PDA

View Full Version : My guncam video

ATAG_Headshot
May-25-2012, 17:20
I have seen a few other people do some guncam vids as of late and have loved watching them. I figured that this could be a fun project to learn a lot more about video editing and animated video effects so I went and flew a bunch of quick single player missions and got a ton of footage from that.

Unfortunately due to limitations in the flight sim I wasn't able to really change my camera's point of view to a wing mount or anything like that so everything is straight on. I did some research and guncams in Bf 109's were very rare, but there was precedence for it. As many guncams were actually activated by the trigger the clips I use all start with the guns firing and then go for a few seconds after the firing stops, and have no cross fade in between.

I made five separate tracks all with different video effects to get the feel for five different camera's, then in some of the clips I also changed brightness/darkness, contrast, blur etc during the clip at certain times dynamically such as when the guns fire or when flying through a vapor trail to try amplify some of the effects as well.

The audio was an edited song that was made to sound like really old vinyl and a browning and bomb sound effect from www.freefx.co.uk. Oddly enough the browning sound was almost identical to an old German news reel that I found on the Bf 110, which uses the same guns as the BF 109. It doesn't sound like a cannon and sounds kind of weak but that is actually pretty much the sound they dubbed in back in the day. I dubbed it all in over the video and as with actually guncam footage at the time the sound isn't always synced perfectly (on purpose). Unfortunately I couldn't find a good low quality warbird engine sound to add quietly underneath, but the effect is still decent with just the music and gun sounds, and on some of the old footage you often can't hear the engine anyways either.

It is available in 1080p. I rendered it in top quality to make it look like almost no quality ;)

Anyways here is my attempt at doing a guncam video using IL-2 Cliffs of Dover, let me know what you think!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYzlhmViyvE

ATAG_Septic
May-25-2012, 17:41
Great stuff Headshot! I agree some slightly mismatched background engine sounds would add to the atmosphere, but then some of the shots might be more effective with no sound at all? There were a couple of short shots that I could have mistaken for the real thing, brilliant.

I struggle to find the time to watch these creations and am mystified about how you find the time to create them.

Thanks for sharing,

Septic.

Atreides
May-25-2012, 20:12
Nice editing. The vague black and white scenes were especially very realistic. Thanks for posting this.

Doc
May-26-2012, 04:17
That is fantastic!

ATAG_Snapper
May-26-2012, 07:20
Excellent footage, Headshot! It was cool seeing some of the bale outs and chute openings. :thumbsup:

ChiefRedCloud
May-26-2012, 18:55
Nice ....... :thumbsup::hpyclp:

Dowly
May-27-2012, 10:33
Nice one Headshot! :thumbsup:

Re: positioning the camera, I'm currently compiling 4th part of my guncam series from
tracks recorded on the ATAG server and that forced me to find a way to record the footage
from inside the cockpit and not have anything obstructing the view.

What I did was I moved the position of the camera with the mouse to the left of the
gunsight and then zoomed in all the way to the windshield. This works, as long as you're
not maneuvering too much (or else the head moves and the struts, nose etc. comes into
the shot). Recording like this, you can play around by panning the camera slightly
to make the camera be off-center. ;)

Here's a still from the video, showing the off-center camera:

I like the use of sounds in your clip. That's something I've meant to do with my GCs,
but alas I'm a bit of an perfectionist when it comes to these things and so I've
never been happy with how my tests sounded. :bgsmile:

ATAG_Headshot
May-27-2012, 21:36
I tend to be a bit of a perfectionist too, but when I watched a bunch of actual old guncams the sound was often fairly off/not perfect. That not only gives you a little room for error but allows you to sometimes purposely have it off. If you watch close in my vid there is a moment or two where the gun is firing with no sound or not firing with sound. Old guncams and news reels were far from perfect so have a little fun with it ;)

Doc
Jun-13-2012, 00:07
http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=32638

:thumbsup:

ATAG_Headshot
Jun-13-2012, 07:22
:eek: :hugesmiley: didn't expect that. Awesome :D

ATAG_Knuckles
Jun-13-2012, 10:28
Headshots getting his 15 minutes !!!!

actually that is quite a good film :thumbsup:

would love to see more

ATAG_EvangelusE
Jun-13-2012, 14:09
The Black and White sections look very real....great to watch.

ATAG_Headshot
Jun-13-2012, 15:29
I would be happy to do another one with a spitfire guncam, however I have been rather busy lately and quite frankly I'm not that great with spits. If anyone gets some good single player tracks with external views and view changing and all that turned on though I would be happy to use the footage to make another one.

Oersted
Jun-29-2012, 11:39
Headshot, I love your vid as well (I'm the Freycinet guy who put in the last reply in the 1C thread). Definitely the best guncam vid I have yet seen from any sim, photorealistic at times.

ATAG_Headshot
Jun-29-2012, 12:46
Thank you very much! It honestly makes me happy to hear it and the response this movie has had motivates me to not only do more but to try learn more about the editing and improve on it!

Marmus
Jun-29-2012, 13:35
Wow! Very impressive editing work!! Looking forward to more of your work!