PDA

View Full Version : Wannabe Bomber Pilot

Chesh49
Feb-20-2015, 07:15
Hi,

I'm currently learning the ropes in the Blennie tho tbo I'm really looking forward to the arrival of the Wimpy & maybe the Beaufighter (for a bit of speed & potential combat). As a newbie I'm unsure of the capabilities of my AI crew. Obviously in the real world my role would be to get the aircraft to the target & home (albeit I know I'll be cannon fodder for the 109s, 110s). My understanding is that the rear gunner will do his job without my jumping into his position (from what i've seen on Youtube) but what about the bomb-aimer? Is it necessary to use the autopilot on approach to the target & then take his position i.e. how much will he do? Sorry if this is a naive question or covered elsewhere & I've missed it :doh:

Many thanks,

Chesh

9./JG52 Mindle
Feb-20-2015, 07:26
Yep, you need to 'be' the bombardier also. fly on mode 22 auto pilot, jump into the bombardier seat and you can alter your course and aim the bombs from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RebelSqurl
Feb-20-2015, 07:33
In the Blenheim, low-level tactical bombing of precision ground targets can be done from the pilot's position, using the iron sight for aiming and a button/keybinding to drop bombs. Hold your line for about a second after release to get the bomb to aim true; otherwise, an early pullout will fling the bomb past your target point.

Higher-altitude level bombing does require setting up your autopilot (the "mode 22" as it's called) to hold your line straight and level, making only minor adjustments using keybindings or joystick controls, depending on your setup. The sight in the Blennie is dirt-simple, with knobs that you can adjust with your mouse from the bombardier's position to select your altitude and airspeed, but you can get decent results against larger targets (such as airfields) using it.

Best way to learn is to set up a session with a Bomber Group instructor. There's going to be a training meet-up on the ATAG server 2 this coming Saturday, maybe you can make plans to attend? --> http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15915

S! :salute: