PDA

View Full Version : For Those Who Have Hard Time Seeing The Target Dots at Distance.

MOHAWK
May-11-2012, 17:20
For Those Who Have Hard Time Seeing The Target Dots at Distance and do not want to reduce the visual quality by reduceing the native resolution (like myself ) --may want to try this , first off -- the so-called fix for (disapering dots)= changing the(meshshowlod=0 to a 1 )in (conf file) does not do anything for me except give me a 8-9 FPS hit (reduction) so i stay at meshshowlod=0 , if this is a ATI -vs- Nvidia thing , I dont know ? but doesn't do shit for me ( Nvidia ) so what im doing is changing the (Visibilitydistance=4 to a 5 ) (click save ) and am getting good results ,
am going to keep raising the number till neg impact --but so far 5 is good .....and -NO-FPS hit ..
Now my testing is minimal at offline -FMB-map.((TrackIR4=off) here is what i noticed .=== spawning in at (Manston) hit F2 external view and zoom out way up in the air about 2-3000ft or so with the mouse , now looking towards (Deal) where i have a batch of ships off coast and out to sea. and then towards Canterberry Airfield where i have ground targets. with setting of (4 ) i can only see about 3-4 of the ship dots ,and (No) targets at Canterberry Airfield, now with a setting of (5) I can see the target dots at the airfield and can still see the ship target dots at ( Deal) plus 4 more ship dots that are further out to sea ..and might be seeing the french coast through the haze -- i am running the latest Clod alfa patch 1.06,
--Now MY Theory on TrackerIR4 -vs- TrackerIR5 and seeing the target dots at a distance ... now that i know the basic differance between the two = IR5 is smoother motion, which you will (SEE) and smooter internal tracking (small vibrations while moving your head ( you will prob not see ) since the target dots at a distance are so tiny (about the size of a single monitor pixel) any vibration while scanning the screen looking for dots ( may obscure or make dot harder to see ) Just my theory ?
(hence the reason for testing above with trackir4 off = felt i would get more accurate results testing the (visibilitydistance=5) Anyway, I have so thoroughly covinced myself of the above that i have ordered the TrackIR5 unit , OK I am done rambling , so if you have same target dot prob i have ( have at it and try these settings with track ir off and see if it helps at all (i will do more intensive testing under diff conditions in a few days (GOOD LUCK) and hope this helps sombody ??
====please add to post any -POS or Neg results .......

ATAG_Snapper
May-11-2012, 19:48
Interesting post, Mohawk.

Gonna give it a try myself for online play. Can't hurt, may be good. We'll see.

Thanks for sharing this.

ATAG_Knuckles
May-11-2012, 20:50
anxious to try this a well :thumbsup:

ATAG_Knuckles
May-12-2012, 11:49
Mohawk help me here:

when you say (conf file) I assume its the "confUser" file in the 1C SoftClub file ?

because I can not find "meshshowlod" or "visabilitydistance" in that file

can you point me in the right direction

Thanks

Knuckles

MOHAWK
May-12-2012, 13:09
Hey Knuckles: here is the path = local C drive / users / your name folder / my documents / 1c softclub / il2 sturmovik cliffs of dover / now find the one just labled (conf) open that one, scroll down to heading [core] both visibilitydistance=4 and meshshowlod=0 will be in that colum , I have played with some other settings here to no avail , so the only one i changed was visabilitydistance to =6 ----x out of the file and click save , most of the other guys have changed the meshshowlod=0 to a =1 ,---but this does give me about 8-9 fps neg hit = try it to see how it works for you , i have not noticed an improvment from the 5 to =6 setting visibility , but i did from =4 to =5 ,but am leaving it at 6 just for the hell of it ... i dont know if this is connected or not , but a few min ago i tried to go online and multiplay server list is empty ? maybe steam is down --i dont see how this one change would effect that , will try connect later -- you can easely change back your config settings and save ...good luck.- are you useing trackir4 or 5 ---if 4 i will let you know if i see any improvment with the 5 when it gets here ----note i just read there is a dll hot fix out today ,check ATAG forum....

Alice
May-12-2012, 13:48
Hey Knuckles: here is the path = local C drive / users / your name folder / my documents / 1c softclub / il2 sturmovik cliffs of dover / now find the one just labled (conf) open that one, scroll down to heading [core] both visibilitydistance=4 and meshshowlod=0 will be in that colum

Thanks MOHAWK!

Just a note, though: For me, the [core] was only in the conf.ini in the IL2 folder in the Steam folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover). The IL2 folder in "My Documents" had a conf.ini in it, but it did not have the [core] settings.

Maybe there is a difference in where the sections appear between the retail box IL2 CloD and the Steam download version.

I changed the one in the Steam folder (after turning off Steam sync, make the change, save, then turn sync back on - I read that somewhere) and will test later tonight.

Fried
May-12-2012, 13:57
Thanks MOHAWK I will have a play around with this and post my findings here, the first thing I noticed when looking at my conf file was that my visibilitydistance was set at 3 so have bumped that up to 5.

I will try the Lod setting but any fps hit would be to big for my low end card

ATAG_Knuckles
May-12-2012, 14:12
Mohawk:

Thanks that worked: just for grins I also changer meshshowlod to 1

and vis to 5

will see what this does and report

Thanks again for all this info

III./ZG76_Saipan
Sep-04-2012, 13:33
so did the changes work? just curious..

ATAG_Knuckles
Sep-04-2012, 14:18
Not really" I still have problems seeing targets up close or far away

Might just be me !!!!:geek:

CanvasKnight
Sep-10-2012, 00:24
View distance is set server side, not client side right? It was in the old Il-2 at least. If you change it in your conf.ini, it will only make a difference in single player. The second you get back online, you're back to the default, or whatever the server has.

ATAG_Colander
Sep-10-2012, 09:47
meshshowlod and Visibilitydistance are a client side configuration.
In layman's words, all they do does is select at what distance the dot will turn to a plane and what minimal quality the plane will have.

Fried
Sep-10-2012, 12:23
In layman's words, all they do does is select at what distance the dot will turn to a plane and what minimal quality the plane will have.

Thanks for the laymans terms, with that in mind I might now have a play around to see what works for me, i am thinking that keeping the "dot" until the plane is closer might actually work, at the moment when the dot changes to a plane, the plane is too far away to see clearly and that's when i loose it.

Which of those two would need tweaking to achieve that, would it be the Visibilitydistance or a combination of both.