PDA

View Full Version : Boy I wish I was a kid again.

Doc
Jun-02-2012, 12:45
Keller!

Wish I had this when I was a kid.

Family friendly gun range offering birthday parties for kids

http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/Family-friendly-gun-range-offering-birthday-parties-for-kids-156497115.html

ATAG_Snapper
Jun-02-2012, 13:02
Good stuff! They've got three factors covered: safety, education, and FUN! :thumbsup:

ChiefRedCloud
Jun-02-2012, 13:29
I like it ..... My Granddad tought me to shoot out in the back woods ..... And unlike the antigun mom I believe that learning what it is to shoot a gun will teach a child how dangerous they can be.

But remember, the key here is a parient taking the time to teach their children at all. Teach them to be afraid, and they will be. Teach them to stand up and be respectful, they will be. Don't teach them at all ...... well the grave yards and prisons are full of those examples. :pouting:

III./ZG76_Keller
Jun-04-2012, 13:24
I think I may have my birthday there this year! :hpyclp:

335th_GRAthos
Jun-04-2012, 14:37
When I read this I thought it was madness.

But after seeing the video, I admit there is sense behind it. After all it is better to give an 8year old kid a feeling about how guns are and how to respectfully treat them, than giving them an Xbox to play Call of Duty: Better to learn to shoot at paper targets than getting used to human targets...

Still, I can not imagine what kind of kids party it will be inside the gun smoke and everybody wearing ear protection...LOL

~S~

Doc
Jun-04-2012, 15:05
They are no different than any tool in the garage. A shovel will do you in just as quick. I can't believe we allow people to navigate a 4000 pound automobile (especially Bliss) with little training and yet autos kill far more people than anything else.

If we really look at these things objectively we'll see that really it's just a tool and its at the hands of the operator that problems occur - no different than anything else in the world.

It's the person not the object.

ATAG_Snapper
Jun-04-2012, 15:13
Gotta love Texas! :thumbsup:

Have done a lot of pistol and long gun shooting in Ontario, Canada. Lots of rules, regs, and hurdles to jump to do so. It's a nanny state -- the government has a hand in everything.

Three months ago a four year old girl living a few blocks from me here in Kitchener drew a picture on a whiteboard in kindergarden of her "Daddy fighting bad guys and monsters with a gun". The teacher informed the principal, the principal called Family Services, who then called the police. When the guy, Jessie Sansone, arrived at the school to pick his daughter up the cops were waiting -- handcuffed, taken to the cop station, stripped searched, and charged "with possession of a firearm". His three kids, including the 4 year old, were removed from the school without the parents' knowledge, driven across town, and questioned "about their Daddy's guns". The mother was picked up at the house and taken to the police station -- no explanations. She was not told what was happening, nor was her incarcerated husband told why the charges had been laid. The police then executed a search on his house without a warrant. All they found was a $15 plastic gun purchased at Canadian Tire by Sansone's brother. After several hours of being held naked (with a blanket) in a jail cell, Sansone was released, charges were dropped, and the kids were returned to their parents.

Today, June 4, the police finally concluded their own internal investigation and it was decided an apology was in order for Sansone and his family. Sansone has removed his kids from the school and enrolled them in the school bordering my backyard. He is seeking legal aid to sue the parties concerned, but no lawyer will touch his case. The local newspaper, The Kitchener Record, ran an editorial stating that while this was an unfortunate incident, it's best to err on the side of caution when it comes to guns. The School Board Superintendent stated on TV that teachers are "co-parents" and must always be alert for any signs of child abuse or endangerment. Family Services will make no comment, other than confirm that Jessie Sansone and his wife are now "on open file" because of this incident.

The Toronto Sun figured there HAD to be more than this, and dug into Jessie Sansone's background. Other than a run in with cops when he was a kid (no weapons involved), he was squeaky clean. He actually worked as an Educational Assistant at the school in question and had passed a rigorous background check.

Oh, and the infamous picture that started this whole thing? It had been erased off the whiteboard before the cops arrived at the school. They had based their actions entirely on the Family Services complaint and the verbal description given them by the teacher that the gun "was very detailed".

I doubt this would've happened in Texas! :pouting:

ATAG_Deacon
Jun-04-2012, 15:38
I doubt this would've happened in Texas!

In Texas the teacher would have worked with the child to ensure the proper parts of the weapon were labeled appropriately in the drawing :bgsmile:

ATAG_Snapper
Jun-04-2012, 16:00
In Texas the teacher would have worked with the child to ensure the proper parts of the weapon were labeled appropriately in the drawing :bgsmile:

No question!!!! ::Grin:

DRIVE FRIENDLY -- THE TEXAS WAY! :bgsmile:

Doc
Jun-04-2012, 17:33
I've seen your video of the ride that included Texas.

I cannot imagine riding that long.

I use to have a goldwing. I tucked it into the back of my pickup and drove to Carlsbad - unloaded it THEN rode up to Queen, New Mexico. lol

ATAG_Snapper
Jun-04-2012, 20:06
You did it wisely.

We weren't bad asses, nor smart asses....we were SORE asses!!:bgsmile: