PDA

View Full Version : My first flight against the enemy! (MIG-15)

Injerin
Feb-26-2015, 23:03
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kzEskhuoK4

I made it home, it was a good flight.

ChiefRedCloud
Feb-26-2015, 23:23
Nice .... who won?

Chief

Injerin
Feb-27-2015, 00:01
It was a stale-mate, I evaded and made it home. I started the mission again and got one... Still new and working out the gun sight lol. Actually I'm still working out the start up lol. She is a lovely bird (got to love Belsimtek) its like having a spitty with a jet engine :P

RAF74_Buzzsaw
Feb-27-2015, 01:24
MiG-15 was designed to operate at altitudes over 30,000 ft and against the B-29 bomber. It was not primarily designed as an air superiority fighter.

It had a ceiling which was higher than the early F-86's, but not the F-86F.

In order to maximize your advantages, you should fight over 30,000 ft, (approx. 9000 meters) where you can use the superior climbrate and acceleration of the MiG.

At low altitudes, where you were fighting, the F-86 has most of the advantages... you would probably have had your nuts handed to you if you were against human opponents.

Avoid diving at very high speeds, the MiG did not have an all flying tail, and ran into control issues as it approached Mach.

The MiG also had issues with recovery from stalls... if you stall the aircraft, you may not pull out. (if this is modeled) Low speed turns etc. are not recommended.

MiG was primarily successful when used in the vertical at higher altitudes.

ChiefRedCloud
Feb-27-2015, 12:32
I recall in the old IL-2 mod for the Korean that the Mig was very easy to stall. I did this a few times before I learned ...

Chief

ATAG_Paranoid_Glitch
Feb-27-2015, 13:43
Fantastic stuff!

Injerin
Feb-27-2015, 18:46
MiG-15 was designed to operate at altitudes over 30,000 ft and against the B-29 bomber. It was not primarily designed as an air superiority fighter.

It had a ceiling which was higher than the early F-86's, but not the F-86F.

In order to maximize your advantages, you should fight over 30,000 ft, (approx. 9000 meters) where you can use the superior climbrate and acceleration of the MiG.

At low altitudes, where you were fighting, the F-86 has most of the advantages... you would probably have had your nuts handed to you if you were against human opponents.

Avoid diving at very high speeds, the MiG did not have an all flying tail, and ran into control issues as it approached Mach.

The MiG also had issues with recovery from stalls... if you stall the aircraft, you may not pull out. (if this is modeled) Low speed turns etc. are not recommended.

MiG was primarily successful when used in the vertical at higher altitudes.

I have already had those nutts handed to me with the stall situation of the MIG-15 lol.

Mudcat
Feb-28-2015, 23:31

These are very much modeled in it. Although haven't encountered an issue with low speed turns, throttle is slow to react so knowing that I just keep it blazing at all times haha

RAF74_Buzzsaw
Feb-28-2015, 23:53
It's too bad the F-86F was DCS's choice of model for this aircraft.

It actually was not available till 1952, and the earlier F-86E was in tougher against the MiG-15, with its lower climb and ceiling.

Would have been a better choice in my opinion for balance purposes... but maybe they only model the types they have in the museum.

The F-86F will probably be a superior aircraft, if both are modeled accurately.

Chuck_Owl
Mar-01-2015, 09:35
It's too bad the F-86F was DCS's choice of model for this aircraft.

It actually was not available till 1952, and the earlier F-86E was in tougher against the MiG-15, with its lower climb and ceiling.

Would have been a better choice in my opinion for balance purposes... but maybe they only model the types they have in the museum.

The F-86F will probably be a superior aircraft, if both are modeled accurately.

Honestly after a couple of fights I think they're on even terms. The MiG-15 climbs like a ROCKET.

RAF74_Buzzsaw
Mar-01-2015, 15:40
Honestly after a couple of fights I think they're on even terms. The MiG-15 climbs like a ROCKET.

The F-86F had a comparable climbrate... the early F-86's did not.

Chuck_Owl
Mar-01-2015, 16:18

Comparable, yes. But the MiG-15 will still outclimb the Sabre F, even if it's by a relatively small margin.

I found out during a couple of fights that this margin is not insignificant. We did a number of tests and that's our conclusion.

Injerin
Mar-02-2015, 19:17
Comparable, yes. But the MiG-15 will still outclimb the Sabre F, even if it's by a relatively small margin.

I found out during a couple of fights that this margin is not insignificant. We did a number of tests and that's our conclusion.

That Mig is a touchy sister, she will go into a stall quick expecially at low Alt. I agree with you, I'm just trying to find that sweet spot.

Mudcat
Mar-02-2015, 21:33
That Mig is a touchy sister, she will go into a stall quick expecially at low Alt. I agree with you, I'm just trying to find that sweet spot.

Just when I think I hit that sweet spot, I start rolling to the right :doh:

Injerin
Mar-03-2015, 00:34
Just when I think I hit that sweet spot, I start rolling to the right :doh:

Its called air brake and throttle back lol!

Kwiatek
Mar-03-2015, 06:40

Hmm not sure. With similar engine power Mig-15 was lighter at least 1500 kg then Sabre. So i think Sabre was only better at high speed handling, roll rate and was somewhere faster at low alts rest aututs belong to Mig15. So even F version got hard time with Migs ( and in DCS it is)

Mudcat
Mar-03-2015, 08:27
Its called air brake and throttle back lol!

you forgot step 3. cursing at the screen till you regain control. imo, it's the most import part, brake, throttle and curse :)