PDA

View Full Version : Ju-88 Bombsight Automation isn't working

Cybermat47
Apr-05-2015, 07:08
Hey guys, I've recently started trying out level bombing, specifically in the Ju-88. The only problem is, the bombsight automation doesn't seem to be working.

Here's what I do (the order I do this in changes every time BTW); I input the IAS and altitude, centre the bombsight on the target with the bombsight distance keys (is there a specific way to do this? I think I might be doing it wrong), open the bomb bays, arm the bombs, and turn on automation (this is always what I do last). But the bombs don't drop by themselves, so I have to drop them manually, which messes up the accuracy.

Also, all my tests have been at 4000m, with the autopilot flying.

I don't think this is because I don't account for slide-slip - that would just make my bombs less accurate.

I'm not fiddling with distribution modes, distribution delay, or salvo quantity either; I'm leaving them all as default.

And finally, I unchecked the 'realistic bombing' option.

Thanks guys :)

Lucan
Apr-05-2015, 07:51
Your basic approach is sound.
Try also selecting series or salvo instead of default single,adjust the length from default 1 to infinite.
Providing your automation is on (You do) and any mode of autopilot is on bombs will be released.

Lucan.

ATAG_Lolsav
Apr-05-2015, 10:11
As pointed out i think you are only missing 2 things:

1) Open bombay doors?

2) salvo = drop all ordinance in 1 single drop; Series = drop the ammount selected (you have to set keys for series), ie, 1, 2, 3, etc, all with intervals; Single= 1 bomb only - By default, its single selected

Chuck_Owl
Apr-05-2015, 14:10
Doesn't the bombsight use TAS instead of IAS for the Ju-88 and the He-111?

The Blennie bombsight uses TAS as well. Not sure about the BR20 though...

InvaderZim
Apr-05-2015, 18:11
Here is the sequence I use without fail:

ALWAYS LOAD LOW ALTITUDE FUSES

1. SET BOMBS TO SALVO BEFORE TAKE OFF
2. SET "EXPECTED" SPEED AND ALTITUDE BEFORE TAKE OFF
3. ARM BOMBS
4. BOMBAY DOORS OPEN
5. COME TO COURSE AND ACTIVATE COURSE AUTO PILOT
6. ACTIVATE MODE 22 AUTOPILOT (Mode 22 "must" be functioning for the bomb sight automation to work.)
7. READJUST ENGINE/PROP SPEED TO ACCOUNT FOR NOSE DROP AND RPM PICK UP. (Expect to loose about 0.5 to 1Km after entering mode 22.)
7. MAKE FINAL TARGET LINE UP WITH MODE 22 ENGAGED.
8. REFINE ALTITUDE AND AIRSPEED INPUT FROM AIRCRAFT INSTRUMENTS (into bomb sight).
9. ENGAGE BOMB SIGHT AUTOMATION. For me CTL (number pad 5)

because you are using the aircraft speed and altitude you will have a slight drift in the sight from center (0) to 12 oclock.
If you have 2 screens you can use the Lotfe7 bomb buddy to minimize the drift. I don't cuz I only have 1 monitor and hate tabbing. You can use Lotfe7 to set up before take off though. I have never experienced slip in the 88.

10. USE THE BOMB SIGHT UP AND DOWN ALL THE WAY TO TARGET TO CORRECT FOR DRIFT. AIM SLIGHTLY LOW (6 Oclock because of drift) TO THE ACTUAL DESIRED DROP POINT.
11. STOP MAKING ADJUSTMENT AT THE LAST TICK MARK BEFORE 30 DEGREES.
12. BOMBS DROP AUTOMATICALLY BETWEEN 25 AND 30 DEGREES. Usually 30 degree mark. You will see a slight wiggle in the bomb sight when the bombs drop.
13. MOVE TO VENTRAL GUNNER TO TO MAKE SURE THE BOMBS DROPPED.
14. RETURN TO PILOT POSITION, DISENGAGE AUTOPILOT AND GET THE HECK OUTA DODGE!

ZIM

InvaderZim
Apr-05-2015, 18:26
BTW, you can tell when automation is working when the yellow arrow is moving along the degree tick marks on the left of the sight.

Bombs strike from center of the sight and run forward to 12 oclock so account for that on your aim point.

Also I have realistic bombing CHECKED! I honestly don't know if that matters in the MP server as I think it is default full real. Are you doing this in SP or MP?