PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane blind spot

Blue-lph
Mar-20-2015, 14:40
Hi guys. Is there any way to overcome the Hurricanes blind spot behind the pilot?

ATAG_Lolsav
Mar-20-2015, 15:03
Fly with a wingman? Use TeamSpeak for it.

Do you have trackir?

Vlerkies
Mar-20-2015, 15:04
Hello, with air combat of this era and many others this rings true.

never to 'fly straight and level for more than 30 seconds in the combat area,,, Sailor Malan

Just because you look behind and see nothing does not mean the enemy is not there, they will try and exploit your blind spot. You need to map that area regularly in your mind, no matter what plane you are flying.
Some have better rear view than others, but the principle remains the same.
:salute:

ATAG_Snapper
Mar-20-2015, 16:03
It's hard to add to the excellent advice above.

Per Lolsav, when I fly with a wingman we fly in a "combat spread" -- line abreast at the same altitude about 400 yards apart. It's easy to look out for each other's six, but as Lolsav says -- Teamspeak is vital for this to be really effective. This also sets you up to do the "Thatch Weave" defensive maneuvre which is very effective against faster opponents.

Per Vlerkies, when "lone wolfing" I climb and fly in a series of long S-turns while looking behind me. It's a PITA, but it's saved my virtual life many times.

The higher you fly, the fewer enemy that are above you to ambush you. In the ATAG Server the contrail level is conveniently at 23,000 feet. Flying those long S-turns at 22 angels gives you a far better chance at spotting someone above and behind you (making highly visible contrails). At 22 angels you are keeping a relatively low profle (no contrails) and can usually spot potential unsuspecting victims below you.

:)

No.54 Ghost (KL-G)
Mar-20-2015, 21:22
Hi guys. Is there any way to overcome the Hurricanes blind spot behind the pilot?

Since the Hurricane was first intended to be a lawnmower, my tip would be to chose an aircraft instead. I hear the spitfire is a fine choice. Not only can it get you airborne, but it also has engine power to keep it airborne. The Hurricane suffers a lot from having the same engine power as an uncharged 9 volt battery. The Hurricane should really only be seen at a dark corner of a museum with a tarp over it, and a sign saying "Not worthy of being here. I am slow and don´t look as cool as the other fighters of my age"

I hope Gromit doesn't see this haha :-P

5./JG26_Peete
Mar-21-2015, 14:10
Never fly strait in a war zone .... rule nr 1.

Gromit
Mar-22-2015, 06:58
Since the Hurricane was first intended to be a lawnmower, my tip would be to chose an aircraft instead. I hear the spitfire is a fine choice. Not only can it get you airborne, but it also has engine power to keep it airborne. The Hurricane suffers a lot from having the same engine power as an uncharged 9 volt battery. The Hurricane should really only be seen at a dark corner of a museum with a tarp over it, and a sign saying "Not worthy of being here. I am slow and don´t look as cool as the other fighters of my age"

DAMN YOU Ghost! :grrr:

:-P

Hazza
Mar-22-2015, 07:16
I always fly with the canopy open and this way you always have a good view behind! Even if it is rather loud!!!!!
Therefore, I would suggest flying with your canopy open to gauge for yourself whether this helps!!

Well as a lawn mover, I'm sure it shot down the majority of enemy aircraft during the BoB. Therefore, I believe a cut above the rest!

pitt
Mar-23-2015, 00:35
[QUOTE=No.54 Ghost (KL-G) The Hurricane should really only be seen at a dark corner of a museum with a tarp over it, and a sign saying "Not worthy of being here. I am slow and don´t look as cool as the other fighters of my age"

[/QUOTE]

Do you know that during the battle of britain more huns where bagged by Hurries then by Spits?!

No.54 Ghost (KL-G)
Mar-23-2015, 08:42
Yes I know that. I also happen to know that ther was a lot more hurricanes than spits available. If there was more spits around I'm pretty sure the hurricane would have a lower kill ratio. :salute:

Gromit
Mar-23-2015, 11:39
Lighten up guys, he's having a laugh! :P

sw1ive
Mar-23-2015, 13:04
Never fly strait in a war zone .... rule nr 1.

Never fly strait in a war zone, for time more of two seconds... rule nr1

nr2 rule... ever do the rule nr1... LOL

I got never kill the Ghost pilot... How can I kill a ghost... he stay alive for ever... or he is just dead ???

I do not know ...

No.54 Ghost (KL-G)
Mar-23-2015, 13:07
Guess you have to know me. I have been bashing the hurricane and anyone who attempt to get it off the ground since the beginning. Me and gromit have been at it for a long time haha. It's just fun and games :)

Gromit
Mar-23-2015, 13:42
You have to show sympathy for Ghost

He's resigned to flying the hairdressers plane, sorry the receptionist at the hairdressers plane, he just can't cope with hairy chested men's aircraft you have to grab by the scruff and wrestle into submission!

So instead of abusing and denigrating him, take a moment, and ponder how he feels when everyone points out how damn cool the Hurribird is! :devilish:

No.54 Ghost (KL-G)
Mar-23-2015, 14:01
Hahaha. Well one thing that makes the hurricane stand out is that it doesn't matter how much throttle you give, it still manages to stand still in the air. If it's windy, it can even go reverse. Half the time you guys survive a fight is because the 109 pilots don't have the hart to shot at something that can't even move forward. :)

1lokos
Mar-23-2015, 16:31
Maybe this:

http://www.williammaloney.com/Aviation/VintageWingsOfCanada/HawkerHurricane/images/19HawkerHurricaneCanopy.jpg

:)

7./JG26_SMOKEJUMPER
Mar-28-2015, 23:11

Oh Ghosty I have such a soft spot for those old heaps I've got hurt feelings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lg51dzWHJE

No.54 Ghost (KL-G)
Mar-29-2015, 03:56
Don´t be sad buddy. In fact the Hurricane never wanted to be an aircraft from the start. It was meant to help old people to walk. It was actually first called "The cane" and looked like this

But then a war came and the British needed an aircraft instead, so they put guns on it and a propeller. It was all done in a hurry, hence the name "The hurricane"
I know what you think... This is not what i have been told before. Well, this is the correct version of history that most historians agree on. :salute:

5./JG26_Peete
Mar-29-2015, 05:22
We pilots sind more afreets ofs sthe Hurricane then fur there Spittyfire's... Heil .. bleu.. :-)

ATAG_Flare
Mar-31-2015, 22:48
At least the Hurricane isn't a tiger moth . . . :D The Moth can be outrun by a U-Boat if it turns into the wind :D

EDIT: Don't complain to me about the Hurricane being shot down too much. I fly the Blennie :recon:

Flare

jester_
Apr-06-2015, 04:45
Since the Hurricane was first intended to be a lawnmower

roflmao

The best advice I could give based on my limited Hurricane experience is definitely long wide horizontal S turns and keeping your head on a swivel.