PDA

View Full Version : Airstart for G.50?

Broodwich
May-20-2012, 00:27
This plane takes about 10 minutes to warm up, and I was wondering if we could get an airstart for it. It doesnt need to be high or all that near the coast, but it is ridiculous in how long it takes. Ive taken to reading while it warms up, and my computer went into screen saver before it was done (it is set at 10 minutes).

I hate to ask for it but I don't have the patience to wait that long, and usually end up only flying one or two sorties before leaving

Doc
May-20-2012, 00:56
Try the BR.20.

:bgsmile:

Broodwich
May-20-2012, 01:05
Yeah well they dont get their wings blown off by friendly fighters now do they.

Italian fighters have been known to get that

Doc
May-20-2012, 01:19
Ha

That's not your fault. We can't qualify players before they purchase and join. Happens to everyone in the G.50. heh

Broodwich
May-20-2012, 02:40
I realize that. Think of it this way. Airstart for G.50s (or less used aircraft in general) gives more of an incentive for people to fly them. If more people fly them, they become a more common sight and less friendly fire incidents will happen.

Plus I wont have to wait 10 freakin minutes before i take off :happy

ATAG_Snapper
May-20-2012, 08:37
I realize that. Think of it this way. Airstart for G.50s (or less used aircraft in general) gives more of an incentive for people to fly them. If more people fly them, they become a more common sight and less friendly fire incidents will happen.

Plus I wont have to wait 10 freakin minutes before i take off :happy

Good points. Maybe hc_wolf can work that in with an upcoming mission -- sort've like an Easter egg for those who wouldn't consider flying one before this. :thumbsup:

Doc
May-20-2012, 10:52
I'm in favor of anything as long as it isn't making things arcade. Complex starts long flights are like charging high rent. It keeps the riff raff to a minimum.

:bgsmile:

Blackdog_kt
May-20-2012, 15:24
It's possible to do an accelerated warm up without damaging the engine.

After starting, you can close your oil and cowl flaps for a bit and while holding the brakes, gradually increase throttle by a little.

Once the engine starts "protesting", coughing and cutting out, that's your cue that the throttle setting you command is too high for the current temperature, so you back off a bit on the throttle until it stops.

A few seconds later you can try it again and you'll see you can give it more throttle until it starts cutting out. The purpose of throttling up is to accelerate the warm up.

When your oil temps are in the low 60s and your cylinder temps at 170+, you can set your oil rads to 50% or thereabouts, open your cowl flaps fully and give it full throttle for take-off.

It's all very similar to using choke on an air cooled motorbike and giving it a tiny bit of throttle while you are standing still, in order to get the engine to operating temperatures.

71st_AH_Eagle
Jun-28-2012, 11:22
I remember a time where we got about 6 G. 50's all flying in formation on an attack on Manston if I remember correctly. I think it was myself and mostly ATAG members doing the flying and it was pretty funny :)