PDA

View Full Version : OK --This is going to sound Stubid !!!

MOHAWK
May-15-2012, 20:12
OK --This is going to sound Stubid !!!----back to the dead horse of seeing the hard to find (distant aircraft target dots ) i read and did not save the link =sorry , but changing the tilt -up or down-of your monitor can change the way the monitor projects things to your eyes -I tilted mine up and and then -- found down tilt of a few degrees (say about 5 or so) helps me see the dots better ?? --- thats right Mohawk is Fucked up ???--but i am on a mission of finding the elusive distant a/c target dots , and i can now see them -- was good at just after dusk and late afternoon --but NOW -miday =also better- beleive it or not -visibilitydistance= 4 or 5 helped ...OK Now every body laugh ???---------but give it an honest try-(monitor tilt)- if you have prob with a/c target dots ==cant hurt......sorry to have wasted your time if no work ....i know there are some out there that have the distant a/c dot issue as i -DID-, just trying to give some things to try = So Shot Me..

ATAG_Snapper
May-15-2012, 21:31
Not stupid at all, IMHO. I haven't played with the distance thingy in config.ini but it's worth a look. Dunno about the tilt of the monitor, but if it works -- why not?? I used to run at very low res because the larger pixels made distant contacts a little easier to pick up.....but it was soooooo fugly I went back to 1920 x 1080 native resolution.

Using progressive bifocals with TrackIR was not good for my bleary old eyes. Looking for tiny dots while tilting my head frequently put the distant-vision or reading-distance part of the bifocals over the section of screen I was searching. I actually got a single-prescription pair of eyeglasses made that are optimized for the measured 33" from my Mark 1 eyeball to the LED monitor. No matter which direction I tilt my head now, the image on the monitor remains knife-sharp. Does it help my kill ratio? Nah. But at least I get a better look at the tracers flashing by my canopy now! :bgsmile:

Dutch
May-15-2012, 22:01
'Progressive bifocals'???

You mean varifocals, surely. :Grin:

As it happens, I'm a qualified optician, and what you need is a pair of specs specifically for computer use.

Sit in your normal comfortable Spit flying position, then get your Mrs. to measure the distance between your eyes and the screen. Then go visit your optician (ophthalmologist, optometrist, or whatever it is you call them over there) and say;

'I need a pair of specs for this distance!!!'.

Your friendly neighbourhood money maker will be only too pleased to advise. Then he'll take lots of money off you. Probably about $150 for something that cost him $3. But you'll have paid his golf club fees for the next year!

On the other hand, you won't have to fanny about when looking all over the sky with trackIR, wondering which bit of your specs you should be looking through.

Oh, erm.. specs are 'eyeglasses' over there, aren't they? Sorry! :Grin:

Edit: Oh you said that, sorry mate!! :blush!:

ATAG_Snapper
May-15-2012, 22:14
No worries, mate! :happy

I gather the term "progressive bifocals" refers to the fact there's no visible line running along the bottom third of your, uh, eyeglasses. Also, they can charge more for 'em than if they merely called them "varifocals". :bgsmile:

But the single prescription glasses really do help with the head tilting/TrackIR usage. I can even read the text in the chat windows now!

(although....sometimes I wished I couldn't....... :pouting: )

Doc
May-15-2012, 22:15
lol @ Dutch

I messed with all my settings and don't see contacts as good as before.

Dutch
May-15-2012, 22:22
I gather the term "progressive bifocals" refers to the fact there's no visible line running along the bottom third of your, uh, eyeglasses.

Yes siree, that's a 'varifocal'!! God knows how you'd cope following MrX wearing those doozies!! Ha!

Anyway, I should've read the the rest of your post before giving you 'professional advice'! But ...............:bgsmile:

Fried
May-16-2012, 06:49
My optician should be getting a call from me in the near future, I've always been lucky and had bloody good eyesite but when I hit the big five o last year it definately went down hill quicker than I would have liked and things are becoming a little bit blurry :doh!:

I changed my visibilitydistance setting straight to 5 from 3 and I have been seeing things a bit better, didnt try 4 but guess I should just to be certain which seems best for me.

One thing I also did, and this may sound strange but I opened my eyes :Grin: what I mean by that is I started using something I learnt riding motorcycles round race tracks and that was my peripheral vision, for those that dont know, its a technique where you look at the point where you want your bike to head, ie the exit of the corner but at the same time you train yourself to take in whats to the left and right of you at the same time, so you actually open your vision so to speak, I will stop now before I confuse myself.

ATAG_Knuckles
May-16-2012, 09:35
Mohawk: I'm gonna try that as well. Also changed my conf file and seem to have helped

as for the "spects" or "Testicles" as my father used to say

I have as pair specifically for computer, they are simply a 2X magnification which is perfect for the distance to my monitor, there very inexpensive.

Catseye
May-16-2012, 12:05
'Progressive bifocals'???

You mean varifocals, surely. :Grin:

As it happens, I'm a qualified optician, and what you need is a pair of specs specifically for computer use.

Sit in your normal comfortable Spit flying position, then get your Mrs. to measure the distance between your eyes and the screen. Then go visit your optician (ophthalmologist, optometrist, or whatever it is you call them over there) and say;

'I need a pair of specs for this distance!!!'.

Your friendly neighbourhood money maker will be only too pleased to advise. Then he'll take lots of money off you. Probably about $150 for something that cost him $3. But you'll have paid his golf club fees for the next year!

On the other hand, you won't have to fanny about when looking all over the sky with trackIR, wondering which bit of your specs you should be looking through.

Oh, erm.. specs are 'eyeglasses' over there, aren't they? Sorry! :Grin:

Edit: Oh you said that, sorry mate!! :blush!:

Hey Dutch,
I have so many specs. Distant vision sunglasses - distant vision to lie back and watch TV - near vision specs for reading only - progressive lenses for everyday use. Now, I'm in need of a pair set at the focal length to my computer so I can shoot more of you guys down.

Maybe you should go into the flight-sim specs order business?

I can send you a pair of frames and my prescription including distance . . . . . always looking for a deal :) but I think the postage would be horrendous.

Cheers,

Dutch
May-16-2012, 13:33
Maybe you should go into the flight-sim specs order business?

That's not a bad idea Cats! But I have to come clean, I qualified in 1984 and spent 18yrs total in the optical world but left the industry for another career in 1998.

Now I think about it, if I wanted to practice again I'd probably have to retake my exams.

Ha! That ain't gonna happen! :bgsmile:

Catseye
May-17-2012, 12:08
That's not a bad idea Cats! But I have to come clean, I qualified in 1984 and spent 18yrs total in the optical world but left the industry for another career in 1998.

Now I think about it, if I wanted to practice again I'd probably have to retake my exams.

Ha! That ain't gonna happen! :bgsmile:

Ahhhh, the trade-off between grey cells and macular cells. :bgsmile: