PDA

View Full Version : For the musicians amongst us. Who are your musical influences?

Peaveywolf
May-25-2012, 05:32
Ok, I will kick this one of, as I find it interesting to know why you started to play guitar or .............. ( fill in the blank ;) )
I have loved Rock and Metal since my heady youth back in 1981. It started with bands such as Saxon, Van Halen, Maiden, Priest, The Scorpions, Accept, Motorhead (ofc), AC/DC, Rainbow, and moved on through the 80's with a bit of Hair Metal ( Ratt, Crue )and Thrash (Megadeth, Anthrax, Metallica ). Never really got into the nineties stuff, with the exception of Pearl Jam and Soundgarden. My heart lies with NWOBHM, simple yet effective.
I picked up the guitar firstly when I was 16, but had neither the patience nor the aptitiude for it. It took me til the year 2000 to finally make the jump and go out and buy a cheap Epiphone SG. Obviously, my main two influences were Angus Young and Edward Van Halen. Both completely different styles. Since then, I have self taught and written my own music for my own pleasure. I am still no where near as good as I want to be, are we ever?

klaw123
May-25-2012, 08:51
Hi, it has been suggested that I start a new thread for all the musicans out there in ATAG land. I started one and then saw this Off-topic section.

Being new here, I hope this posting is not inappropriate.
I play both bass and guitar, bass is my stock in trade. I have been on the gig circuit for over 40 years and played to between one man and his dog, up to about 7000 revelers. My current band is called The Legendary Vertigo Tarts, a 4 man line up with ages from 15 to 55. My most famous band was called Zoot Alors, if you google it you should find it no problem, maybe even get to listen to the vynil if you use YouTube.

I have a collection of basses and guitars, Gibson ES335 semi thinline, Gibson Les Paul Classic 1960 re issue, American Fender Jazz Bass, Mexican Strat, American Strat Plus, Washburn Fretless bass, OLP Tony Levin 5 string bass, Ibanez AGB200 Artcore bass. My amps are a Mesa Rect-O-Verb 50 combo, and Trace Elliot AH100 bass head with a Trace Elliot 4x10 uprated to 800w max RMS.

Being a senior person, my musical tastes reflect the 1970's/1980 mostly. Queen/Genesis/Peter Gabriel/John Martyn/Yes/Pink Floyd/Thomas Dolby are some of my influences.

Why not add your story to this thread, it could be interesting, and maybe open up an ATAG international musical project!! Who knows where it goes.

I look forward to reading your stories.

Cheers
ATAG_klaw123

Dutch
May-25-2012, 09:31
Got 1st guitar at 10yrs old, when T.Rex and Alice Cooper were popular, but only really started teaching myself for real and had a few lessons a couple of years later when I discovered Zeppelin, Pink Floyd and Hendrix. Then when I saw 'The Song Remains the Same' when it was released in '76, I sort of made it a mission in life to get as good as Pagey.

I'm still not as good as Pagey! Haha!

Then like everyone else I was gobsmacked when I heard Eddie VH's 'widdley widdley widdley, wheeee, neeeooowww, boom, wheeee!' stuff, but found I'd rather stick to a more traditional blues/rock approach.
I love Motorhead, but it's not the kind of music I like to play.

Was in quite a few semi-pro covers bands but also had a day job, and suffered musical burnout as a result of three gigs per week at weekends plus rehearsals and doing own roadying (the big killer) on top of a 9-5 job.

So now I just play for myself in the house. Done some writing of my own but don't think I'm much good at it, but made a home recording of some original stuff with me playing all the instruments except the drum machine thingy, so guitar, bass, keyboards (badly) and my terrible whiny vocals.

So, I'd never play in a covers band again, but I'm not much cop with writing stuff, so I'm effectively retired from music. :)

Have Two Jap Strats, an Epiphone Elite Les Paul (coz I'm stingy), boss ME6 multi FX, Line6 Pod, Marshall AVT275, and an old Laney Linebacker 30 practice amp.

But I've had quite a bit of gear stolen over the years, like me ole cry-baby and a board of ten Boss FX pedals and an old WEM ER40 amp and speaker cab, sniff.....

Oh and I have a couple of acoustics, an old Tanglewood and a chinese thing I picked up for Ј50 which is unbelievably good for the price.

I've always subscribed to Mr Keller's view, that 99.99% of audiences couldn't tell the difference between a Ј50 and a Ј5000 guitar, so why risk theft/damage? :Grin:

ATAG_Septic
May-25-2012, 09:49
Rock Star Klaw!

My musical journey;

I never got picked to play either the recorder or symbol at school so began my musical career aged 11 in 1971 when I was ordered to play a bugle. I left it on the bus on my way home and never saw it again.

I bought my first single at around the same time. Chicory Tip, I'll leave that along with the whole brief Glitter Rock phase there.

I took an interest in rock bands. It was habit amongst us youngsters to write the name of our favorite rock band on the back of our sawn-off denim jackets. Regrettably, and I still feel the embarrassment, I chose QUEEN, which I wore with pride until I deduced it was the cause of several inexplicable good kickings. (Queen being colloquial for gay)

My tastes swiftly progressed through Yes, Hawkwind and the like until I saw The Sensational Alex Harvey Band Live! He had a hell of a party on stage, downed a full bottle of whiskey, kissed some women and was consequently my hero. So I decided to become a rock legend myself. I obtained the obligatory generic electric guitar of some sort but I never had an amp or a book or a lesson so only got as far as playing the first few notes of Smoke on the Water on one string.

During the latter seventies I began a singing career with the Nottingham Forest Football Club supporters in the famous Trent End. I performed with several thousand others on our famous hit 'We've got the Whole World in Our Hands'. However, we only briefly conquered Europe and I eventually retired.

Amongst this new culture I decided to enjoy music I had arrogantly discarded on rocker-cultural grounds. Previously despised mod style bands such The Jam, The Stranglers. Ska and Northern Soul became the music of my Salad Days.

I now hold no musical prejudice and enjoy music more than ever before but I'll probably never play the symbol, recorder, bugle or guitar again....

Ive bored myself now so I'll stop.

The End.

Septic.

ATAG_Knuckles
May-25-2012, 09:53
Always Loved music, but late 50s and very early 60s, there were no bands just singers, (Paul Anka, Bobby Rydell, Dion, ect) and I couldn't sing. Then along came the Beatles, They were a band (what a concept) well I could do that, so first guitar was 11 years old. Several "Garage" bands in the 60s, switched to Bass cause guitar players then were a dime a dozen, which has haunted me today, while mainly a Lead player I seem to always get relegated to Bass, which actually I thoroughly enjoy as long as I have a competent drummer, we will set you up with a good grove.

Two main bands , late 60s TOUCH: theres an album out there you can sometimes find in bargain bins.

Early 70s "Fortress" Recording contract with Capitol (EMI) in Europe, One album released with a year and a half tour throughout Europe, second album recorded but never released (very long story)

Today Worship/Praise Group at Church, Home studio (Pro-Tools)

Bass= Carvin custom built 5 string through a SWR
Guitar = Jackson through Marshall

Oh yeah ShoBud Pedal Steel