PDA

View Full Version : Looking for LW squadron to join

DKönig
Feb-10-2015, 16:55
Good day fellas,

I've been looking around at the many different luftwaffe squadrons. I'm interested to join one as I had a great experience years ago doing so with the old il2, and giving some thought to a couple of squadrons Ive seen so far.

Im in EST, fly both CLOD and BOS and use primarily the 109s but sometimes the Stuka or bombers or 110s to change it up.

Im not looking for a hardcore second career committment with mandatory training appointments and after action briefings etc, I've done 12 years in the Canadian Military and have had quite enough 'playing war' for my liking.

That being said, i'll fly with anyone as long as they don't mind that I have a full time job with irregular hours and wife/kids and will play when i'm able.

Full disclosure, I am a terrible pilot and often go up in flames. Youll know its me when you see a 109 burning especially spectacularly - due to my unreasonably high blood alcohol level... But hey its the 1940s and its not illegal to drink and operate heavy machinery for at least 40 years in most of the world.

Im usually on the ATAG server and TS, or wherever the most pilots are.Thanks to anyone that can point me in the right direction!

Cheers

Chuck_Owl
Feb-11-2015, 01:48
9./JG52 are a nice bunch and seem to be the group you're looking for.

xvii-Dietrich
Feb-11-2015, 05:28
-

LuseKofte
Feb-11-2015, 06:39
9./JG52 are a nice bunch and seem to be the group you're looking for.

I agree, it is a few more and those in acg

Grey
Feb-12-2015, 10:00
Join us on the R/T over the weekend, we can work something out here!

http://www.aircombatgroup.co.uk/teamspeak.php

DKönig
Feb-12-2015, 11:29
Sure! But.. whats an R/T ? Lol what time do you guys set up ?

Thanks for all the suggestions/input guys :)

Grey
Feb-12-2015, 14:06
Sure! But.. whats an R/T ? Lol what time do you guys set up ?

Thanks for all the suggestions/input guys :)

Most of us are on at 20:00 Berlin time for our Sunday mission, this week we're doing a swap, cause we're on a campaign brake right now.
The Bf-110 guys are taking the Spitfires up, Bf-109 will be on Hurries and the RAF will be on Bf-109's but no one has the guts yet to fly our magnificent 110's...
should be a lot of fun!

The rest of the week most of our squad is out working and like I, get home on Fridays.
We've got some ex-mil fellas with us, so you should fit right in!
Bring your good sense of humor, our guys crack up constantly, so hop in and have fun.
Hope to see you around!

R/T channel in here!
6./ZG76 channel
http://www.aircombatgroup.co.uk/teamspeak.php

SorcererDave
Feb-12-2015, 14:24
I should point out that in ACG you do have to write after action reports after each Sunday campaign mission, and most of our squadrons/staffels do have semi-mandatory training evenings. I don't want to scare you off, but I feel I ought to point it out since you quite specifically mentioned you weren't interested in that sort of thing. That said we're incredibly laid back compared to a lot of squads in flight sims. You won't have to call anyone "sir" or anything asinine like that, and come to think of it, making fun of the guys in charge is actively encouraged. :D

Plus the campaign missions are pretty goddamn spectacular. I love a casual kickabout on ATAG as much as the next chap but it doesn't come remotely close to the weekend missions in terms of immersion and realism. I tried it out for the first time as a guest about 4 months ago, and I just couldn't go back. Totally worth having to fill out a few drop-down menus afterwards as a "report" in my opinion. If hun planes are your thing we've got three staffels of Bf109s to choose from (6./JG26 is for German-speakers only) and a Bf110 staffel (if you're feeling particularly hardcore). We're also going to be setting up Ju-87 and Ju-88 "drop-in" squadrons in the near future if you fancy doing some ground-pounding.

Like Grey said, jump onto our TS server at some point and we'll answer any questions you might have.

DKönig
Feb-12-2015, 15:33
I should point out that in ACG you do have to write after action reports after each Sunday campaign mission, and most of our squadrons/staffels do have semi-mandatory training evenings. I don't want to scare you off, but I feel I ought to point it out since you quite specifically mentioned you weren't interested in that sort of thing. That said we're incredibly laid back compared to a lot of squads in flight sims. You won't have to call anyone "sir" or anything asinine like that, and come to think of it, making fun of the guys in charge is actively encouraged. :D

Hmm it might be something I could work around, I do play fairly often but just whenever I can, at random times. I work on short notice irregular hours and have a baby at home - its unpredictable :)
It does sound found though, I enjoy the ATAG server but like you said most times it is just random crazyness with no structure to it. I get bored after an hour or so of flying around on my own trying to ambush people.

I like the 109s most, I fly stuka from time to time though.

If any person over the internet insisted I call them "sir" within the realm of a virtual/make believe wargame, I would seriously contemplate locating them in real life and introducing them to what real military life looks like, since they like it so much ;) That, or I would compromise and say that while they must maintain a strict respect protocol, I will be implementing a mandatory, rigorous and merciless physical fitness standard that they must youtube monthly recordings of and upload for my approval so I can be sure they are cultivating and maintaing a 'warrior spirit' and keeping their body in prime fighting condition. Or maybe we can just agree its a video game and everybody calms down by about 400%.

Then again, said person would most likely be 14 years old. At least I hope so.

For their own sake.

Cheers :)

Grey
Feb-12-2015, 16:03
Look it's like this within our 110 staffel, nobody calls no one sir, I'm 42 with a military back ground (did some training last year with 2CER from Petawawa in BC last year during Roguish buoy ex.) and in not into that, this is an hobby.
We don't do training sessions in our team cause I know it would scare people off. It's damn hard to find 110 pilots, but once there in they hang around and have a good time, they show up almost weekly during campaign day and that's good enough for me and the 'big boss'.
If you'd like to fly during the week; fine, but I can't, nobody is holding that against me, even though I run the 110 staffel within ACG.
About the reports; don't let these scare you off neither I can fill you in on that if your still interested over the R/T but it's really no big deal.

DKönig
Feb-12-2015, 16:39
Haha small world - I'm in Petawawa right now. Run into a guy named Willis Ripley from 2CER by any chance?

Why do they bother with the reports anyway? Record keeping purposes ?
I'm interested in taking part, I'll try and check in this weekend sometime. I most often play later at night though 9pm-12 EST. Sometimes midday though depends on the young fella.

SorcererDave
Feb-12-2015, 17:26
Why do they bother with the reports anyway? Record keeping purposes ?

Basically, yeah. And to confirm you actually attended. Flying in the Sunday campaign regularly is the sole real requirement. Some folks like to write a full synopsis but all you actually have to do is press a few buttons so the guys in charge know if you survived and if you shot anyone down. It's all on our database here if you fancy a butchers: http://aircombatgroup.co.uk/acg-pam/index.php

Like I said, casual flying is fun, but ACG is founded entirely around the campaign we run on weekends. If you want a squadron just for flying on ATAG with we're not really the group for you I'm afraid.

Grey
Feb-12-2015, 18:32
Haha small world - I'm in Petawawa right now. Run into a guy named Willis Ripley from 2CER by any chance?

Forgive me but I'm lucky if I can remember some of my own relatives names... shame on me I know...

Here's a pic I took when I was out there, got some better ones but I can't remember where I've put those... I know a guy named Phil ( with a French last name) who was out there, smoked like a chimney and he always took us out on a rip, great fella!

http://i.imgur.com/RdHP4Ev.jpg

DKönig
Feb-12-2015, 19:38
Ahah home sweet home.. good old Petawawa.

About the ACG campaigns, are they competitive? Does the outcome of one mission have any effect on the next or is just kind of scenarios run every sunday?

Basically, yeah. And to confirm you actually attended. Flying in the Sunday campaign regularly is the sole real requirement. Some folks like to write a full synopsis but all you actually have to do is press a few buttons so the guys in charge know if you survived and if you shot anyone down. It's all on our database here if you fancy a butchers: http://aircombatgroup.co.uk/acg-pam/index.php

Like I said, casual flying is fun, but ACG is founded entirely around the campaign we run on weekends. If you want a squadron just for flying on ATAG with we're not really the group for you I'm afraid.

It's not that im opposed to structured missions or anything I just don't want to be held down to a mandatory time slot every week or be punted for not showing up for a couple weeks or something. Not saying you guys are like that, I have no idea i've just recently heard about you. I just remember how ridiculous some of the old squadrons were back in the il2 days. Calling people sir and showing up on time were the least annoying aspects with some of those guys..

Grey
Feb-13-2015, 02:42
Ahah home sweet home.. good old Petawawa.

About the ACG campaigns, are they competitive? Does the outcome of one mission have any effect on the next or is just kind of scenarios run every sunday?

It's not that im opposed to structured missions or anything I just don't want to be held down to a mandatory time slot every week or be punted for not showing up for a couple weeks or something. Not saying you guys are like that, I have no idea i've just recently heard about you. I just remember how ridiculous some of the old squadrons were back in the il2 days. Calling people sir and showing up on time were the least annoying aspects with some of those guys..

They are reenactments really, we take off in formation and do a mission according to briefing
when you've been shot down you'll have to leave the server.
the outcome doesn't matter.
If you can't show up on a certain Sunday, just post a message saying: 'I wont be here'.

DKönig
Feb-13-2015, 12:37
Ill drop in on one of the next ones at check it out :)

Grey
Feb-13-2015, 13:54
Ill drop in on one of the next ones at check it out :)

Sure!
No need to sign up right away anyways, drop in a couple of times and see how it runs!

ATAG_Flare
Feb-15-2015, 12:35
Then again, said person would most likely be 14 years old. At least I hope so.

For their own sake.

Don't worry, Ive heard most of the 14 year olds here are pretty laid back when it comes to military order :D