PDA

View Full Version : Controlling speed during a boom and zoom pass in the 109

jester_
Feb-18-2015, 02:25
Hello my friends.

I need some tips when I BnZ a target in the 109 e-4. The biggest problem I have is I pick up so much speed that my engine bomberinos. Am I just diving from too high at too steep an angle? I try to dial back the prop pitch to keep the engine from overrevving, but I'm still gaining too much. Like 750km/h easy. I'm probably diving from 1.5km to 2km up at maybe 50-60 degrees.

And also, how much do you follow a target when you dive on them? Currently, I'm making the dive, shooting and zooming back into a climb whether I hit or miss. I know I am not ever going to get into a turn fight with a spitfire because I don't want to die.

Black034
Feb-18-2015, 03:24
You tried dropping the throttle?
Sometimes you can compensate with your rudders as well, just be sure to re-align when you're about to shoot.

Don't follow someone, predict his flight path, let him walk in your sights and extend.
If he turns (he will), yo-yo or hammerhead way above them and try again.

jester_
Feb-18-2015, 04:08
You tried dropping the throttle?
Sometimes you can compensate with your rudders as well, just be sure to re-align when you're about to shoot.

Don't following someone, let him walk in your sights and extend.
If he turns (he will), yo-yo or hammerhead way above them and try again.

Yeah I've pulled the throttle back to about 50-60%. Should I chop it completely? I really feel like I'm just diving from too high at too steep of an angle, but I can't really make it work trying to mosey down on top of them.

5./JG26_Peete
Feb-18-2015, 04:22
Jep youre a litle to high then.. try it with a bit hight.. troltle close when you are to fast !! Mostly a good spit pilot sees you and turn away on the last moment.. thats bad luck nose up trotle open en try again.. good hunting.!!

jester_
Feb-18-2015, 04:26
Jep youre a litle to high then.. try it with a bit hight.. troltle close when you are to fast !! Mostly a good spit pilot sees you and turn away on the last moment.. thats bad luck nose up trotle open en try again.. good hunting.!!

I'll try carrying them in my canopy for a bit while descending gradually to a safer altitude then. We'll see how it goes.

5./JG26_Peete
Feb-18-2015, 04:34
If you fly 109... you can slip down... (slipping is.. push you rudder to the side.... trough youre wing to the other side and you will fall pretty fast down! but in control.. then push rudder in the middle and stick down and neutral.. ) and you fly again.... and lost a whole lot of hight and speed. Then take up speed again by diving down.on youre target !!

Keenable
Feb-18-2015, 07:34
Like Peete and Black have already said, depending on how far below your target is and the steepness of your dive, you may need to chop throttle and at times even side slip to keep your speed under control. This video will give you some idea. The first bounce was from a moderate to shallow dive so I didn't need to do anything. The second required a very steep dive and the target was far below so I cut throttle and side slipped for a few seconds then aligned myself for a pass. To side slip you move your rudder in one direction while using opposite aileron to compensate for the rolling tendency. Practice it a few times, it is easy to learn and very useful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xf6FvZuXpk4

jester_
Feb-18-2015, 08:36
I practiced some side slipping tonight and all I can say is THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH.

Nothing can stop my E-4 now. Bagged me two Spitfire IIa's (three if you count the one I shot down crashing into his wingman... Does that count?), a Defiant, and a Blenny, all with steep dives and high angles using your tips. Thanks guys!

JG4_sKylon
Feb-18-2015, 08:59
Check from 4:45

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0gfM8g-VMc#t=285

Edit: ah sorry... too late :D

jester_
Feb-18-2015, 09:02
Check from 4:45

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0gfM8g-VMc#t=285

Edit: ah sorry... too late :D

Clicked the video out of curiosity, stayed for the awesome combat and drum n bass. Was not at all disappointed. Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it! I'll be flying on the ATAG server soon :D

3./JG51_Heiden
Feb-18-2015, 11:29
In combat or in a dive your prop should be in auto, in which case you would not have an over speed condition.

jester_
Feb-18-2015, 16:37
In combat or in a dive your prop should be in auto, in which case you would not have an over speed condition.

I thought it was generally good practice to switch to manual just before before the dive, and start dropping the RPM to get a head start since the auto control doesn't react fast enough to the abrupt change in speed? I've been setting it back to auto about 5 seconds before I start to pull out from the dive. I try to keep it around 2200 RPM during the dive though.

3./JG51_Heiden
Feb-18-2015, 20:05
The automation is there to reduce your workload so you can focus on other things like the actual combat and positioning. Use it to your advantage. I fly 109s exclusively and always use auto prop for combat and dives.

jester_
Feb-18-2015, 23:55
I'll start leaving the automation on. It does get distracting having to look back at my RPMs and hit my prop pitch lever. Thanks Heiden, and again, thanks for the help everyone!

7./JG26_SMOKEJUMPER
Feb-19-2015, 01:08
Like Peete and Black have already said, depending on how far below your target is and the steepness of your dive, you may need to chop throttle and at times even side slip to keep your speed under control. This video will give you some idea. The first bounce was from a moderate to shallow dive so I didn't need to do anything. The second required a very steep dive and the target was far below so I cut throttle and side slipped for a few seconds then aligned myself for a pass. To side slip you move your rudder in one direction while using opposite aileron to compensate for the rolling tendency. Practice it a few times, it is easy to learn and very useful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xf6FvZuXpk4

How do I zoom my view in so much like that?

9./JG52 Ziegler
Feb-19-2015, 07:42
I'll start leaving the automation on. It does get distracting having to look back at my RPMs and hit my prop pitch lever. Thanks Heiden, and again, thanks for the help everyone!

It's up to you but I never use auto pitch in any of the Emil's (1's and 3's don't have it). It's too slow (to react) and it's good airmanship to be able to control the complex engine functions. In a dive, dial down and reduce throttle to control speed. Throttle to nothing if need be and as you reach the bottom, pitch up as you climb. With experiance you'll know the engine note/rpm and not need to look at the rpm's as much. With some maps there are no 4's available, so get used to using manual pitch in combat. JMO.

JG4_sKylon
Feb-19-2015, 07:50
It's up to you but I never use auto pitch in any of the Emil's (1's and 3's don't have it). It's too slow (to react) and it's good airmanship to be able to control the complex engine functions. In a dive, dial down and reduce throttle to control speed. Throttle to nothing if need be and as you reach the bottom, pitch up as you climb. With experiance you'll know the engine note/rpm and not need to look at the rpm's as much. With some maps there are no 4's available, so get used to using manual pitch in combat. JMO.

+1 what he said.

Your ear/brain will memorize the different sound depending on rpm and after some time you will not only react, you will preeptively change the prop pitch / ata before you exceed the limits.

In addition be careful when flying the B-Variants in manual mode. Due to sound bug the rev sound are the same from 2000rpm upwards and sound like 2500 rpm in the non-b-variants.

jester_
Feb-19-2015, 08:10

I can see where Heiden is coming from, but my experience thus far has been pretty constant overrevving trying to leave the auto pitch on. It just doesn't react fast enough when I start a sharp dive. I've been getting the most success with dropping the pitch preemptively when I enter the dive, and then re enabling the auto pitch control (or pitching back up in the e-3) as I'm about to pull the trigger.

Now I just need to learn how to formation fly in the 109, and I'll be all set for online play :) I didn't realize how complicated WWII airplanes were. I thought the F-16 was complicated... :banghead:

PhilipWebb
Feb-19-2015, 09:52
Hello;
This has been a big problem, but what I have found that works for me is I dive a bit late as "normal", pitch back to about 9:30 and 9:45, throttle back to 0 RPMs
and dive on keeping the dive not too steep but not really shallow say bout 45-60 degrees depending on your range and height to your target. Line up and engage your target pull up as not to black out ( I have black out many times). Bring the pitch back up and throttle up to 2500 RPMs and restart the stalk and attack again.
The automation on the pitch is way too slow to help so go to manual.

Thank you for the read - Hope it may help.

von Webber - Luftwaffe Blue

Keenable
Feb-19-2015, 10:15
How do I zoom my view in so much like that?

In your game menu, bind a key for "Field of view +" available under Options --> Controls --> Camera

5./JG26_Peete
Feb-21-2015, 01:06
Pitty is if we set the engine sound to hard... we can not here teamspeak anymore. . So its more background now and then you kook youre engine.. :-(