PDA

View Full Version : Rudder Pedals.

7./JG26_SMOKEJUMPER
Feb-11-2015, 01:41
Hi guys,

This time I think I'm posting in the correct forum even if it is technical in nature.

It's time for me to have a serious look at rudder pedals. I spend a great deal of time flight simming and I love it.

The crew here is great. I love the theatre of war and both sides main fighter aircraft are personal favorites. I'm primarily a fighter pilot.

Anyway, tonight I was chasing a Spitfire and while I did get him down I was wasting ammo when I was using left rudder to adjust my lead. With a twist stick like my X55 it can be quite stiff. I'm a scaffolder so can move it well but it ruins my shot while fine tuning often enough that it's time to look at a good set of pedals.

I need them to be tough. I'm a big dude so don't want to smash them during a dogfight. I can't help it my whole body tenses up when in a tight fight. I can imagine putting a lot of force on a set of pedals.

So what do you guys have and I'd like your opinions please. I saw some mod thread once that beefed a set up. I don't mind doing that but I can't seem to find it again.

Thanks all!

ATAG_Dave
Feb-11-2015, 04:03
Currently using a set of Saitek Combat rudder pedals which seem to be a popular choice.

Gromit
Feb-11-2015, 04:51
I have CH pedals and they are excellent, no twitch or flutter, well made and smooth!

hnbdgr
Feb-11-2015, 06:08
I have CH pedals and they are excellent, no twitch or flutter, well made and smooth!

+1 but I had to remove the center detent on them, that was driving me nuts.

ATAG_Lolsav
Feb-11-2015, 06:19
I have the cheapest Saitek Rudder pedals and, after 3 years of heavy use, i can state im pleased with them. I fly with my bear foot (only socks or fluffy slipers) to get most sensivity when it comes to smooth input and aim. I do know a quite few more virtual pilots who do the same. If you havent tryed it, do it, it gives you a extra precision.

Black034
Feb-11-2015, 06:55
Bare-foot rudder work is the only way!

Perform those hammerheads with curves smoother than an African-American soul singer..

Saitek pro-flight here, kinda budget but no problems so far!

hnbdgr
Feb-11-2015, 07:22
I use fluffy socks too :)

But I'm sure, much like a gas pedal - operating a real airplane rudder pedal without boots/shoes would just feel wrong.

farley
Feb-11-2015, 08:43
I fly with my bear foot

Man. how do you get that big thing onto those pedals? :stunned:

And what does the rest of you look like? :recon:

I've really enjoyed my Saitek Pro Pedals, but have never used any others, so can't compare. After a while you'll wonder how you ever flew without them.

ATAG_Lewis
Feb-11-2015, 09:50
I would consider making a set of rudder pedals myself...The rudder pedals I see for gaming/simming all look like they are made from plastic and I would prefer alloys which will cost a bomb...so I'd probably have a go at making some...I mean there is only one potentiometer involved so electrics are pretty basic...The centralising solution would be the toughest thing to think about but can be done with bungee chord or springs...I took my thrustmaster steering wheel apart once and was shocked at how well the bungee chord worked to centralise the wheel...I was amazed to see how simple it was inside there...I was expecting light rays!!!

Black034
Feb-11-2015, 10:02
Do it Lewis, go for it man!

1lokos
Feb-11-2015, 11:57
The centralising solution would be the toughest thing to think about but can be done with bungee chord or springs...

The best system for center rudder pedal is the variable cam system - like used in MFG Crosswind, Slaw F-16, Bauer Project 1, VKB T-Rudder pedals.

But is difficult for DIY do a proper cam without CNC machines or Laser cut.
So use the "linear cam" for center, that work similar to motorcycle gears pedal center, see in this modernized Tm RCS:

http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/111003-mechpit-ii-a-practical-approach/page__view__findpost__p__3193310

This system is basically what is used in Saitek, CH, VKB RDRXXI, Slaw Bf 109 pedals.

Whit metal profiles and using pillow block bearings (http://sws.en.alibaba.com/product/221878974-212209910/Stamping_Pillow_Block.html) you can make a good pedal.

7./JG26_SMOKEJUMPER
Feb-11-2015, 12:32
I had seen a British fella who had made a set. They where crazy cool.

I am in the retail market. While I have the skill to figure it out I am starting a property development business and have no time for extra building stuff. Blew out my back mining, thank god I didn't piss all my money away like most miners/oil workers do.

Annoyingly I have discovered I am good at tiling but I bloody hate doing it......... Scaffolding was harder but way less aggravation!

So frontrunners are are CH or Saitek? Are specific models better than others?

Also, it appears that I require some bear feet to use on the pedals when they arrive. :P

I don't think the local bears in my area will appreciate it but hey, it's Canada we have plenty.

ATAG_Lolsav
Feb-11-2015, 12:41
I don't think the local bears in my area will appreciate it but hey, it's Canada we have plenty.

:glaughter:

5./JG26_Peete
Feb-11-2015, 14:49
I fly with my fying boots on ofcource... real is real... :-). . And Atag_lewis the saitek rudders do the braking also ..you can tip youre toos and the plane brakes!!! But ofcource a spitty have no footbrakes. .. :-)

III./ZG76_Saipan
Feb-11-2015, 15:34
saitek basic pedals has braking option..not sure if CH does.

http://www.amazon.com/Saitek-Pro-Flight-Rudder-Pedals/dp/B000H67DDY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1423686764&sr=8-1&keywords=saitek+pedals

i think these are the ones lolsav have and i have also. plug and play, set controls in the game controls menu. never has a problem. although they do slide a bit when use them. i backed mine up against the wall under my desk. had them for years, no issue.

you can use the toes for brakes, maybe some who has CH can say if they are the same.

ATAG_Lolsav
Feb-11-2015, 15:41
http://www.amazon.com/Saitek-Pro-Flight-Rudder-Pedals/dp/B000H67DDY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1423686764&sr=8-1&keywords=saitek+pedals

i think these are the ones lolsav have and i have also.

Yes i confirm, those are the ones i have

1lokos
Feb-11-2015, 16:08
saitek basic pedals has braking option..not sure if CH does.

The only rudder pedal on the market that don't have toe brakes is VKB T-rudder and one version of RDRXXI.

All Saitek 3 models, CH, MFG, Slaw had.

CH have better quality construction quality than Saitek - CH products lasts decade - but have poor ergonomics, too narrow.
In the past was easy get sparte parts replacement like potentiometers from CH , but now the brand was sold for another group
and they dont have interest in maintain spare parts.

Saitek has 3 models that only differ in foot rest (and price), the base mechanics and electronics are the same in all.

7./JG26_SMOKEJUMPER
Feb-11-2015, 21:22
The only rudder pedal on the market that don't have toe brakes is VKB T-rudder and one version of RDRXXI.

CH have better quality construction quality than Saitek - CH products lasts decade - but have poor ergonomics, too narrow.
In the past was easy get sparte parts replacement like potentiometers from CH , but now the brand was sold for another group

Saitek has 3 models that only differ in foot rest (and price), the base mechanics and electronics are the same in all.

This post wins as the most helpful for me specifically. I'm a big fella like I said before and sitting with my feet too close would not be fun for very long.

Too bad too. I got excited when you mentioned build quality of CH products but the follow up really helped narrow my focus.

I'm pretty happy with my Saitek X-55. I think the quality is right in the range of what I paid for it. If it lasts me years I'll be dead chuffed.

So the one you guys have. I see it priced around $150 which to me looks pretty good. Are there higher quality or lower quality ones to look at as well?

You know with the upcoming Occulus Rift I'm thinking we will see a resurgence of war fighting flight sims. Could be lots of neat toys coming out soon. Fingers crossed.

7./JG26_SMOKEJUMPER
Feb-11-2015, 22:26
Okay, thanks to Ebay I have a set of Saitek Pro Combat pedals coming.

They cost me an extra $50 but they are metal.

Thanks for the advice everyone. See you in the skies!

III./ZG76_Saipan
Feb-12-2015, 00:10
cool, you'll see immersion is even better in the air and on the ground.

Shred
Feb-20-2015, 18:21
Hello!

New pilot here, just got the game + TF mods, starting to learn the basics, though IL-2 has always interested me, since my not-so-distant relative was an actual ww2 pilot.

One question: Is it possible to get my G27 racing wheel pedals to work as rudder pedals? Cliffs of Dover seems to treat rudder axis as single axis, while G27 pedals are two separate axis (clutch & throttle).

1lokos
Feb-20-2015, 20:34
Shred

You can use a racing pedal as flight sim pedal, but is need that pedals for throttle, brake or clutch work as individual axis.
Some pedals share the same axis for throttle and rudder. I dont know how is in G-27.

If this was OK go to Options > controls > axis > select Left Wheel Brakes and press the desired G-27 pedal, same for right. Hit Apply.

9./JG52 Ziegler
Feb-21-2015, 07:16
If you ever try a set of MFG Crosswinds, you'll never go back to a commercially made set. They are the best IMO and I've tried a few.

I've had mine for a year now and after a few firmware updates from Milan, they just get better. At the end of the day they are "just rudder pedals" but! They have over 4k positions per axis so they are very accurate when you just need that little big of yaw to line up a your gunnery. They are very well made, look cool, and are very adjustable. The downside, about a 3-4 month waiting period to get them. That said I urge anyone who wants them to get on the list. :thumbsup:

oneeyeddog
Feb-21-2015, 08:33
I recently order these F-16 pedals from Slaw they should arrive in 10 days or so. The damper does not come with the pedals, so I ordered one from ebay.
http://simhq.com/forum/files/usergals/2015/01/full-35902-95082-dsc_0803.jpg

ChiefRedCloud
Feb-21-2015, 09:02
I have the cheapest Saitek Rudder pedals and, after 3 years of heavy use, i can state im pleased with them. I fly with my bear foot (only socks or fluffy slipers) to get most sensivity when it comes to smooth input and aim. I do know a quite few more virtual pilots who do the same. If you havent tryed it, do it, it gives you a extra precision.

And here it was I thought I was the only barefoot peddler ..... ;;)

Chief

KansasCS
Feb-21-2015, 15:26
I bought used combat pedals a few days ago and would be otherwise satisfied with them, but I have a minor problem. I have to overcome a threshold of force in order to bank left. Annoying when I want to fine tune while lining up sights(the reason I got them in the first place). As if a tiny rough edge were blocking the way. Banking right is no problem, just left.
I already opened up the plastic frame to take alook inside and to see if an object would block the rails, but the problem seems to originate from the fulcrum. The entire moving mechanism has to pop up or out of something in order to move unhindered.
My question is: Can this be fixed or is it due to general wear?

KansasCS
Feb-22-2015, 05:18
After some further research i stumbled across this diy guide.
http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=73311

I'll try this as soon as I get home!

Edit: took me some patience to unhinge the spring but after that the procedure is rather trivial. It's a day and night difference!

I highly recommend it!

7./JG26_SMOKEJUMPER
Feb-22-2015, 18:34
If you ever try a set of MFG Crosswinds, you'll never go back to a commercially made set. They are the best IMO and I've tried a few.

I've had mine for a year now and after a few firmware updates from Milan, they just get better. At the end of the day they are "just rudder pedals" but! They have over 4k positions per axis so they are very accurate when you just need that little big of yaw to line up a your gunnery. They are very well made, look cool, and are very adjustable. The downside, about a 3-4 month waiting period to get them. That said I urge anyone who wants them to get on the list. :thumbsup:

Dude!!!

Why didn't you join in earlier????

Now I have to wait until I can get away with replacing the ones that have not even arrived yet..... :P

That's going to be a bit, I barely avoided getting in crap for buying the Saitek ones. Fortunately the wife did something bad and couldn't yell at me. :)

9./JG52 Mindle
Feb-22-2015, 18:45
I asked Paranoid today if I should buy rudder pedals and he said I should. So I did. I ordered saitek pro combat. If i don't like them I can blame him. [emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7./JG26_SMOKEJUMPER
Feb-27-2015, 14:35
I lost out on the Saitek pedals. A bad ebayer sold mine after I purchased it.

So today I go look for another pair on ebay and someone is selling a set of MFG Crosswind.

Mine, all mine.

http://mfg.simundza.com/mfgcrosswind.php

Paid in full. I love ebay. Poor bugger had to sell because if a medical issue. I paid his asking price, I know what it's like to get an injury and have life change overnight.

I helped him out and now I have sweet sweet pedals incoming.

ATAG_Dave
Feb-27-2015, 14:47

So today I go look for another pair on ebay and someone is selling a set of MFG Crosswind.

Mine, all mine.

Paid in full. I love ebay. Poor bugger had to sell because if a medical issue. I paid his asking price, I know what it's like to get an injury and have life change overnight.

You will love them :thumbsup:

EAF51_Jimmi
Feb-27-2015, 16:53
+1 MFG Simunza here!
Thanks to the man who make them!

also the Slaw should be very good tough...

Hope they both can sell a lot of quality pedals (and hopefully lower prices to let everybody use them!)

KansasCS
Feb-27-2015, 20:56
After flying for 2 weeks with pedals i have yet to incorperate them into my flying as intuitively as the joystick twists. Taking Off is really fun Now, but lining up a shot in a turn takes slightly longer than before. I think it's not as precise and responsive, simply because you use your legs AND your hand, as opposed to just the hand that's already in control of most of the airplanes directional commands. It's like One of those 'tap your head while circling your tummy' excercises.

But maybe i just need to practice some more.

oneeyeddog
Feb-27-2015, 22:26
I just got my Slaw F-16 Pedals today. The 2nd pic is the damper I will install. These all metal pedals are impeccably crafted. 157771577815779

Combat Wombat
Feb-28-2015, 00:43
I just got my Slaw F-16 Pedals today. The 2nd pic is the damper I will install. These all metal pedals are impeccably crafted. 157771577815779
very nice my furry friend )

Osprey
Feb-28-2015, 07:28
I've had the Saitek Pro ones (the black plastic ones) for 10 years and they've been faultless.

9./JG52 Ziegler
Feb-28-2015, 07:46

Mine, all mine.

Nice one CSJ :thumbsup: You will be well pleased with MFG's.

oneeyeddog
Feb-28-2015, 13:00
very nice my furry friend )

Thanks, Wombat. These are a new style of pedal from Slaw, I'm looking forward to trying them out and seeing how the dampening system works.

Combat Wombat
Feb-28-2015, 23:30
What do you think about replacing all the nuts with Nylock nuts ? What was the shipping like time wise ? I am more than happy with my mfg's but always willing to check out new stuff.

oneeyeddog
Mar-01-2015, 08:04
What do you think about replacing all the nuts with Nylock nuts ? What was the shipping like time wise ? I am more than happy with my mfg's but always willing to check out new stuff.

Wombat, its possible replacing the existing nuts might clean up the aesthetics a bit. These took 8 days to get from Poland to Kalamazoo Michigan.

7./JG26_SMOKEJUMPER
Mar-01-2015, 19:47
Nice one CSJ :thumbsup: You will be well pleased with MFG's.

Thanks I'm excited. Guy is stoked to get most of his money back.

Oneeye. Those pedals look great. I liked the look of the 109 pedals too.

I am really looking forward to the added immersion and ability for smaller rudder movements in combat.

oneeyeddog
Mar-01-2015, 22:00
Thanks I'm excited. Guy is stoked to get most of his money back.

Oneeye. Those pedals look great. I liked the look of the 109 pedals too.

I am really looking forward to the added immersion and ability for smaller rudder movements in combat.

Thanks Smokejumper. Glad you found a great deal on those pedals.

7./JG26_SMOKEJUMPER
Mar-11-2015, 18:57
Not so much a great deal but I have them.

Just arrived a couple hours ago.

I've finished tiling have to eat then I'm going to try them out.

Fehler
Mar-11-2015, 21:10
I would consider making a set of rudder pedals myself...The rudder pedals I see for gaming/simming all look like they are made from plastic and I would prefer alloys which will cost a bomb...so I'd probably have a go at making some...I mean there is only one potentiometer involved so electrics are pretty basic...The centralising solution would be the toughest thing to think about but can be done with bungee chord or springs...I took my thrustmaster steering wheel apart once and was shocked at how well the bungee chord worked to centralise the wheel...I was amazed to see how simple it was inside there...I was expecting light rays!!!

You can use a hall effect sensor and one of those Bodnar controllers. I have had mine for 5+ years now and I can use them as a tow bar in a pinch! ;)

9./JG52 Ziegler
Mar-12-2015, 07:54
Not so much a great deal but I have them.

Just arrived a couple hours ago.

I've finished tiling have to eat then I'm going to try them out.

Make sure you let Milan know that you have the pedals (serial number). He will then have your info on his list and you'll get any firmware updates and the configurator and bootstrap software to install and/ calibrate. Actually I think you can get configurator and that from his website. Depending on the serial number of your pedals it's probaly the 1.41 version. The newest pedals use the 2.0 version but those are recent pairs. :thumbsup:

PS: believe me you got a good deal even if you paid full price because the wait list is about 4 months long right now.

KansasCS
Mar-12-2015, 08:50
Is there a way to aqcuire crosswind pedals in Germany?

5./JG26_Peete
Mar-12-2015, 09:37
Set croswind in options Germany Croswind.ini.exe
KansasCS.

JG4_sKylon
Mar-12-2015, 10:19
Is there a way to aqcuire crosswind pedals in Germany?

But they donĀ“t take orders or reservations right now. Just checked an hour ago to order some for me :)

EAF51_Jimmi
Mar-12-2015, 11:22
I moved from Ch Pedals that as Lokos says have great build quality (last forever) (only problem too narrow)
to MSG Crosswind! Great great great pedals!

So i would suggest CH pedals (even used) to newcomers or as a first pair of pedals
but
MFG Crosswind as an upgrade for those who want the best! (i think are on equal quality as slaw device)

7./JG26_SMOKEJUMPER
Mar-12-2015, 13:01
Make sure you let Milan know that you have the pedals (serial number). He will then have your info on his list and you'll get any firmware updates and the configurator and bootstrap software to install and/ calibrate. Actually I think you can get configurator and that from his website. Depending on the serial number of your pedals it's probaly the 1.41 version. The newest pedals use the 2.0 version but those are recent pairs. :thumbsup:

PS: believe me you got a good deal even if you paid full price because the wait list is about 4 months long right now.

That's why I jumped on them. All the guy wanted was his money back. Used them for 10 hours. I can tell, they look brand new.

Thanks for the heads up. I just sent an email. I have set No. 250.

Good practice to get into pedal muscle memory faster is to taxi around hands off controls. Just use your feet to get into the habit faster. I've flown a fair bit growing up but I am still struggling a bit to remember to not twist but use the pedals in combat. I've only flown an evening with them so I'm sure it will become natural quickly. I've certainly gotten used to much more awkward gaming peripherals before. This will be a breeze.

Oh and these pedlas, wow are they ever butter smooth.

Have not messed with the configuration program. I opened it and went derrrrrr and just jumped in game. These things are pretty much plug and play.

Worth it.

Now I need a matching quality flight stick.

LuseKofte
Mar-12-2015, 16:59

I did consider CH Rudderpedals, but the narrow pedals prevented me to do so since I got a yoke between my legs, and this is the only critique I ever read about these pedals. But if you got the time waiting and money I recommend MGF Crosswind, I got those and they are in a totally other division than those I had before Saitek Combat