CTD's.

I turned SSAO off and flew with much higher frame-rates (steady 55-60 fps) but CTD with no warning. I was in a dogfight with 1 hurri mid channel and I crashed right as I was passing by his tail in a climb. Prior to the patch I would only have launcher crashes when flying near multiple aircraft.

ATAG_EvangelusE
May-10-2012, 23:11
Edit. - my mirrors have suddenly started to render whereas this previously they were just an empty frame with the same GFX settings.......

Dowly
May-11-2012, 07:18
Turning SSAO & Shadows on seems to have fixed my CTD issues too.

So thanks Uther! :thumbsup:

ATAG_Snapper
May-11-2012, 15:46
Flew on MEDIUM settings (and Shadows ON -- I like shadows) and SSAO on. Flew for about 1.5 hours, including a Server reset to a new mission. (RED won! Yay! :bgsmile: ). Frame rates were good ~40 fps over terrain. Everything actually looked good. Right after a low-level dogfight with a 109 I got a screen freeze -- hitting ESC sent back to Desktop. Will send .dmp file and log.txt to Ilya.

SSAO did not prevent a launcher crash for me, but nor did it hasten it IMHO. I'm goingto stick with these settings for now to further evaluate.

Dowly
May-11-2012, 16:26
Little update, still no CTDs, SSAO & shadows on.

Rig:
AMD FX 8120 8 core (~3,1GHz)
12Gb RAM DDR3
GF 560 1Gb (non-Ti)
Win7 64bit

I flew 3-4 20-30min sorties yesterday in same session, 1 ~40min one today, alles klar!

@Snapper, it does look awfully pretty doesn't it? I thought it'd look like crap hearing
about how they've disabled some stuff for the alpha. Just flew a dawn sortie
earlier today on server 1 and it looked amazing! :hpyclp: