PDA

View Full Version : Are you a muso, do you play in a rock band?

klaw123
May-25-2012, 08:43
Hi, it has been suggested that I start a new thread for all the musicans out there in ATAG land.

Being new here, I hope this posting is not inappropriate.
I play both bass and guitar, bass is my stock in trade. I have been on the gig circuit for over 40 years and played to between one man and his dog, up to about 7000 revelers. My current band is called The Legendary Vertigo Tarts, a 4 man line up with ages from 15 to 55. My most famous band was called Zoot Alors, if you google it you should find it no problem, maybe even get to listen to the vynil if you use YouTube.

I have a collection of basses and guitars, Gibson ES335 semi thinline, Gibson Les Paul Classic 1960 re issue, American Fender Jazz Bass, Mexican Strat, American Strat Plus, Washburn Fretless bass, OLP Tony Levin 5 string bass, Ibanez AGB200 Artcore bass. My amps are a Mesa Rect-O-Verb 50 combo, and Trace Elliot AH100 bass head with a Trace Elliot 4x10 uprated to 800w max RMS.

Being a senior person, my musical tastes reflect the 1970's/1980 mostly. Queen/Genesis/Peter Gabriel/John Martyn/Yes/Pink Floyd/Thomas Dolby are some of my influences.

Why not add your story to this thread, it could be interesting, and maybe open up an ATAG international musical project!! Who knows where it goes.

I look forward to reading your stories.

Cheers
ATAG_klaw123

ATAG_Snapper
May-25-2012, 08:49
Good stuff, Klaw! Although my ears are made of tin, I can play a great iPhone! :Grin:

However, we do have some very distinguished ATAG'ers as well as honoured Forum members who share with you some serious musical credentials. I'm looking forward to this! :thumbsup:

Snapper

ATAG_Knuckles
May-25-2012, 09:57
Theres already a good thread on this, couldn't find it though

Keller: do you remember where is is ????????

Bliss ????????

Dutch ahhh never mind he's not up yet :bgsmile:

Dutch
May-25-2012, 10:00
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually, I think Keller posted that in the member's section Knucks.

Catseye
May-25-2012, 17:28
Yup, bass-player here also.
Some guitar & keyboard.

Started mid-60's with an original American Jazz-Bass 1965 issue and 1965 Fender Bassman amp 2x12 - black with silver grille plus extra old 2x12 cab cream in colour.

Life got in the way and now retired and playing Godin BG4 and Godin Semi-Acoustic Fretless. Genz-Benz head 900 watts with Mesa Boogie 2x12+horn cab.

Loads of fun.

ATAG_Knuckles
May-25-2012, 19:03
Cats: Yep familiar with all that, was that the 50 watt or 100 watt Bassman

Personally i dint start off with anything close to the Fender Jazz, it was a very cheap jap bass (Crown) was the brand, had the shape of a Gibson 335, bright red with nylon type flat wound strings. I though I was in heaven

Oh yeah played out of a Sears Silvertone amp :bgsmile:

Catseye
May-26-2012, 13:42
Cats: Yep familiar with all that, was that the 50 watt or 100 watt Bassman

Personally i dint start off with anything close to the Fender Jazz, it was a very cheap jap bass (Crown) was the brand, had the shape of a Gibson 335, bright red with nylon type flat wound strings. I though I was in heaven

Oh yeah played out of a Sears Silvertone amp :bgsmile:

It was the 50 watt. Could those speakers ever flap with everything on full.
I wanted to step up to VOX but the price over here was very high. So TRAINER became the next best thing. BIG cabs with 8-10's I think they were. Still big power was 200 watts.

Wish I still had the Jazz - valued now over $4,000 U.S.

Cheers

ATAG_Knuckles
May-26-2012, 14:27
I actually found a 50 watt at a garage sale, bought it for 25 bucks. Sold it dont know why (that Idiot thing) it actually made an excellent guitar amp as well.

the majority of my playing back in the 70s was the proverbial Acoustic 360

ATAG_EvangelusE
May-27-2012, 13:20
I started playing Guitar back in the early '60's and I'm still gigging as a Lead Guitarist. I was pro during the 70's playing mostly covers and travelled all over Europe and the Far East. Around 1993 I joined a Country Band, originally for the money as the band were out 5 nights a week all over the UK and I needed lots of gigs (and money).

The Country Music circuit here in the UK is massive and has a very large following. I really enjoyed the gigs, festivals, etc. Country music takes its influences from a wide range of genres and the technical demands of being a good 'country' player are greater than probably any other genre so I am still with the same band though I dep for others.

As for guitars - I have owned the best believe me but I am down to my favourite three - Fender Telecaster, Ibanez Vintage Artist 2618 - 1978, and my Ibanez - AS100 (similar to a 335).

And of course....a proper amp.....custom boutique with 'valves' (or 'tubes' as you call em the USA)

ATAG_Snapper
May-27-2012, 16:31
I'm afraid we call 'em "tubes" here in Canuckland, too. At least, those of us who know what they are! LOL

As a kid I remember when the old black 'n white went on the fritz Dad would open up the back (pretty dusty!!!), pull a few out, then off to the hardware store to test them and replace the burned out one.

Can you still find replacements locally for tubes or is that an online adventure?

Dutch
May-27-2012, 16:57
As a kid I remember when the old black 'n white went on the fritz Dad would open up the back (pretty dusty!!!), pull a few out, then off to the hardware store to test them and replace the burned out one.

:hitit2:

Or at least, my Dad used to, with exceptionally good results usually! :Grin:

My Marshall AVT 275 is a 'hybrid', with valve pre-amp and solid state power stage. I've had the amp for ten years, but haven't had cause to replace the valve as yet.

Prior to that I used a Carlsbro 50w head which was all valve, but had no pre-amp, so I had to be loud enough to break windows before I'd get that warm break-up valves give.

I'm betting that guitar amplifiers are probably the last bastion of tube technology, but so far there's no substitute. Even with technology like my Line6 pod, which digitally emulates classic valve sounds, it doesn't quite 'hit the spot' somehow..........

ATAG_Knuckles
May-27-2012, 16:58
Snapper: cripes I remember that as well, a big tester with book of cross reference and bins of tubes in the bottom. My Marshall has tubes, which of course "Guitar Center" has in stock. :hpyclp:

ATAG_Snapper
May-27-2012, 17:33
Dad would have me come along (eagerly, I might add -- this was "guy stuff") so that "someday I could teach MY kids how to change a dud tube". Of course, I have no idea how they'd fit in a flat screen TV! :bgsmile:

ATAG_Knuckles
May-27-2012, 18:13
I think I've posted this before but its certainly still worth a giggle. About 1968-69 Mama Joe's recording studio Los Angeles California

16 years old

Robo.
May-28-2012, 03:13
I started playing Guitar back in the early '60's and I'm still gigging as a Lead Guitarist. I was pro during the 70's playing mostly covers and travelled all over Europe and the Far East. Around 1993 I joined a Country Band, originally for the money as the band were out 5 nights a week all over the UK and I needed lots of gigs (and money).

Hi mate, great to see that so many pilots are guitar players, I often wondered wonder why is that.. You're a great pilot I bet you shred the guitar, too. :hpyclp: If you still gig and if you happen to play around Notts let me know please! :thumbsup:

You're right, so many great bands in the UK. I was out at Rufford Abbey park with my girlfriend yesterday to get some rare tan in the British sun, and there was a car show (Jag classic cars) and this dixieland band played in there, 4 guys, bass trumpet trombone and guitar. The gutarist was so good. Awesome stuff...

I play a 'vintage hot rod' '57 strat and just recently, I bought my old guitar back - MiM '72 telecaster custom. Great guitar this paticular one. I only play a little bit at the moment and I only have a small amp, Fender champ 600 with replacement jensen speaker. Nice little tube amp, warm sound you can't get out of any solid state.

ATAG_EvangelusE
May-28-2012, 05:01
Great picture Knuckles, rare to see a Gibson Bass as most tended to go for the Fenders! I will see if I can find some pics of my early days in the late 60's when my only guitar was a '66 Les Paul 'Black Beauty' Custom - I wish I had that today - I would sell it and make a friggin' fortune, it cost me Ј200 back then ..:Grin:

I sold it and bought a '60's Cherry SG Standard which is another favourite of mine.

The Telecaster may not have the looks of the more sophisticated solid body guitars but, for me, the Telecaster is probably the all time great solid body guitar design. Simple construction, play well, easy to maintain and not difficult to make so very affordable. You can just about use it for any style.

Though you cannot beat a 'Tube' amp for live work, those 'amp modellers' such as the POD, Tonelab, GNX's, etc are great in the studio. I know a lot of players who use them 'live' straight into a PA and get excellent sounds from them.

ATAG_Knuckles
May-28-2012, 09:09
The "Tele" I agree you can do just about anything with that guitar, but certainly doesn't get recognition others get.

SG: errrr had a 62 and sold it to finance a guitar I had Gibson custom make, (Yeah I really though I was that good :bgsmile:)

SG body all white, 3 humbuckers, schaller tuning pegs, ebony neck, Bigsby Whammy, all gold plated.

biggest piece of crap, sounded crummy would not stay in tune. The neck cracked when I opened the case right after I got it off the airplane, touring somewhere in Finnland, sold it soon after for almost nothing. ahhh stirring up old memories

EnavgelusE get those old pics out what a hoot

Catseye
May-28-2012, 12:35
I remember that great mellow-grindy sound of the old tube amps. Nothing like a tube analogue sound of the 60's - 70's.

The Fender head weighed twice as much as the cab - great big transformer delivering a huge 50 watts.

For my current amp I was looking for something very portable and that has tubes - only todays technology could deliver both portability and tubes together. So I settled on a Genz-Benz 900 watt Streamliner. Three tube, six stage gain coupled with a solid state back end. I can dial in the tube pre to give total mellow-buzz if required or dial in the solid state pre for clear and crisp digital sound. I'm quite pleased to get the old sound back. I can put the head in a laptop bag and carry my bass at the same time. The cab is another thing though. :)

Here's a pic of me back in the day. Which one is me? Can't recognize that fellow anymore. :)

ATAG_Knuckles
May-28-2012, 14:15
Cats::: love that old 60s stuff, great decade back then. I certainly have some wonderful memories that will last me a life time.

Catseye
May-29-2012, 20:49
Cats::: love that old 60s stuff, great decade back then. I certainly have some wonderful memories that will last me a life time.

Ain't that the truth!!

Me too. :clappy

klaw123
May-30-2012, 04:44
Hi mate, great to see that so many pilots are guitar players, I often wondered wonder why is that.. You're a great pilot I bet you shred the guitar, too. :hpyclp: If you still gig and if you happen to play around Notts let me know please! :thumbsup:

Hi Robo, I too live in Notts, am giging all around the local area in the next 2 months.Exotic locations such as Horsley Woodhouse, Jacksdale, Fritchley. Alvaston Castle, Basford and Netherfield. If you're up for it maybe we could meet up at a gig?

Cheers
Klaw123

Robo.
May-30-2012, 07:01
Hi Robo, I too live in Notts, am giging all around the local area in the next 2 months.Exotic locations such as Horsley Woodhouse, Jacksdale, Fritchley. Alvaston Castle, Basford and Netherfield. If you're up for it maybe we could meet up at a gig?

Cheers
Klaw123

Hi Klaw! Of course, of course! Septic mentioned to me that there is another pilot from Notts. PM me the details and days when you gig, we arrange something. What kind of music do you play?

ATAG_EvangelusE
Jun-07-2012, 09:12
SG: errrr had a 62 and sold it to finance a guitar I had Gibson custom make, (Yeah I really though I was that good :bgsmile:)

SG body all white, 3 humbuckers, schaller tuning pegs, ebony neck, Bigsby Whammy, all gold plated.

biggest piece of crap, sounded crummy would not stay in tune. The neck cracked when I opened the case right after I got it off the airplane..........

That's the problem with Mahogany necks and why I prefer Maple. I have seen many mahogany necks break at the heel. What a shame it happened to your Custom SG, there was a time when I really wanted one of those.

What a coincidence, I was gigging during the Queens Jubilee celebrations at a local festival and saw two 'broken neck' incidents, one an SG and the other an electro Acoustic both of which got knocked off their stands when the stage crew were busy preparing the change over. As soon as I finish my Guitars are in there cases but some folks just plonk them on the stand and walk off leaving them connected to the jack lead.......you can guess what happened and it did!

ATAG_Knuckles
Jun-07-2012, 14:15
Amen to all that !!!!!!

71st_AH_Eagle
Jun-28-2012, 23:28
Let's see. What musical instruments do I play? I play: piano, guitar, tuba, euphonium, trombone, mariamba, timpani, drums (not drum set), bass guitar, and very little flute (I'm trying to persuade one of my friends to teach me how) plus I am only 16 years of age. My essentially main 3 instruments that I play are: piano, guitar, and tuba.

I've played piano the longest with a couple things that I have written myself for piano (performed one at a talent show at a cruise ship 5 years ago and I got second place out of all performers). If I had to drop all my instruments but one, this one would continue going strong.

Guitar: I've been playing it off and on for 3 years and mostly either acoustic or classical guitar (I utterly hate electric) and recently with one of my good friends, we wrote a song for a morning devotional during a service project that I went on. Several people afterwards came and told us how wonderful it was.

Tuba: I'm in my school band and I was the only underclassmen tuba player in my school's advance band. I've once brought a tuba on to teamspeak and I will do again if people want me to. I tried out for drum major this year (the person conducting the marching band) and there were two reasons why I think I didn't get it: I am naturally shy in real life but I'm working on it and I'm too good of a tuba player to sacrifice my marching.

Any other questions about my musical knowledge or skills?

Sorry if this came out cocky, I did not intend so while typing this.

ATAG_Knuckles
Jun-29-2012, 09:15
Humble Guy :thumbsup:

Dutch
Jun-29-2012, 22:29
Humble Guy :thumbsup:

I thought the band was called 'Humble Pie'?

ATAG_Knuckles
Jun-30-2012, 10:03
I dont need no doctor !!! Oh Yeah !!!!!:thumbsup:

71st_AH_Eagle
Jul-01-2012, 22:43
Why does it occur when I post, the subject is derailed?

Орел

ATAG_Knuckles
Jul-02-2012, 10:31

Орел

Its called "Welcome to the ATAG forums, no thin skined folkes here !!! unlike the banana forums where people get downright NASTY, here you just get "Poked Fun At"

your turn now !! We can Take what we dish out :devilish:

Catseye
Jul-02-2012, 10:43

Орел

I had a "derail" once also. Pre-1960 - wonderful instrument but it made the dogs bark so had to give it up. :mullet:

ATAG_Knuckles
Jul-02-2012, 10:47
I had a "derail" once also. Pre-1960 - wonderful instrument but it made the dogs bark so had to give it up. :mullet:

See Stealth : my point exactly :thumbsup:

71st_AH_Eagle
Jul-06-2012, 19:31
:grrr: please call me Eagle. I honestly really can't deal with being called stealth. Next time someone calls me stealth, I'll bring this out:
http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2010/9/3/bee7cca4-3755-47f6-8b11-e9e53605ab87.jpg

(sighs and wishes that he wasn't as socially challenged as he is)

Dutch
Jul-06-2012, 19:35
:grrr: please call me Eagle. I honestly really can't deal with being called stealth. Next time someone calls me stealth, I'll bring this out:
http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2010/9/3/bee7cca4-3755-47f6-8b11-e9e53605ab87.jpg

(sighs and wishes that he wasn't as socially challenged as he is)

Well, why not just call yourself 'Eagle' then? :D

Nice tuba launcher by the way. How far can it launch a lemon, or other citrus fruit?

Robo.
Jul-07-2012, 05:09
I dont need no doctor !!! Oh Yeah !!!!!:thumbsup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mq8dwIuKLRo

Exactly. Mayer and Scofield :thumbsup: Both as amazing as Ray.

Why are you talking about an Eagle. Haven't seen one here. :)

ATAG_Knuckles
Jul-07-2012, 10:42
cool version: or perhaps thats more like the original. Humble Pie is the only version I have heard, but I'm sure theirs was not the orginal

Thanks for that Robo

71st_AH_Eagle
Jul-08-2012, 21:16
There is a simple answer to why I didn't pick the forum name "Eagle." It's too American and I would often be mistaken if I went by that. Farber for example, thought I was someone else when I talked to him about joining squads on teamspeak when I had my name as Eagle. That's why my name is different then what I go by.

Орел (This also may add to the confusion)

Dutch
Jul-08-2012, 21:38
OK, well how about 'Eagle Beagle' then?

If 'Stealth' offends you so much, why have it as part of your 'Tag'?

Call yourself 'Bugle Beagle Meagle Eagle', and you'll have no cause to complain.

:idea:

71st_AH_Eagle
Jul-09-2012, 01:34
I have Stealth in my tag name due to the fact of that someone else had used the name Eagle as their name online for IL-2 Hyperlobby. Also, I was planning on founding a squad with Stealth as the tag. I don't know what I presently plan to do but several people know me as Eagle with my tag above but others who do not know me as well will not know it's me if I went by Eagle. (Sighs) I wish I could be a bit more normal then my encentric self normally. I am extremely different from my peers and I wished that I had a good friend during my middle school (also known as a junior high in some places) years rather than being bullied into isolation. Sorry about the rant, just something that not very many people know. If you have any questions about me, go ahead and ask, I'll answer them to my fullest ability as of now.

Shall remain patient for the world,
Орел

Peaveywolf
Jul-09-2012, 04:32
I love Lectric ;)

ATAG_Knuckles
Jul-09-2012, 10:43
Did I miss something here : ????? :goofy

71st_AH_Eagle
Jul-09-2012, 21:58
Did I miss something here : ????? :goofy

All you missed Knuckles, is me getting more depressed and I having an increased longing for "normalcy" and becoming "relaxed." So in truth, nothing too much. :ind:

Орел

Hope shall never fade with all the stars and dreams among us.

ATAG_Septic
Jul-10-2012, 06:01
OK, well how about 'Eagle Beagle' then?

If 'Stealth' offends you so much, why have it as part of your 'Tag'?

Call yourself 'Bugle Beagle Meagle Eagle', and you'll have no cause to complain.

:idea:

I had a proper chuckle at that, thanks :)

Septic.

Doc
Jul-10-2012, 09:11
:PP

Tonester
Aug-27-2012, 19:22
Hey all...singer guitarist myself...currently with an original project named Beltane Fire in Perth West Australia..been playing in bands for 20 odd years...last band was (arguably) the best Slade Tribute act in the world..Almost Slayed...(check out you tube if its your thing)...i can say that comfortably as there are only about four or five, and none of them got the vocals right..emulating Noddy Holder is nigh on impossible...i played Dave Hill...have had so much gear over the years...some good, some bad...one or two 'what the hell was i thinking when i sold THAT'....currently using...though not all at once lol

1980 Greco Ace Frehley 3pu Cherryburst LPC 1986 MIJ Squire Butterscotch Telecaster
1988 Burny 3pu Silver Metalflake LPC 1990 Greco Korina Flying V
1991 Fenix Blue Metalflake Strat 1996 Epi Flametop Cherry EDS 1275 Double Neck
2004 Martinez Black Acoustic 2006 Epi 3pu Black Beauty LPC
2007 Epi Ace Frehley 3pu Cherryburst LPC 2009 Maton EM325C
2012 Epi Ace Frehley Budokan 3pu Cherryburst LPC...Mid 80s Laney 50 watt valve head
1971 Soundcity Concord 1991 Marshall 9000 series 50/50 Valve Power Amp
1991 Hafler Rackmount Valve preamp 1989 Digitech GSP5 Rackmount Multieffects
1992 Korg A4 multieffects pedal 2004 Vox Tonelab SE (awesome bit of kit)
2004 Marshall MG412 Cab 2006 Marshall 1960A Cab...and various other noname cabinets with a mixture of Celestions and Plessys....also various pedals...be they treble boosts, distortion, wah, volume, phaser and all kinds of other crap....hmm...after writing all this i think i best upgrade my contents insurance lol....all this stuff comes under the heading of 'Much to my wifes Disgust!'....unless they are musos as well...girls just dont get it...one must aquire and horde...its in a musos nature...